+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother's first name is mispelled

FilCanCouple

Star Member
Sep 16, 2017
Hello all!

So I finally got my Vietnamese police certificate 2 but there's a typographical error of my mother's first name. Will this be a problem? [My mother is not included in my permanent resident application but I wrote down her complete name in the additional family information form.]

Getting a certificate in a foreign country is a hassle. Will Canada immigration reject the certificate if the name is misspelled?

Need your advice.

Thank you!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
not sure if typographical error of mother's first name will be a problem....you may send the PCC and provide explanation or you may call IRCC to advice.

By phone. Call the IRCC Call Centre (1-888-242-2100), from within Canada only

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all!

So I finally got my Vietnamese police certificate 2 but there's a typographical error of my mother's first name. Will this be a problem? [My mother is not included in my permanent resident application but I wrote down her complete name in the additional family information form.]

Getting a certificate in a foreign country is a hassle. Will Canada immigration reject the certificate if the name is misspelled?

Need your advice.

Thank you!
Hi

That's fine. Just include a little explanation.

glen1990

Jun 9, 2015
Category........
FAM
I respond in the public section of the forum. Post your message here.
I was looking for an answer on a question for a friend and I realized I had made the same error. so just to refresh my situation. My mother in law's name is spelled JEANETTE on her ID card which I was looking at when filling out forms but on my husband's birth certificate and our marriage certificate it is spelled JEANNETT. I sent my application yesterday, so you think it wont be an issue?

my friend's situation is a bit similar. Her husband's last name is missing a letter also on all his documents, they realized the error when gathering sibling's information and noticed the difference. They are ready to send application but are worried about the discrepancy with how his last name is spelled and that it doesn't match his sibling's and mother

I appreciate you opinion as you seem like you know your stuff.

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was looking for an answer on a question for a friend and I realized I had made the same error. so just to refresh my situation. My mother in law's name is spelled JEANETTE on her ID card which I was looking at when filling out forms but on my husband's birth certificate and our marriage certificate it is spelled JEANNETT. I sent my application yesterday, so you think it wont be an issue?

my friend's situation is a bit similar. Her husband's last name is missing a letter also on all his documents, they realized the error when gathering sibling's information and noticed the difference. They are ready to send application but are worried about the discrepancy with how his last name is spelled and that it doesn't match his sibling's and mother

I appreciate you opinion as you seem like you know your stuff.

thanks
As I said, an app will not be returned for a minor spelling mistake.

FilCanCouple

Star Member
Sep 16, 2017
what if the error was noticed after the application was sent? will they return back?
Hello Glen1990,

They never said anything about the error. I made a case enquiry regarding my certificate and they replied it was received by the visa office. That's it. They never commented about the spelling mistake.

Hope this helps lessen your worries.

glen1990

Jun 9, 2015
Category........
FAM
Hello Glen1990,

They never said anything about the error. I made a case enquiry regarding my certificate and they replied it was received by the visa office. That's it. They never commented about the spelling mistake.

Hope this helps lessen your worries.
how long did it take for them to respond? my application is set to arrive today so I wont do anything yet.

FilCanCouple

Star Member
Sep 16, 2017
how long did it take for them to respond? my application is set to arrive today so I wont do anything yet.
Application was sent in July 2018, got AOR November 2018 and certificates were provided later as requested. Just make sure all required docs were there and you signed everything that is needed to be signed.