+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother-in-law traveling to Canada

Arungrth

Aug 16, 2019
Hello there,

Myself in PR status and my wife is a Canadian. We are living in Canada since 2015
We are expecting our first baby in December 2019. So My wife likes to bring my mother in law to Canada.

My wife’s family got their Canadian citizenship back in 1980’s, actually my wife and brother in law were born in Canada. But they all went back to India in 1991.

Now my mother in law got their Indian passport after went back to India. I presume in early 1990’s the rules were not that clear so they just got the indian password like normal way.
( except for their children, still maintain OCI )

Now back in 2016 when our mother in law visited us in Canada, the immigrants officer gave a facilitate visa ( since it’s a Indian passport) to travel to Canada. If neede she can apply for Canadian password after landing in Canada.
But she flew back without applying Canadian password as that was never intended.

Now when she try to apply for Canadian visa to visit us December, it got rejected and immigration officers were asking to apply for Canadian passport and travel to Canada as Canadian.

Now she was afraid that, it cause an issue at Indian immigration as she doesn't have proper OCI.

Is there any other way to get sort this to get her to Canada and back to India?

If she apply for Canadian passport in India will there any consequences from Indian embassy at the airport?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello there,

Myself in PR status and my wife is a Canadian. We are living in Canada since 2015
We are expecting our first baby in December 2019. So My wife likes to bring my mother in law to Canada.

My wife’s family got their Canadian citizenship back in 1980’s, actually my wife and brother in law were born in Canada. But they all went back to India in 1991.

Now my mother in law got their Indian passport after went back to India. I presume in early 1990’s the rules were not that clear so they just got the indian password like normal way.
( except for their children, still maintain OCI )

Now back in 2016 when our mother in law visited us in Canada, the immigrants officer gave a facilitate visa ( since it’s a Indian passport) to travel to Canada. If neede she can apply for Canadian password after landing in Canada.
But she flew back without applying Canadian password as that was never intended.

Now when she try to apply for Canadian visa to visit us December, it got rejected and immigration officers were asking to apply for Canadian passport and travel to Canada as Canadian.

Now she was afraid that, it cause an issue at Indian immigration as she doesn't have proper OCI.

Is there any other way to get sort this to get her to Canada and back to India?

If she apply for Canadian passport in India will there any consequences from Indian embassy at the airport?
If she is a Canadian citizen, she MUST travel to Canada using a Canadian passport now. She is not eligible for any type of visa.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

She could, of course, cross the land border with the USA.