+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother holds Canadian passport but has no citizenship card

Richard Love

Jan 21, 2016
Hi there,

My mum holds a canadian passport as she was born in Hamilton, OT, in 1955. She doesn't have a citizenship card, but does have her birth certificate. She is a British citizen and resides here.

I want to apply for Canadian citizenship, and I have the correct form (CIT 0001) to apply, but where the form asks for my mother's Canadian Certificate number, will I be able to put on her Birth certificate number or passport number, or will it get rejected?

Therefore, does my mother have to apply for her citizenship number before I can apply for mine? Or can I just use her Birth certificate as the evidence?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Richard Love said:
Hi there,

My mum holds a canadian passport as she was born in Hamilton, OT, in 1955. She doesn't have a citizenship card, but does have her birth certificate. She is a British citizen and resides here.

I want to apply for Canadian citizenship, and I have the correct form (CIT 0001) to apply, but where the form asks for my mother's Canadian Certificate number, will I be able to put on her Birth certificate number or passport number, or will it get rejected?

Therefore, does my mother have to apply for her citizenship number before I can apply for mine? Or can I just use her Birth certificate as the evidence?
Birth certificate is all you need for your mother's proof of citizenship. You need to submit her original birth certificate with the application. You use the birth registration number in the Canadian citizenship no box.