+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Most effective way to successfully sponsor partner to Canada

mjnd

Dec 9, 2019
Hello. I'd like to explain my current situation, and future scenarios I have anticipated.

I am a 25 year old woman in a same-sex relationship for over 3 years now. We are both from the Philippines. I'm currently waiting on a final decision for my study permit and if all goes well then I will be in CA for the 2021 fall intake. We both desire to be in Canada together, and we've researched that an effective way would have been to go down the SP + OWP path. However, we're unable to even meet the requirements for OWP, since we're not common-law partners and being in the Philippines, same-sex marriage is not legal. We do share a bank account, and I I am a beneficiary to her insurance policies. We have pictures and conversations that can prove our relationship. People are aware that we are in a relationship. Her family is much more accepting of our relationship. My parents were very much homophobic from the beginning and it was only very recently that they've "acknowledged" our relationship. We've gone through quite the ordeal because of my parents, such as physical and verbal abuse (done to me alone), restricted from seeing each other, and a complete mental turmoil. I'm sure you all get the picture. And for that, we simply don't have the support on my side. This is also why we couldn't live together or own vehicles together. I was pretty much on a tight leash. My parents are also the ones funding my application, so it's obvious why I couldn't declare my girlfriend anywhere on the application.

Now, I've been reading up on what I can get online and from the experiences of others. They're saying that the option I could go for now is a spousal visa, since the OWP is out of the question. We're all for getting married, it's been something we've long discussed and we're decided on it. If we weren't living in a country that's stuck in the stone-age then we would have gotten married a long time ago. Commitment isn't an issue at all. Which among these situations below is the most effective and realistic approach to our future plans?

1) While I am on a study permit, she comes over to CA on a tourist visa. We get married in CA, she goes back home, and I sponsor her when I am eligible.
*** this means I have to wait a few years until I become a PR, correct?

2) While I am on a study permit, she comes over to CA on a tourist visa. We live together for a consecutive 6 months, therefore qualifying for the common-law? (correct me if I'm wrong), and we're able to convert her tourist visa into an open work permit somehow or a working visa, provided she's scouted by an employer who is willing (again, correct me if this is not plausible) and we work to achieving PR status together

3) While I am on study permit, we get married in any country that same-sex marriage is legalized. Can I sponsor her as my dependent, for an OWP, afterwards?

I would love to hear your thoughts and be educated further.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. I'd like to explain my current situation, and future scenarios I have anticipated.

I am a 25 year old woman in a same-sex relationship for over 3 years now. We are both from the Philippines. I'm currently waiting on a final decision for my study permit and if all goes well then I will be in CA for the 2021 fall intake. We both desire to be in Canada together, and we've researched that an effective way would have been to go down the SP + OWP path. However, we're unable to even meet the requirements for OWP, since we're not common-law partners and being in the Philippines, same-sex marriage is not legal. We do share a bank account, and I I am a beneficiary to her insurance policies. We have pictures and conversations that can prove our relationship. People are aware that we are in a relationship. Her family is much more accepting of our relationship. My parents were very much homophobic from the beginning and it was only very recently that they've "acknowledged" our relationship. We've gone through quite the ordeal because of my parents, such as physical and verbal abuse (done to me alone), restricted from seeing each other, and a complete mental turmoil. I'm sure you all get the picture. And for that, we simply don't have the support on my side. This is also why we couldn't live together or own vehicles together. I was pretty much on a tight leash. My parents are also the ones funding my application, so it's obvious why I couldn't declare my girlfriend anywhere on the application.

Now, I've been reading up on what I can get online and from the experiences of others. They're saying that the option I could go for now is a spousal visa, since the OWP is out of the question. We're all for getting married, it's been something we've long discussed and we're decided on it. If we weren't living in a country that's stuck in the stone-age then we would have gotten married a long time ago. Commitment isn't an issue at all. Which among these situations below is the most effective and realistic approach to our future plans?

1) While I am on a study permit, she comes over to CA on a tourist visa. We get married in CA, she goes back home, and I sponsor her when I am eligible.

2) While I am on a study permit, she comes over to CA on a tourist visa. We live together for a consecutive 6 months, therefore qualifying for the common-law? (correct me if I'm wrong), and we're able to convert her tourist visa into an open work permit somehow or a working visa, provided she's scouted by an employer who is willing (again, correct me if this is not plausible) and we work to achieving PR status together

3) While I am on study permit, we get married in any country that same-sex marriage is legalized. Can I sponsor her as my dependent, for an OWP, afterwards?

I don't know what you mean by a spousal visa. There's no such thing. Right now the only thing she qualifies for is a TRV which she would need to apply for independently. This application won't be in any way dependent on your since you are not common law or married. She would need to qualify and be approved for the TRV all on her own. Your current relationship isn't recognized by Canada for immigration purposes. So even if your parents were fine with it, there would have been no way to include her in your study permit application.

1) If she is able to get a TRV approved and comes to Canada, you can get married (or live together for a full year to become common law) and then she can apply for a spousal open work permit based on your study permit.
2) You need to live together for a full year continuously (not six months) to become common law.
3) Yes.

macrice

Jan 2, 2021
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
03-06-2020
AOR Received.
19-12-2020
Med's Request
15-01-2021
Passport Req..
01-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
01-07-2021

Common law, needs 1 year atleast.

Im from the philippines also and I am in a same sex rel and my sponsor is my canadian gf, our application was Conjugal application. Di mo kailangan kasal sakanya only thing is need e prove a relationship ng sobra, you can sponsor your gf when youre PR and the nexttime she comes to canada get married. I think magkaka redflag kalang sa parte na di approve ang side mo, pero pede mo e explain yun sa letter mo sa immigration officer. You can read my previous post sa conjugal thread about sa application ko.

Last edited: