+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

More than two years?

MB from Ott

Star Member
Jul 31, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm sponsoring my husband. I understand his application will take longer than most for the following reasons:
- Syrian citizen
- Muslim name
- Military service (conscription)
- We have now lived in 3 different countries together (Jordan, China & Thailand)

We submitted our application May 8, 2018 and everything was going smoothly. They asked for additional documents (military table), and received and approved them. Since January 19th, 2019 we haven't heard anything from IRCC. I have contacted my visa office via Webform (Hong Kong), my local MP in Canada, ordered and received Immigration notes as well as CBSA notes.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what we can do to make it feel like we've done everything we can? The wait is literally killing us...started therapy 2 weeks ago.

Minian

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
Hi ! I know how you feel. March 8 applicant and still waiting for an answer .the only things that is 'complicated' in our application is the fact that my husband have a child that he have no contact with and we had to prouve them that we cannot have a medical for him. so they accept to take the child of the demande. But that is not why it take so long in our case becaus we see by ordering our notes that they open our files for the very first time the 8 august 2019. way more than a year after the deposit.

Did your MP Communicate with IRCC for you ?
Did you send update request by your self or called ?

Here whats we did and what the MP did for us that make move things.

Nov 2019; our attourney send a webform for an update ( last communication from ircc was in aug 2019 so a long time ago )
Dec 2019; They finally remember us and we received AIP and SA

Feb 24; I reach my local MP that was willing to help us so he send an update request
march 02 ( one week after mp request ) : IRCC send us communication

may 8 ; Mp send a support letter ( that I wrote my self lol ) saying that they dont think that 26 months is justifiable and then we put the link to the 'équité procédural ' this is the guideline that agent are supposed to follow and there is a point ; ' unjustifiable processing time '. So my goal was to wake them up about our case and to show them that they dont follow their own rules. I called this letter ' the bomb ' lol BUT be carefull if someone want to use this !! I did that becaus I knew without any doubt that it was their fault if it'S long becaus I analysed for hours my notes.
may 15 ( one week after the mp letter ;) Ircc finally accept to remove the child and better THEY GIVE OUR FILES to another agent !!!!

I think the only way to move things is to make you hear.
We are reaching 27 months . Still no answer. Never in my biggest nightmare I tought it could take so long.
I wish you good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: MB from Ott

MB from Ott

Star Member
Jul 31, 2018
Hi Minian! Thanks for your response... Sounds like you guys have had quite a difficult time. I'm happy they finally gave your case to another agent, maybe that will help you see progress!

I didn't realise équité procédural was a thing, I'll have to do more research into it to see if it is valid in our case! It may not be, but at least it's something to occupy a day or so! I hope you hear good news soon, keep us posted!!

Reactions: Minian

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm sponsoring my husband. I understand his application will take longer than most for the following reasons:
- Syrian citizen
- Muslim name
- Military service (conscription)
- We have now lived in 3 different countries together (Jordan, China & Thailand)

We submitted our application May 8, 2018 and everything was going smoothly. They asked for additional documents (military table), and received and approved them. Since January 19th, 2019 we haven't heard anything from IRCC. I have contacted my visa office via Webform (Hong Kong), my local MP in Canada, ordered and received Immigration notes as well as CBSA notes.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what we can do to make it feel like we've done everything we can? The wait is literally killing us...started therapy 2 weeks ago.
Your husband’s biggest issue is the fact that he was in the Syrian military. For various reasons Canada has a hard time verifying someone’s role in the Syrian military which is why your application is likely taking so much time.

Minian

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
Hi Minian! Thanks for your response... Sounds like you guys have had quite a difficult time. I'm happy they finally gave your case to another agent, maybe that will help you see progress!

I didn't realise équité procédural was a thing, I'll have to do more research into it to see if it is valid in our case! It may not be, but at least it's something to occupy a day or so! I hope you hear good news soon, keep us posted!!
Things move a little here. We received Pre-landing on may 21 but our representent see it just yesterday. I'm supposed to be happy about this letter but in fact i'm not. I don't want to spoil my self. According to the agent I spoke with yesterday the security check are not started and he don't see that they've asked to extend the medical that is expired since 2019 sept.
And from what I'v read here some people have wait a long time between pre-arrive and DM.

The only things positive about this letter is that they are working on our files.

What about you ? Some news ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Things move a little here. We received Pre-landing on may 21 but our representent see it just yesterday. I'm supposed to be happy about this letter but in fact i'm not. I don't want to spoil my self. According to the agent I spoke with yesterday the security check are not started and he don't see that they've asked to extend the medical that is expired since 2019 sept.
And from what I'v read here some people have wait a long time between pre-arrive and DM.

The only things positive about this letter is that they are working on our files.

What about you ? Some news ?
How do you have pre-landing if security screening hasn’t started?

Minian

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
How do you have pre-landing if security screening hasn’t started?
That is what I dont understand
I send multiple request by MP asking them why security isn't started and they never really answer to the question.
I order my note ( april ) and study them with the thread about GCMS note that eagle333 made. In this thread he explain that he discover that when you see 'not started' in the security it meens that they are in progress. If it's true they start security check on aug 8 2019 the same day they've started the processing of the application for permanent residence . BUT I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE.
the agent on the phone sees the same thing I see in my notes so maybe that's why he told me that they are not started. I wish with all my hart that eagle333 is right and that the security check start on aug 8 2019.
And i told my self that if they send pre arrival its means something happens in my files ? they dont send this letter anytime with no reason ?

You know everything drives me crazy after 27 months and I cannot be positive anymore.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is what I dont understand
I send multiple request by MP asking them why security isn't started and they never really answer to the question.
I order my note ( april ) and study them with the thread about GCMS note that eagle333 made. In this thread he explain that he discover that when you see 'not started' in the security it meens that they are in progress. If it's true they start security check on aug 8 2019 the same day they've started the processing of the application for permanent residence . BUT I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE.
the agent on the phone sees the same thing I see in my notes so maybe that's why he told me that they are not started. I wish with all my hart that eagle333 is right and that the security check start on aug 8 2019.
And i told my self that if they send pre arrival its means something happens in my files ? they dont send this letter anytime with no reason ?

You know everything drives me crazy after 27 months and I cannot be positive anymore.
How do you know you have AIP?

Minian

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
We receive 2 letters on dec 20 2019
AIP and SA. I did not know that this letter was called Approbation in principal till I make research here and post the letter.
DM made on sponsor side that day.