+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moratorium on Food Service Sector

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is anyone here affected by the current moratorium on the food services sector? If so, how long do you anticipate this moratorium to last for? Please give a logical explanation for your forecast date.

I'll give mine. I am somewhat doubtful of it ending this month despite the news reports that say so. It's really difficult to believe anything the media says about the date when the moratorium will be lifted. I'll only believe that the moratorium has ended when I see an official statement by Kenney indicating so.

adees

Star Member
Dec 3, 2013
stopDA said:
Is anyone here affected by the current moratorium on the food services sector? If so, how long do you anticipate this moratorium to last for? Please give a logical explanation for your forecast date.

I'll give mine. I am somewhat doubtful of it ending this month despite the news reports that say so. It's really difficult to believe anything the media says about the date when the moratorium will be lifted. I'll only believe that the moratorium has ended when I see an official statement by Kenney indicating so.
where did you read that news regarding the moratorium has ended?

mims2000

Sep 6, 2012
we have a regular customer, an owner of a fast food restaurant and he said that 3rd week of june there will be news regarding the new rules. he just didnt indicate what those new changes are. hopefully it is true,

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adees said:
where did you read that news regarding the moratorium has ended?
I didn't say that the moratorium has ended. I saw a news article in which a member of Parliament stated that the moratorium would have a solution within a month from May 22. Here it is:

http://www.biv.com/article/20140523/BIV0115/140529947/-1/BIV/freeze-on-temporary-foreign-worker-program-may-end-soon-bc-mp

mims2000 said:
we have a regular customer, an owner of a fast food restaurant and he said that 3rd week of june there will be news regarding the new rules. he just didnt indicate what those new changes are. hopefully it is true,
I have no idea how true or false that assumption is. I'd assume that's just his speculation.

disappointed10

Nov 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2014
Med's Done....
13-12-2014
Passport Req..
august 19 2015
One of my friend who works at starbucks says that their employer talk to them and that they are allowed now to applied for LMO as long as they meet the requirements so maybe the government didnt announce it yet but actually their already put it in action :)

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
disappointed10 said:
One of my friend who works at starbucks says that their employer talk to them and that they are allowed now to applied for LMO as long as they meet the requirements so maybe the government didnt announce it yet but actually their already put it in action :)
Oh really! That is surprising. Such a major update, and I wonder how can it by-pass media. :eek: :eek:
I hope this is true but, you never know :'(

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
disappointed10 said:
What are the new requirements? I doubt that they'd put their new LMO process into action without first announcing it on the ESDC website.

Man415

Jul 25, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2014
AOR Received.
10-02-2014
Med's Request
10-02-14
Med's Done....
04-03-2014
Passport Req..
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
disappointed10 said:
I thought Starbucks doesn't employ foreign workers on LMO?I have talked to a couple of recruiters and have informed me that they don't issue LMO and have to be PR to work for the company.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not to be Johnny Raincloud or anything, but it sounds like the moratorium might last for months to come:

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1062344/conservatives-want-better-data-to-help-fix-temporary-foreign-worker-program/

This "quarterly job vacancy survey" of Kenney's might take some time to implement. The current fiscal quarter ends on June 30. The end of the next quarter is on September 30. Judging by the article, it seems like Kenney's reforms won't be complete until this data is collected at the end of a fiscal quarter for which they'll collect data. Therefore, he probably won't lift the moratorium until the changes are fully in place.

The best case scenario is that they'll use data for this quarter at the end of June, compile their quarterly report and then start processing new LMOs using that data. It takes Statistics Canada 2 weeks or so to compile monthly unemployment data, so I'll assume that it will be the same for this jobs report. Therefore, it seems like we're looking at mid-July in the best-case scenario.

The worst case scenario is that they'll use the data from the next quarter for their LMO decision-making process. Each quarter lasts 3 months and nobody wants to wait that long.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
The below link says 'Some time in the next couple of weeks Employment Minister Jason Kenney will announce a number of reforms to the program, which for the past four decades has been used by employers to fill gaps in the supply of certain types of labour.'

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9930090

I hope moratorium will be lifted at the same time and hopefully new changes will not seriously impact us.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Intocanada said:
The below link says 'Some time in the next couple of weeks Employment Minister Jason Kenney will announce a number of reforms to the program, which for the past four decades has been used by employers to fill gaps in the supply of certain types of labour.'

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9930090

I hope moratorium will be lifted at the same time and hopefully new changes will not seriously impact us.
It seems like this is just some secondary news media reiterating the same old, "in a few weeks, reforms will be announced by Kenney" line. The fact of the matter is that nobody really knows for sure when this moratorium will be lifted. The news media continues to give us a bunch of vague predictions and sometimes false predictions about its end date. Even Kenney himself lied to us by stating on multiple occasions that he'll announces his changes in weeks rather than months. Only he knows for sure how much longer we can expect this moratorium to last.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
stopDA said:
It seems like this is just some secondary news media reiterating the same old, "in a few weeks, reforms will be announced by Kenney" line. The fact of the matter is that nobody really knows for sure when this moratorium will be lifted. The news media continues to give us a bunch of vague predictions and sometimes false predictions about its end date. Even Kenney himself lied to us by stating on multiple occasions that he'll announces his changes in weeks rather than months. Only he knows for sure how much longer we can expect this moratorium to last.
Might be true. I get a feeling, he is running a pilot experiment on how does market behave if moratorium is in place. May be, he wants to see the impact on Canadian economy, at least food industry.

StopDA - I understand how frustrating it should be but Keep the hope man. Everything will go good!

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Intocanada said:
Might be true. I get a feeling, he is running a pilot experiment on how does market behave if moratorium is in place. May be, he wants to see the impact on Canadian economy, at least food industry.

StopDA - I understand how frustrating it should be but Keep the hope man. Everything will go good!
Yeah, it's really frustrating. I just wish that they didn't lie to us, because now it's difficult to believe anything that anybody reports. Three weeks ago, some seemingly legitimate MPs told us that the moratorium would end in early June, but that didn't happen. Kenney also told several groups of people (including the mayors of cities) that the moratorium will last for weeks not months. But we're already 7 weeks into the moratorium. That's nearly 2 months so far.

Politicians always lie for personal gain. It doesn't come as a big shocker to me that Kenney as well as other politicians lied about the moratorium end date for political gain. After all, he slapped this moratorium on everyone (the just and the unjust) for political gain. At least he had the support of business owners on his side before this moratorium. Now, it looks like he doesn't have any supporters as a result of this moratorium. Critics of the TFWP still hate him and now he's made enemies with restaurant owners and possibly other business owners who fear a similar move against them by ESDC. If political gain was his motive for this moratorium, then he made a huge mistake.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So yesterday, Kenney told the House of Commons that he "will be introducing a robust package of reforms in the near future". I wonder what he means by near future.