+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Montreal

sobol

Dec 4, 2008
Hello All,
I am looking to hear people from Montreal. How serious is the problem of French there? For example, is it possible to find a job for a software engineer with more than 4 years of experience if he is not speaking French? I will much appreciate any information on non-French Montreal.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
French is not a problem to Montreal. It is their language. It is possible to find a job in Montreal without speaking French but they have made it an immigration requirement of theirs in Quebec so you have to learn it anyway. Might as well start now if you want to live there.

sobol

Dec 4, 2008
Leon, Thanks a lot. We don't want to immigrate to Montreal, I just have a work offer there. I am very worried about my spouse and my children, mainly because possible problems with the language.
I heard that if we don't become PR, my children can be exempted of learning in French schools, and kindergartens, but the question is do they actually have public schools with instruction in English?
I don't see that we can pay for private schools. Do you have some information about this?
Many thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?q=montreal+public+school+english

sobol

Dec 4, 2008
Thank you. I found some links myself, but I couldn't understand who can study in these schools if their local government requires from all pupils to study in French school except probably the children of foreign workers. It seems to be an absurd to me. But I may be very wrong. I really don't know the situation good. I don't mind and would be happy that we all will learn one language more, but I can't see that my children can start from the schools with instruction in French.

edgarsitow

Sep 11, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 19 2009
Doc's Request.
April 26, 2012, ARC Request on August 31, 2012
File Transfer...
14 October 2009 to Mexico City (Original) April 04, 2012 (re-processing after appeal allowed)
Med's Request
April 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 07, 2009 (Original) April 30, 2012 (After appeal allowed)
Interview........
March 23, 2010 DENIED, Filed appeal September 2010
Passport Req..
November 05, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 06, 2012
LANDED..........
November 17, 2012
Unless you and your wife both went to English schools, your children WILL be forced to attend French schools, and like any other immigrant, they will start with basic French-language courses to immerse them. I don't want to be rude or anything but if you're thinking of moving to Quebec in general, please LEARN FRENCH, it is the official language of the province and it will be good for your children if you want to assure them a prosperous future in that lovely province, they will also have English courses, but French is more important; remember the saying my friend, When in Rome....do as the Romans do!

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
Just saw this post and had to respond :)

I am native to Montreal, born here, raised in B.C. and came back to Montreal when I was 9 and haven't left since. French isn't necessarily a problem here unless you look at it that way. And to ease your mind there are plenty of english schools here; elementary, high school college and university. And it isn't really hard to integrate into society as an anglophone. There is a large anglo community here specifically in the West part of the island. Although french is the official language of Quebec it is pretty bilingual here. Sure, lots of signs, storefronts and businesses are in french but you can make do with english just about anywhere.

On the other hand, as edgarsitow mentioned it would be a good idea to learn the language... not just you, but your children as well. It is after all the official language of Quebec. Just think how your children will benefit being bilingual - it's a great plus for anyone. I didn't have a problem learning that language starting at 9 yrs old. Sure, it was a little hard for me in the beginning but I ended up in a french immersion program and am now fluently multi-lingual.

I work for a major corporation here; sure I use my french from time to time (with clients) but for the most part I use only english (all day, every day) . All of our databases, systems, acceses are in english and 90% of my colleagues are english speaking as well. Not a problem! And I'm sure there are several other companies just like this in the city. As a software engineer I don't think you'll have a problem.

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
It really is a great city! It has a strong europeen influence and is a huge melting pot of all kinds of different cultures & religions - I think that's what makes it such a wonderful place!

Our summer's are exploding with life; lots of little cafes, bistros, great restaurants, oodles of festivals (the Comedy Fest aka Juste pour Rire "Just for Laughs", the Jazz Festival of Montreal, the Mtl Film festival,) just to name a few. The things to do here are endless! It's perfect for those that love the outdoors, for those that love shopping & for anyone really!

I recommend a trip out here to anyone who's never been!

mic8400

Star Member
Nov 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great points mentioned above. What I noticed is that if you stay within the downtown area, or to the west side of the island, english is more viable. People at stores generally greet you with "Bonjour, Hi." to see which you respond in. If you respond in english, you'll be addressed in English. HOWEVER I will say that learning French will do a number of things for you and your family. Besides being the official language of the province, it also helps tremendously in the job market ANYWHERE you go to be multi-lingual. Even if you came down here to Miami, FL. There is such a demand for foreign languages that you'd be doing you and your family a great injustice if you didn't learn the language.

Lisa_ren

Aug 18, 2023
What is a good time for new immigrant to land in Montreal for secondary student? New semester or as soon as possible? My daughter is 14years old, grade8 now. Not very good in English, just start learning French now. So if it is good decision to move to Montreal in this Winter, at middle of Grade8? or wait for new semester? I will appreciate to get any suggestion about secondary student study. Thanks a lot!