+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Montreal Dreaming...and questioning!

myarraym

Mar 1, 2018
Hi,

My husband and I want to live in Montreal. The deeper I go into this process, the more questions I have. Here are some that I hope some wise people can help me with...

1. First and perhaps most importantly, does anyone have a reliable, comprehensive resource for the Quebec program procedure? It just does not seem as easy to get to the bottom of the process as the EE program, and that's saying something! (French is OK, but English preferred.)
  2. MonProjet Quebec seems to be...empty at the moment. Is this because the gates haven't opened for 2018? They are supposed to open before the end of this month...what does that mean?
  3. Once applications are accepted for 2018, does anyone have any idea how long the process will take start to finish? We really want to leave!
  4. When I calculated our points score from a list I saw for the Quebec Regular Worker program we have about 89 points. I have no idea if this is strong enough or not. Any thoughts?
  5. We were originally going for the Express Entry program until we learned that if we want to live in Quebec we must apply specifically in their program. If we applied through the EE program, what prevents us from moving to Montreal if we are granted residency? And if it is not legal immediately, how long would we need to live in Canada before it would be?
  6. Can a person apply for the Express Entry program and to Quebec simultaneously?
So many thanks to anyone that can help me! Please answer whatever you can, if you can. Best wishes and best of luck to you.

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
Hi,

My husband and I want to live in Montreal. The deeper I go into this process, the more questions I have. Here are some that I hope some wise people can help me with...

1. First and perhaps most importantly, does anyone have a reliable, comprehensive resource for the Quebec program procedure? It just does not seem as easy to get to the bottom of the process as the EE program, and that's saying something! (French is OK, but English preferred.)
  2. MonProjet Quebec seems to be...empty at the moment. Is this because the gates haven't opened for 2018? They are supposed to open before the end of this month...what does that mean?
  3. Once applications are accepted for 2018, does anyone have any idea how long the process will take start to finish? We really want to leave!
  4. When I calculated our points score from a list I saw for the Quebec Regular Worker program we have about 89 points. I have no idea if this is strong enough or not. Any thoughts?
  5. We were originally going for the Express Entry program until we learned that if we want to live in Quebec we must apply specifically in their program. If we applied through the EE program, what prevents us from moving to Montreal if we are granted residency? And if it is not legal immediately, how long would we need to live in Canada before it would be?
  6. Can a person apply for the Express Entry program and to Quebec simultaneously?
So many thanks to anyone that can help me! Please answer whatever you can, if you can. Best wishes and best of luck to you.

1) General process is to first obtain CSQ, after that apply for federal permanent residency. CSQ is a lot of work, federal not so much but waiting forever.
2) For skilled workers residing overseas, there are application periods that open whenever Quebec decides to open them. And it is first come first serve... so you better hope that Mon Projet is working properly at that time! Intake has not opened this year yet, and I'm sorry but I did not follow when it will. I think you are right that it should open sometime at the end of March. Please do check Immigration Quebec and Mon Projet websites.
3) The Quebec program to get CSQ has significantly slowed down and it is very hard to predict timelines. I applied for CSQ from inside Quebec in regular program in 2016, and I received document request in about 5 months, and I had CSQ in little over 6 months. Now it looks like document request arrives around 8-10 months and CSQ takes a year or more. And this is for applicants inside Canada - if you are outside, it can take even longer, depending on your location. Some people wait years.
4) You need 50 points for individual applicant, 59 if you are accompanied by someone http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/divers/Grille-synthese.pdf
5) Once you get your PR, nobody can stop you from moving wherever in Canada. However, while you are applying, you must show genuine intent to settle in the province you have chosen as your destination. If the agent processing your application has strong reasons to suspect that your intents are not genuine, they may reject your application for misrepresentation. Does it ever happen? I don't know. What is a strong reason? I don't know. There is no official timeline for attempting to build a life in your destination and then deem it either a success or failure, and then possibly move on to another province. But that is what they expect from you, to try to get a job etc. and attempt to establish yourself.
6) Basically yes. If you qualify for EE and apply at the same time as for CSQ... it is very likely that you get EE PR first. PR through Quebec skilled worker program takes about two years if everything goes well - the federal processing time is 14 months at the moment, and on top of that you have the wait for CSQ.

Do think carefully, which path you take to Canada. Also, please read and learn about Quebec, its culture, politics and general stuff about life. I don't know what have been the factors that made you convinced that you want to live in Montreal, but I strongly encourage to get familiar with the life in this province in general, even though Montreal is a unique area of it (live there myself).

I hope someone corrects me if I got something wrong, or adds their insight anyways. Good luck.

Last edited: