Med's Done....
27-11-2010 and 18-12-2011
Interview........
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
17-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2012
+1 Explorer!!! dat was a gr8 piece of info.... Thank you so much!!!!

canada_future

Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0631 & 6242
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 sent with application
as always great source of information. Explorer +1

Kghimire

Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the information, very informative !

explorer101 said:
MISTAKES NEW IMMIGRANTS MAY AVOID AND SOME SUGGESTIONS:-
Housing:
1. Try not to get any residential accommodation on long term basis. This can hamper your job search. Remain on month to month rent. Advance should not be more than one month rent.
2. Try to pay rent by cheque or take receipt of the payment as you may get good tax refund in the 1st year.
3. Do not overspend on housing till you have stable job. Sharing accommodation, basement apartment saves $$$.
4. Do not buy a property on the rosy picture shown by realtor (price increase assurance, rental income etc).
5. Never sign a document of retention (agreement) produced by a realtor for rental as well buying property.

CAR :
1. Bring your old driving licence along with the verification letter ( on letter head of issuing authority)
2. Get your driving licence as soon as possible, even when you have no plan to buy car in coming 2-3 years. As your DL will become old, after few years you would get low insurance quotes, will save $$$.
3. If one can afford, one should buy car as soon as possible. If looking to buy a used car try to buy a car which is in better running condition as the maintenance of vehicle is very very expensive. Normally old cars above $ 6-7000 are ok, any car having run not more than 125000 kms is good.
4. One has to pay tax upto 10 % on even the second hand cars, so it adds up to the cost. Insurance is also paid for 2 months at the beginning.
5. While getting a car insurance tell that you will be just using it for shopping and family entertainment, no regular commuting to workplace, it will decrease ur premium, Ins Co will say you can drive upto 12000km in a year.
6. If possible buy a car that saves gas, in winter your car may give a mileage of 3-4 kms in a lit of gas. One is not allowed to go over 120 ( officially 100 ), 4 cylinder is good. Mini van is handy in carrying large stuff, longdrive, big family.

JOB : ( initial preparation, resume, applying , interview )
1. While in the process of getting immigration start looking for requirements in your own profession, search the job sites, look for the job duties and focus on the duties you have been performing. As Canadian employers look for specialized employees narrow down to a particular job category.
2. Also look for up gradation programe, OSAP is available for new immigrants landing in Ontario and similar program would be available in other provinces also. Under OSAP not only college fee is paid but books expense, home expense is also given.
3. In case of not able to see the job in your own specific category look for a alternate job.
4. Upgrading your communication skills would always help. Start rolling your tongue as Canadians do. Visa waiting time is the best time to do it.
5. Go through the job interview questions and make up the answers. This is valuable time and by doing these steps while in the process of application would help later on. Search the net for the potential job interview questions.
6. Co Op program may help, so one can go for it.

NETWORKING :-
1. Networking always helps in getting any kind of job is Canada. Stay connected with friends, relatives, known and unknowns.

BANKING PRODUCTS :
1. Get a Credit card as soon as possible, if unable to get unsecured, get secured. Always pay before the due date. Credit limit of CC does not mean anything for the credit score.
2. Do not get credit card ( store cards or any other CC ) unless you really need it. Each time your credit report is pulled and it affects the score by about 30 points. You may come across agents, billing clerks offering or insisting CC to save money, my recommendation always say “NO”. Credit product is a debit history and should be avoided. Increasing limit of CC also means pulling fresh credit report, so be cautious about it. Pre approved increase of limit by FI is ok.
3. Do not invest money in Mutual Funds, RRSP and RESP on just the asking of sales person, go through the benefits first which you will get, till that time say NO. Till you are well settled I will suggest do not invest. One may have to pay 10-21 % charges on withdrawing money from RRSP.
4. In Canada you may come across salesman who will befriend you just to sell their products and after selling it, you would never see them again. Beware of these people.
5. Cheques are very expensive in Canada, one may end up paying $ 30-45 for 50-100 cheques. New immigrants may have to move, so do not print your address and phone number on the cheques.

BUSINESS :
1. You can come with a business plan but Canada is difficult place for small business. Stay in Canada for some time, do research and then start it. Business loan is not available till the business is shown in tax returns as a profit venture; Line of credit without disclosing it real purpose can be used for this purpose.
2. Canadians like to go to franchises be it pizza, gym, retail outlet. It is in their mindset.

CONTRACTS :
Always think twice to enter into any kind of contract in Canada, like cell phone, cable, internet connection, rental residential as well as commercial , car lease, energy company, gas co etc etc. It is very difficult to get out of contract. Non payment means that your credit score will go down for the next 3 years and even after that whenever you approach a lender, you will be said to first clear it resultant you may end up paying 1000's for 100's.

CHILDREN :
1. Schools have no books, they rely on worksheets and one need do a lot of project works / presentations. Board site, school site and class site is a useful place.
2. Neighborhood services are mostly good, like public library, gym, basketball, swimming, ice skating. It is membership based and except for library rest is paid.
3. For kids cycle- wallmart, Canadian tire is good. Cycle store are expensive although they claim that their products are of better quality.
4. Toys – wallmart.
5. Money spend on kids sports activities can be deducted from gross income for tax purposes.

AVOID :
1. Expensive stores like metro, loblaws , bay.
2. Cell phone companies like Rogers, Bell.
3. Shoppers drug mart
4. Monthly bus pass, as it a lot of times cost more than a regular ticket
VISIT :
1. Dollar stores for petty things. I like Dollarama.
2. Fresh Co, food basics, Chinese groceries store.
3. Tiger direct, fortune computes for electronics.
4. Wallmart- for everything.
5. On line sites those offer good bargain.
6. Costco-it is membership based, if you have big family only then go there.
7. IKEA- for furniture and home décor, avoid paper furniture.
8. Bed , bath and beyond is good place to buy .
9. Flyers sites.
Note : Most of these suggestions do not apply to people who have oil well in their home country. This is not end of list, I am looking for other landed immigrants to write here some useful tips / suggestion which may benefit new immigrants.

destinationBC

Champion Member
Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
thats history
Doc's Request.
thats history
AOR Received.
thats history
File Transfer...
thats history
Med's Request
thats history
Med's Done....
thats history
Passport Req..
thats history
VISA ISSUED...
got it
LANDED..........
Long Long ago
Precise Info

Thanks EXPLORER

explorer101 said:
MISTAKES NEW IMMIGRANTS MAY AVOID AND SOME SUGGESTIONS:-
Housing:
1. Try not to get any residential accommodation on long term basis. This can hamper your job search. Remain on month to month rent. Advance should not be more than one month rent.
2. Try to pay rent by cheque or take receipt of the payment as you may get good tax refund in the 1st year.
3. Do not overspend on housing till you have stable job. Sharing accommodation, basement apartment saves $$$.
4. Do not buy a property on the rosy picture shown by realtor (price increase assurance, rental income etc).
5. Never sign a document of retention (agreement) produced by a realtor for rental as well buying property.

CAR :
1. Bring your old driving licence along with the verification letter ( on letter head of issuing authority)
2. Get your driving licence as soon as possible, even when you have no plan to buy car in coming 2-3 years. As your DL will become old, after few years you would get low insurance quotes, will save $$$.
3. If one can afford, one should buy car as soon as possible. If looking to buy a used car try to buy a car which is in better running condition as the maintenance of vehicle is very very expensive. Normally old cars above $ 6-7000 are ok, any car having run not more than 125000 kms is good.
4. One has to pay tax upto 10 % on even the second hand cars, so it adds up to the cost. Insurance is also paid for 2 months at the beginning.
5. While getting a car insurance tell that you will be just using it for shopping and family entertainment, no regular commuting to workplace, it will decrease ur premium, Ins Co will say you can drive upto 12000km in a year.
6. If possible buy a car that saves gas, in winter your car may give a mileage of 3-4 kms in a lit of gas. One is not allowed to go over 120 ( officially 100 ), 4 cylinder is good. Mini van is handy in carrying large stuff, longdrive, big family.

JOB : ( initial preparation, resume, applying , interview )
1. While in the process of getting immigration start looking for requirements in your own profession, search the job sites, look for the job duties and focus on the duties you have been performing. As Canadian employers look for specialized employees narrow down to a particular job category.
2. Also look for up gradation programe, OSAP is available for new immigrants landing in Ontario and similar program would be available in other provinces also. Under OSAP not only college fee is paid but books expense, home expense is also given.
3. In case of not able to see the job in your own specific category look for a alternate job.
4. Upgrading your communication skills would always help. Start rolling your tongue as Canadians do. Visa waiting time is the best time to do it.
5. Go through the job interview questions and make up the answers. This is valuable time and by doing these steps while in the process of application would help later on. Search the net for the potential job interview questions.
6. Co Op program may help, so one can go for it.

NETWORKING :-
1. Networking always helps in getting any kind of job is Canada. Stay connected with friends, relatives, known and unknowns.

BANKING PRODUCTS :
1. Get a Credit card as soon as possible, if unable to get unsecured, get secured. Always pay before the due date. Credit limit of CC does not mean anything for the credit score.
2. Do not get credit card ( store cards or any other CC ) unless you really need it. Each time your credit report is pulled and it affects the score by about 30 points. You may come across agents, billing clerks offering or insisting CC to save money, my recommendation always say “NO”. Credit product is a debit history and should be avoided. Increasing limit of CC also means pulling fresh credit report, so be cautious about it. Pre approved increase of limit by FI is ok.
3. Do not invest money in Mutual Funds, RRSP and RESP on just the asking of sales person, go through the benefits first which you will get, till that time say NO. Till you are well settled I will suggest do not invest. One may have to pay 10-21 % charges on withdrawing money from RRSP.
4. In Canada you may come across salesman who will befriend you just to sell their products and after selling it, you would never see them again. Beware of these people.
5. Cheques are very expensive in Canada, one may end up paying $ 30-45 for 50-100 cheques. New immigrants may have to move, so do not print your address and phone number on the cheques.

BUSINESS :
1. You can come with a business plan but Canada is difficult place for small business. Stay in Canada for some time, do research and then start it. Business loan is not available till the business is shown in tax returns as a profit venture; Line of credit without disclosing it real purpose can be used for this purpose.
2. Canadians like to go to franchises be it pizza, gym, retail outlet. It is in their mindset.

CONTRACTS :
Always think twice to enter into any kind of contract in Canada, like cell phone, cable, internet connection, rental residential as well as commercial , car lease, energy company, gas co etc etc. It is very difficult to get out of contract. Non payment means that your credit score will go down for the next 3 years and even after that whenever you approach a lender, you will be said to first clear it resultant you may end up paying 1000's for 100's.

CHILDREN :
1. Schools have no books, they rely on worksheets and one need do a lot of project works / presentations. Board site, school site and class site is a useful place.
2. Neighborhood services are mostly good, like public library, gym, basketball, swimming, ice skating. It is membership based and except for library rest is paid.
3. For kids cycle- wallmart, Canadian tire is good. Cycle store are expensive although they claim that their products are of better quality.
4. Toys – wallmart.
5. Money spend on kids sports activities can be deducted from gross income for tax purposes.

AVOID :
1. Expensive stores like metro, loblaws , bay.
2. Cell phone companies like Rogers, Bell.
3. Shoppers drug mart
4. Monthly bus pass, as it a lot of times cost more than a regular ticket
VISIT :
1. Dollar stores for petty things. I like Dollarama.
2. Fresh Co, food basics, Chinese groceries store.
3. Tiger direct, fortune computes for electronics.
4. Wallmart- for everything.
5. On line sites those offer good bargain.
6. Costco-it is membership based, if you have big family only then go there.
7. IKEA- for furniture and home décor, avoid paper furniture.
8. Bed , bath and beyond is good place to buy .
9. Flyers sites.
Note : Most of these suggestions do not apply to people who have oil well in their home country. This is not end of list, I am looking for other landed immigrants to write here some useful tips / suggestion which may benefit new immigrants.

pistachio

Star Member
Aug 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
AOR Received.
Nov-2010
VISA ISSUED...
+1(00) for you. Thank you so much.

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
Outstanding post.... +1 from me too....

explorer101 said:
Thankyou for the words of appreciation, +1 reciprocated to everyone

parygre

Star Member
May 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
waiting
explorer, great research work........thanks for sharing

I would like to add something in the car insurance part.....as told by my brother, who lives in vancouver since 2006, if a new immigrant takes along a letter from Indian insurance company that this person is owner of such and such car and has not taken any claim for the last five years, then the new insurance company in Canada will give 40% discount right away........As the insurance is very costly in Canada this can save good money for a new comer......hope this is helpful

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
parygre said:
explorer, great research work........thanks for sharing

I would like to add something in the car insurance part.....as told by my brother, who lives in vancouver since 2006, if a new immigrant takes along a letter from Indian insurance company that this person is owner of such and such car and has not taken any claim for the last five years, then the new insurance company in Canada will give 40% discount right away........As the insurance is very costly in Canada this can save good money for a new comer......hope this is helpful
I can't say about Vancouver, but a "No Claim Certificate" is a dud in Ontario, unless it's from the US. Come what may, u'll've to pay the $350+ a month here if u r a newcomer.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On the pm's I have received i am giving answers here to make my work easier and a bit of clarification was also required :
1. Retainer agreement of realtor while taking premesis on rent or sale. A lot of times a realtor will come with an agreement where it would be stated that in the next 2 -5 years you have retained him for any property you are looking for rent/ buying. You have approached that realtor for a particular deal and that does not go through. You will forget about it and may hire some other accomodation or buy some property. That realtor will send you a notice claiming damages. So the way out is that when ever the retainer agreement is to be signed write that it is for ":XXX property only " for a max period of ___ months only, do not sign blank documents which can be manupulated later on.

see this sample http://www.myskyrealty.com/BuyHomepdf/Exclusive_Right_to_Represent.pdf

2. Some retail outlets take master card and some take visa and some take both. I would recommed if you drive car take one petro point mastercard and one visa ( it can be cash back or if you like to fly often and like to collect aero points - take aero visa.), For aero visa their is a annual fee of about $120. Cash back- divident card of scotia bank is free of any charges.
3. For the new immigrants the credit score would start from zero. For getting good mortgage rate a score of above 700 points is required , which is possible in 1 years time, if you pay your bills on time. Delay in payment is also reflected on the credit score and can not be wiped off on subsequent payment made on time.
4. Mtg without a credit score is not possible, no lender will give it. Banks do give mtg on score of 500 but the rate of interest would be arount 7-9 % and for a person having credit score of 700 the rate of interest can be as low as 2.30 %. I plan to write a detailed write up on this topic and will post it shortly.
5. How to go ahead with kids schooling, where i can find the school material,private tution etc, i am drafting a write up and would post it within next 3-4 days, so pl bear with me.
I am bit tight with my schedule in the next 2-3 days, have got a function at my place and will give reply to all the pms in next 3-4 days, thanks

Thankyou for the words of appreciation adroit and Naija- +1 reciprocated

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For auto insurance, I have found that TD offers the cheapest. You can also get additional discount if you purchase your home insurance from them too. I have a 2012 model and my G2 license is only two months old. I am paying $200 for auto and home insurance combined. Just make sure to shop around before settling with one insurance company.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trinatocanada said:
For auto insurance, I have found that TD offers the cheapest. You can also get additional discount if you purchase your home insurance from them too. I have a 2012 model and my G2 license is only two months old. I am paying $200 for auto and home insurance combined. Just make sure to shop around before settling with one insurance company.
Can you be pl more specific, your deductible , liablity only or comprehensive, max coverage amount, or any other condition due to it you have got this figure, cause i have not seen this figure for new immigrants.