+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

mistake in work permit

Soni_

Mar 26, 2022
Hi all,
The IRCC agent made a mistake in my work permit (wrong country of birth). The place of birth was correct in my biometric letter but when delivering the work permit they put the country where I was living as a citizen, which is different from my country of birth. Can this affect a future application for permanent residence? I found that I can make a request to IRCC to modify my work permit but the process takes 27 weeks (almost 7 months) and I have to give the original of my work permit with the request form which means waiting 7 months without work permit! Please help!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi all,
The IRCC agent made a mistake in my work permit (wrong country of birth). The place of birth was correct in my biometric letter but when delivering the work permit they put the country where I was living as a citizen, which is different from my country of birth. Can this affect a future application for permanent residence? I found that I can make a request to IRCC to modify my work permit but the process takes 27 weeks (almost 7 months) and I have to give the original of my work permit with the request form which means waiting 7 months without work permit! Please help!
Of course it do. It will be considered a misinterpretation in future because although it was a mistake you failed to take an acttion. So get it fixed as soon as you can.

worriedadhd

May 7, 2020
Hi all,
Please see my response to your question on my post. You should check with IRCC if you are still allowed to work while you are waiting for them to correct the permit, or you can also contact an immigration advisor/lawyer to see if you can flagpole and get the issue corrected at the border if you need the work permit immediately.

Soni_

Mar 26, 2022
Please see my response to your question on my post. You should check with IRCC if you are still allowed to work while you are waiting for them to correct the permit, or you can also contact an immigration advisor/lawyer to see if you can flagpole and get the issue corrected at the border if you need the work permit immediately.
When I got the permit first time, I noticed the mistake and I mentioned it to the immigration agent but he told me that it is not important and that I can contact IRCC if I want to correct it. I checked with a lawyer who confirmed that the error does not affect my right to work. The problem is that correcting the error takes 7 months and I need to travel meanwhile. It is really not logic to wait 7 months and maybe more to correct a place of birth on a work permit. I don’t know if asking for a correction when renewing the work permit will be feasible or not.

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
When I got the permit first time, I noticed the mistake and I mentioned it to the immigration agent but he told me that it is not important and that I can contact IRCC if I want to correct it. I checked with a lawyer who confirmed that the error does not affect my right to work. The problem is that correcting the error takes 7 months and I need to travel meanwhile. It is really not logic to wait 7 months and maybe more to correct a place of birth on a work permit. I don’t know if asking for a correction when renewing the work permit will be feasible or not.
Hi! I’m in a similar situation as you although the processing time now is 15 weeks. Did you manage to get it fixed? And how long did it take (did you say it was urgent on the envelope?)

KATALIN

Nov 24, 2022
Hi all,
Hi, Sony. I have a same mistake in my Work Permit- wrong country of birth. Please, can you tell me how your problem was fixed? Thanks.

NickCa

Mar 22, 2024
Hello NATALIN, Sony!
I have the same mistake in my WP. Please, can you tell me how your problem was fixed? Thank you.