+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mistake in minor's citizenship application - Please help

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Hello everyone,

I've applied for citizenship back in August last year along with my daughter who is 7 years old. She came to Canada in August 2017 where I came in April 2016. My daughter became PR with me in January 2018. In her citizenship application on Page 4 section 9B,

Has the minor been outside of Canada for a total of 730 days or more in the past
five (5) years or since becoming a permanent resident?

I believe I made a mistake answering this by saying 'No' and did not fill the following table with any details. This is because I thought it was 730 days outside Canada is just after becoming PR but the question also asks if 730 days spent outside Canada in the past 5 years. This is entirely my mistake of not reading the question fully. How do I correct this mistake at this point? Should I withdraw the application and reapply after correcting this ? . Our application is already 'In process' and AOR received.

Since she came to Canada only in August 2017 for the first time, I should have answered 'Yes' and entered the dates, destination, reason, no of days in the following table which is August 2015 - August 2017. Correct?

Regards,

PumpkinJack

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello everyone,

I've applied for citizenship back in August last year along with my daughter who is 7 years old. She came to Canada in August 2017 where I came in April 2016. My daughter became PR with me in January 2018. In her citizenship application on Page 4 section 9B,

Has the minor been outside of Canada for a total of 730 days or more in the past

I believe I made a mistake answering this by saying 'No' and did not fill the following table with any details. This is because I thought it was 730 days outside Canada is just after becoming PR but the question also asks if 730 days spent outside Canada in the past 5 years. This is entirely my mistake of not reading the question fully. How do I correct this mistake at this point? Should I withdraw the application and reapply after correcting this ? . Our application is already 'In process' and AOR received.

Since she came to Canada only in August 2017 for the first time, I should have answered 'Yes' and entered the dates, destination, reason, no of days in the following table which is August 2015 - August 2017. Correct?

Regards,

PumpkinJack
I personally don't think you did anything wrong. The question clearly states "730 days or more in the past five (5) years or since becoming a permanent resident". From my understanding, the first part of "in the past 5 years" refers to children who became PRs before 5 years and the second part "OR since becoming a permanent resident" refers to children who became PRs within the last 5 years. From my point of view, I see an invisible "whichever is latest" clause at the end of this question.

Since your daughter became a PR in January 2018, I think you might have answered "No" (correctly) to the aforementioned question.

My reasoning comes from the following facts:

1. If they wanted to know if the child has been outside the country for more than 5 years in ALL cases, then they would not have provided the option "since becoming a Permanent Resident".
2. There is an "OR" in between the two time periods (5 years OR since becoming a PR).

In your case, the child became a PR only ~ 3 years back which is well within the last 5 years. So, I believe whatever you've answered is correct.

This is only my opinion. You might want to check with someone else about this and see what they have to say.

Good luck.

Reactions: PumpkinJack

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
I personally don't think you did anything wrong. The question clearly states "730 days or more in the past five (5) years or since becoming a permanent resident". From my understanding, the first part of "in the past 5 years" refers to children who became PRs before 5 years and the second part "OR since becoming a permanent resident" refers to children who became PRs within the last 5 years. From my point of view, I see an invisible "whichever is latest" clause at the end of this question.

Since your daughter became a PR in January 2018, I think you might have answered "No" (correctly) to the aforementioned question.

My reasoning comes from the following facts:

1. If they wanted to know if the child has been outside the country for more than 5 years in ALL cases, then they would not have provided the option "since becoming a Permanent Resident".
2. There is an "OR" in between the two time periods (5 years OR since becoming a PR).

In your case, the child became a PR only ~ 3 years back which is well within the last 5 years. So, I believe whatever you've answered is correct.

This is only my opinion. You might want to check with someone else about this and see what they have to say.

Good luck.
Thanks Rajkamal for your input. I understand your point as that was my understanding when I filling the application too.

Is anyone else have other thoughts on this please ?

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks Rajkamal for your input. I understand your point as that was my understanding when I filling the application too.

Is anyone else have other thoughts on this please ?
Give IRCC a call or send a webform. Better, consult an immigration lawyer if you can.

bestofluck

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2015
LANDED..........
10th June 2017
Simple
If you have stayed more then 730 days outside Canada in past 5 yrs you do not meet 1095 eligibility criteria.

Reactions: Glory. A. O

Akh88

Star Member
Nov 11, 2022
Hello everyone,

Regards,

PumpkinJack
Hi PumpkinJack,

I am having the same confusion now and I amnot sure how to answer this question. My son became PR a year ago and hasn’t left Canada since. He was outside the country before that though. Will you please let me know if you have a final answer to this confusion? Thx a lot.

serene17

Star Member
Dec 7, 2017
Hi PumpkinJack,

I am having the same confusion now and I amnot sure how to answer this question. My son became PR a year ago and hasn’t left Canada since. He was outside the country before that though. Will you please let me know if you have a final answer to this confusion? Thx a lot.
Hi! were you able to get an answer to this question? I am in a similar situation and not sure if I need to list the time my kid spent outside Canada before becoming a PR within the past 5 years.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi! were you able to get an answer to this question? I am in a similar situation and not sure if I need to list the time my kid spent outside Canada before becoming a PR within the past 5 years.
Read the question as OR (smaller of) - and yes, I have experience of this, applied for daughter when she had less than a year in Canada, answered 'no' to this question, had no issues at all.