+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mistake in citizenship application

Apr 19, 2018
Hello
I missed some dates on my application form for citizenship, about 3-4 small road trips to the US over the last 5 years, totaling about 15 days. I am more than 600 days above the required minimum days of 1095 for citizenship. I am still worried about the mistake I made. Should I contact the IRCC through their portal/webform/or case specific enquiry. Or just leave it alone? If yes, whats the best time and method to correct it? Or should I withdraw my application altogether?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I believe the general consensus is to wait for AOR, then use the webform to make the amendment.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks for you reply. I'm sorry, Im new to this forum. Can you please explain the term AOR ?
I agree with sns204 above.

To answer your question: AOR is acknowledgement of receipt. About 3-4 weeks after your application reached IRCC you will receive an email or a written letter that starts with "this is to acknowledge we received your application....". It includes an application number. With that number you can then file a case specific enquiry (just google that term and you get to the form) to adjust records. So simply send that info via a webform.

Since you are 600 days over it won't produce a problem, still it is always better to set the record straight to avoid them being nitpicky about something.

Apr 19, 2018
Thanks. I have received the AOR, which has an application number. My lawyer says if we submit it now, they might just send the application to 'secondary', and cause delay. He says we should wait till the next step, but didn't tell what the next step is.
I should disclose here ( though its VERY embarrassing), that we have sent one written correction already, via paper mail. I missed a road trip to the US which I took last year. My lawyer was agreeable to sending that information. But now I remember a couple of trips back in 2012, 2013, and I don't even remember the dates to those. He says since they are old ( even though within the 5 year period) , and also since I am so many days over, we should just leave it alone. My gut says disclose it. Real dilemma. Thanks once again for reading this convoluted post :)

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
I am generally in the camp of disclose via webform. They will find your misses when they check CBSA, so you getting ahead of it doesn't hurt. You have a 600 days buffer, so this alone shouldn't send it to a "special" processing. I have seen reports on this forum where people learnt during the interview about missed trips and nothing bad happened. IRCC cares about 1095 days. They also try to assess your intent if they find mistakes in your application. Were you trying to hide a 15 day trip to reach the 1095 threshold? Bad! Miss 3 day trips over 5 years but have more than enough buffer? You are probably good. True mistakes that can be explained get the benefit of doubt. They aren't looking for perfection but the closer you get to it, the smoother your ride.

Apr 19, 2018
vasvas- Thanks for the reply, that is very helpful. You don't think 2 admissions of mistake are a deal -breaker? (I am embarrassed to admit, I feel quite stupid, not having submitted all the dates with the first correction)
When is the best time to disclose it? My application was submitted in November, AOR dated January, online status says started processing February.

Apr 19, 2018
I am generally in the camp of disclose via webform. They will find your misses when they check CBSA, so you getting ahead of it doesn't hurt. You have a 600 days buffer, so this alone shouldn't send it to a "special" processing. I have seen reports on this forum where people learnt during the interview about missed trips and nothing bad happened. IRCC cares about 1095 days. They also try to assess your intent if they find mistakes in your application. Were you trying to hide a 15 day trip to reach the 1095 threshold? Bad! Miss 3 day trips over 5 years but have more than enough buffer? You are probably good. True mistakes that can be explained get the benefit of doubt. They aren't looking for perfection but the closer you get to it, the smoother your ride.

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
I am no lawyer not play one on TV. My knowledge is from my own experience through the grinder and reading a lot of the posts on forums. That said, this is not a withdraw your application mistake. The 2 trips are also not deal breakers...again because you have a buffer of 600 days (spent less than 6 months outside the country over 5 years).
Time to reveal - I told you my opinion, which is when you know about it using the webform. You can wait until the interview and see if they bring it up if that makes you feel better. Not ideal in my world but has been done before.

Apr 19, 2018
its not 2 trips- its admission of mistake twice ! I discovered that I missed 2 trips in 2017, brought them to my lawyers attention rightaway,and he sent a written notice (mailed to IRCC) . Then I remembered a couple trips back in 2012/2013 that I forgot to mention on the application( they are together worth about 10-15 days, I don't remember exact dates either ) . And I think I had mentioned these on my PR renewal application . Now I am asking him report these through the webform, but he is reluctant. he has 2 reasons - one is that touching your file and admitting missed dates twice is not a good idea, it calls unnecessary attention to the file. his other reason is that since I am so many days over, its not a big deal.

6242 cook

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Thanks. I have received the AOR, which has an application number. My lawyer says if we submit it now, they might just send the application to 'secondary', and cause delay. He says we should wait till the next step, but didn't tell what the next step is.
I should disclose here ( though its VERY embarrassing), that we have sent one written correction already, via paper mail. I missed a road trip to the US which I took last year. My lawyer was agreeable to sending that information. But now I remember a couple of trips back in 2012, 2013, and I don't even remember the dates to those. He says since they are old ( even though within the 5 year period) , and also since I am so many days over, we should just leave it alone. My gut says disclose it. Real dilemma. Thanks once again for reading this convoluted post :)

What your lawyer means by secondary
I had a small mistake in form
After I get AOR I correct it

Does it mean my application will be delay

Do not tell fake information in this forum

Me and lots of people trust this forum and got benefited

Thank you

Apr 19, 2018
What your lawyer means by secondary
I had a small mistake in form
After I get AOR I correct it

Does it mean my application will be delay

Do not tell fake information in this forum

Me and lots of people trust this forum and got benefited

Thank you
I honestly don't know what he meant by secondary- he was implying it might mean a delay of about 6-8 months. He was also saying it is different from the RQ( Residence Questionnaire). I hope some of the other members can throw some light on this

6242 cook

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
I honestly don't know what he meant by secondary- he was implying it might mean a delay of about 6-8 months. He was also saying it is different from the RQ( Residence Questionnaire). I hope some of the other members can throw some light on this

If you don’t meet days

Then RQ.

If you band luck then quality assurance

And FP is now a days is common issue

Thankful

Hopes none of them will to us

Godgive

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016