+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missing my husband.

Famof5

Jul 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

My name is Abby and I am married with three children. I am a Canadian Citizen. I met my husband while on Vacation in Colorado. My intent was never to stay in Colorado but I did to be with him. We have been together for 16 years. We had three children a 7yr old, a 10 year old and a 13 year old. My husband is a Mexican citizen that lives illegally in the USA and with the current US administration we decided that it would be best if we tried our luck and moved our family to Canada. We want to do everything legally and thought that it would be best if I moved to Canada with our kids while my husband stayed in the USA so I can apply to sponsor him to come to Canada. My question is if any of you know how we can have him come to Canada while we wait for the application to sponsor comes thru. Should he apply for a visitor visa. Will he be denied since I'm applying to sponsor him? What about an eTa? What about crossing the border as a refugee? We are just trying to make a future for our children. We are hard workers and luckily we have never relied of welfare or government assistance. We just want our family together my children and I miss him terribly. Any advise would be appreciated. TIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
His best and only real option is to wait in the US until the Canadian PR visa has been approved and he's allowed to enter Canada as a PR. You and your children should visit him in the US while his application is being processed if you want to spend time together. As a Canadian citizen, you are also entitled to sponsor your spouse while living outside of Canada.

There is zero chance an eTA will be approved given his status in the US and the length of his overstay. I wouldn't waste your money applying. Same goes for a TRV.

Crossing as a refugee could very complicate his PR spousal application, lengthen processing significantly and even put you at risk of refusal. He's not a genuine refugee - don't mess up your PR spousal application by abusing the refugee system.

Last edited:

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello everyone,

My name is Abby and I am married with three children. I am a Canadian Citizen. I met my husband while on Vacation in Colorado. My intent was never to stay in Colorado but I did to be with him. We have been together for 16 years. We had three children a 7yr old, a 10 year old and a 13 year old. My husband is a Mexican citizen that lives illegally in the USA and with the current US administration we decided that it would be best if we tried our luck and moved our family to Canada. We want to do everything legally and thought that it would be best if I moved to Canada with our kids while my husband stayed in the USA so I can apply to sponsor him to come to Canada. My question is if any of you know how we can have him come to Canada while we wait for the application to sponsor comes thru. Should he apply for a visitor visa. Will he be denied since I'm applying to sponsor him? What about an eTa? What about crossing the border as a refugee? We are just trying to make a future for our children. We are hard workers and luckily we have never relied of welfare or government assistance. We just want our family together my children and I miss him terribly. Any advise would be appreciated. TIA
Agreed with Scylla. Unless your husband had whatever issues with law enforcement, your case is pretty straight forward and shouldn't have any problem to be approved. It may take up to 12 months to process, but since you are a Canadian and I bet your three children are US citizens, you have no problem whatsoever either to visit your husband or stay with your husband during the whole process time. And Colorado isn't that harsh on undocumented immigrants, not like the neighboring State of Arizona. So, just follow the regular spousal sponsorship route, you should be fine.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

Hi

Agree with scylla. Note that as a Canadian, you can apply to sponsor your husband while still living in the US. You would need to show proof that you will be moving to Canada when the app is complete.

Assuming you were born in Canada, do you already have Certificates of Citizenship for your children?

Reactions: carolbb23

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everyone,

How did you manage to remain in the USA legally for 16 years to be with your husband? Were/Are you, in fact, now also an overstayer as far as the USA is concerned?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How did you manage to remain in the USA legally for 16 years to be with your husband? Were/Are you, in fact, now also an overstayer as far as the USA is concerned?
That's a good question - I missed that. If OP was living in the US without authorization for all of these years, then as soon as she leave, this will trigger an automatic 10 year ban from the US and returning to the US won't be possible for a decade. Attempting to return before the 10 year ban has passed may result in detainment by US authorities.

If, on the other hand, she had valid status in the US all of this time - she is good to return.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That's a good question - I missed that. If OP was living in the US without authorization for all of these years, then as soon as she leave, this will trigger an automatic 10 year ban from the US and returning to the US won't be possible for a decade. Attempting to return before the 10 year ban has passed may result in detainment by US authorities.

If, on the other hand, she had valid status in the US all of this time - she is good to return.
Just to point out to OP, your status in the US, whether legal or illegal, has no impact on sponsoring your spouse.

Famof5

Jul 15, 2018
His best and only real option is to wait in the US until the Canadian PR visa has been approved and he's allowed to enter Canada as a PR. You and your children should visit him in the US while his application is being processed if you want to spend time together. As a Canadian citizen, you are also entitled to sponsor your spouse while living outside of Canada.

There is zero chance an eTA will be approved given his status in the US and the length of his overstay. I wouldn't waste your money applying. Same goes for a TRV.

Crossing as a refugee could very complicate his PR spousal application, lengthen processing significantly and even put you at risk of refusal. He's not a genuine refugee - don't mess up your PR spousal application by abusing the refugee system.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question. I don't want to risk having our application denied so claiming refugee would be out of the question. I guess my only option is to be patient and visit him every 3 months.

Famof5

Jul 15, 2018
Hi

Agree with scylla. Note that as a Canadian, you can apply to sponsor your husband while still living in the US. You would need to show proof that you will be moving to Canada when the app is complete.

Assuming you were born in Canada, do you already have Certificates of Citizenship for your children?

I just mailed them today. I read that it can take up to 6 months to receive a certificate of citizen for the kids.

Famof5

Jul 15, 2018

Hey, sorry I should have mentioned that I was working with a work permit as a pediatric nurse.

Famof5

Jul 15, 2018

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was living there with a work permit. I am now living in Ontario with my 3 children. My intent is not to return to the USA I want my children to be raised in Canada. I, we want to live free without fear in the greatest country in the world.

Famof5

Jul 15, 2018
Just to point out to OP, your status in the US, whether legal or illegal, has no impact on sponsoring your spouse.

Thank you. I just miss him. It's only been a month and I'm going crazy. I think my only option is to be patient and wait until the application goes thru.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. I just miss him. It's only been a month and I'm going crazy. I think my only option is to be patient and wait until the application goes thru.
Yes - apart from visiting him in the US, this is your only option. He's not going to be able to come to Canada until his PR application is finalized and approved.

Bip31

May 19, 2018
Hi ! I don’t actually have an advice since the others said it all but I just want to say be strong! I couldn’t imagine being separated from my husband even for a day so I feel for you. Hang in there! At least there is Skype, FaceTime etc...Good luck with everything!

Famof5

Jul 15, 2018
Hi ! I don’t actually have an advice since the others said it all but I just want to say be strong! I couldn’t imagine being separated from my husband even for a day so I feel for you. Hang in there! At least there is Skype, FaceTime etc...Good luck with everything!

Your reply brought me to tears. Thank you. I miss him so much. I hate to see my children crying. I went to get my drivers license switched to an Ontario license the other day and my 13 year old saw a father hugging his son who had just passed his driving test. My son was in tears because he missed his father so much. My daughter ran to a man at the Home Depot calling thinking that it was dad. I know it can be worse and we are lucky that we at least have a safe country to come to but I'm trully heart broken without him.