+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missed the 1st Citizenship test - paying with long wait?

danme

Dec 17, 2012
I Applied for the citizenship in November 2010, in January 2012, I received a letter inviting me to go and do the test, however I received with delay because it got the gap of the New Year holidays and I had booked already my annual leave at work and I could not attend the test as I was out of the country. Citizenship Canada had up to 6 months to send me a letter informing a new date for the test as I missed it the 1st time, instead, they requested more information and more documents with a new residence questionary. With this, Citizenship Canada allow themselves to say there's no time frame for the processing once they issue such questionary. I have sent the documents they requested on time, but since August/2012 my status does not change. Someone had similar situation? Is this like start a new application? taking up to 2 years to do the new test date?

kobiams

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
They treat us like people are being treated in a 3rd worl country

Thats a shame they allow themselves to do so.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
I think that CIC makes the assumption that citizenship is very important to the applicants and thus become suspicious whenever someone decides not to show up for the scheduled oath swearing ceremony. Suspicion means more paperwork and more paperwork means more time processing the case.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its also important to know the government is serious about citizenship and also expect people to take the Canadian citizenship seriously. Unless there is some compelling reason, like visiting a dying relative or some other emergency the government expects people to promptly reply to their request for citizenship. I believe this is a reasonable expectation.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not everyone can put their life on hold until CIC completes processing. People will sometimes go on vacation..many wait till they apply for citizenship. Others go for weddings, funerals etc.

CIC will sometimes notify applicants of a test or oath within the week. Mail also gets lost..assuming someone is not in Canada if they miss a test/oath may be reasonable but it may not be the case that they are absent from Canada.

OB 476 has clarified the process for missing a first test/ oath is to schedule a second test/oath. Missing the second time results in a RQ.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are numerous reports when people explicitly notify CIC they will be absent on certain dates, but CIC still sends test/oath invitations on these dates, unreliable.. They operate a facade-- may accept info from you, but no change may actually happen after.

jshahid

Star Member
May 23, 2012
I missed my first date because of your great Fort mcmurray Canada post, I received the letter 2 days after my exam due date and that was back in April 2012. Since then I have been waiting and I have been told they don't have staff to come over to Fort Mcmurray from Edmonton for test.

This sucks! :mad:

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jshahid said:
I missed my first date because of your great Fort mcmurray Canada post, I received the letter 2 days after my exam due date and that was back in April 2012. Since then I have been waiting and I have been told they don't have staff to come over to Fort Mcmurray from Edmonton for test.

This sucks! :mad:
And that's why they should always update e-cas.

But apparently CIC is fighting residency fraud and prefer to use snail mail to validate whether applicant really lives at the address, so they may delay or skip e-cas update at all.

But of course, mail is unreliable and this whole broken approach is an example of typical immature, unintelligent and over-the-top Canadian way of dealing with issues.

There's also a new "e-mail" field in updated application forms, so hopefully they will be sending some notifications by email in future.

kobiams

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
EasyRider said:
But of course, mail is unreliable and this whole broken approach is an example of typical immature, unintelligent and over-the-top Canadian way of dealing with issues.
Well said, I'm sure a lot of us think the same.

REKHS

Sep 7, 2011
Hi everyone, I missed my citizenship test since i relocated last month and didn't open few of the mails on time that got rerouted. Does anyone has any luck in rescheduling if you miss the test because the mail came to the old address? Will they accept this justification. The only proof i have is my last paycheck from old place which came 4 days prior to the cic letter.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
In the web that CIC created to catch fraudulent applications, a lot of innocent people gets entangled. Sad, just sad.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kimosabe said:
In the web that CIC created to catch fraudulent applications, a lot of innocent people gets entangled. Sad, just sad.
As far as I'm aware they give 2 weeks notice. Also the website gets updated within 48 hours after they send an update. Since I applied I check online almost every 2 days - it's become a habit. Also I always ensured I was using a permanent address and called them personally if any changes. These are the fine prints and CIC will tangle you up even if you are innocent. It sucks but it's your responsibility to follow through - we chose to move here.

Newbie2014

Feb 10, 2014
newtone said:
Its also important to know the government is serious about citizenship and also expect people to take the Canadian citizenship seriously. Unless there is some compelling reason, like visiting a dying relative or some other emergency the government expects people to promptly reply to their request for citizenship. I believe this is a reasonable expectation.
Ugh!

Newbie2014

Feb 10, 2014
EasyRider said:
And that's why they should always update e-cas.

But apparently CIC is fighting residency fraud and prefer to use snail mail to validate whether applicant really lives at the address, so they may delay or skip e-cas update at all.

The CIC is very passive-aggressive in the way it operates ("immature", per the highlighted post above). Also, they put into practice alot of regulations without having first taken the time to think through the implications ("unintelligent", per the highlighted post above) -- such as the use of an overly-broad number of risk indicators that resulted in close to a third of applicants in 2011 and 2012 getting RQ'd for possible fraud.