+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

missed my citizenship test

CECPR12

Apr 6, 2012
Hi,

I missed my citizenship test as I have moved cities. Has this happened to anyone? How long does it take for them to give you a new test?

I spoke to CIC rep and they asked me to send a letter explaining the situation.

Can i go to the office and meet them and explain my situation? Would that expedite things?

Please Help

Thanks

:mad:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CECPR12 said:
Hi,

I missed my citizenship test as I have moved cities. Has this happened to anyone? How long does it take for them to give you a new test?

I spoke to CIC rep and they asked me to send a letter explaining the situation.

Can i go to the office and meet them and explain my situation? Would that expedite things?

Please Help

Thanks

:mad:
1. You can try to visit, but it is quite likely that they won't talk to you.
2. You should read the following OB, especially if you didn't inform CIC of your new address. : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob476B.asp

New Procedures – Administrative closure of applications

Effective September 3, 2013, applicants will be sent one test/interview notice. If the applicant does not show up at the appointed place and time, and fails to provide an acceptable reason for this absence, their application will be administratively closed.

The citizenship test/interview notice has been amended accordingly and is to be used from this point forward.

The amended test/interview notice informs applicants that they have 60 days from the date of the first appointment to provide CIC with an acceptable reason for failing to attend. If an acceptable reason is not provided within 60 days, the applicant is to be mailed the attached final notice letter. It serves as a last reminder for the applicant to contact CIC if they have an acceptable reason for failing to attend their test/interview. This notice gives the applicant 30 days to do so. Once the 30-day period has elapsed, and no response has been provided, the application is to be closed immediately in GCMS.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Someone I know missed her test because she was pregnant and giving birth at test date. CIC had her rescheduled, no problems. I guess as long as you have very good reason, they are considerate. HTH.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CECPR12 said:
Thank you for that info.

Anyone else on this kind of a situation previously?
Please advise.
Not good! you had to inform CIC that you moved cities, you could've done it online.. hopefully you stayed in Canada
your best bet is to contact them and provide your valid reason, moved cities is not enough

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
kimosabe said:
Someone I know missed her test because she was pregnant and giving birth at test date. CIC had her rescheduled, no problems. I guess as long as you have very good reason, they are considerate. HTH.
yes, they will make an exception for very good reasons. being in labour on the test day would be a very good reason. Unfortunately, forgetting to notify CIC that you moved is probably not. You can try, though.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
keesio said:
yes, they will make an exception for very good reasons. being in labour on the test day would be a very good reason. Unfortunately, forgetting to notify CIC that you moved is probably not. You can try, though.
Sadly, I think you are right.

To the OP: do you have a good reason for not informing CIC of your change in address in a timely manner to have missed your test date?

REKHS

Sep 7, 2011
Hi, I am in the same boat as you. Please help me. I moved from Toronto to Windsor in december. Cic sent me mail on Jan 14 to attend the test on Jan28th 2014 but i missed to check mails since we are still settling down and having a 20month old toddler makes my things slow. Anyway, how can i justify that i missed because i forgot to update the address online and that i missed to check the mail that get rerouted from my old address. I am in desperately bad situation. I send a email to cic but they told me to send a letter explaining my reason. Please let me know what reason you mentioned. Did u take lawyers help?
Thanks in advance

2014dianna

Mar 12, 2014
I am in the same boat. I forgot to update my address online in time. My scheduled test is on Feb 14, but I received the mail on March 11. I wrote them the letter right away, hoping they will reschedule my test!

Best luck to you too!

CECPR12

Apr 6, 2012
If you happen to miss the Citizenship test....which you really shoudnt!!

1. be sure to call the CIC toll number and inform them.

2. You have to write a letter to your local office. Be sure to apologize for missing the test since it is a privilege to receive the interview and test. you should have sufficient reasons for missing it. Also it would be a stronger case if you can provide any sort of evidence or any supporting letters for missing the test. ex. a letter from doctor's office, university professor, employment letter depending on your reason.

It is a vital part of the citizenship process. Be sure to update your addresses because thats where most people go wrong.

good luck!

Dec 4, 2012
CIC operational bulletin says if someone does not respond to requests for additional documentation, or fails to attend a test or interview, citizenship grant applications will be closed.

Can someone please confirm of the same thing also applies if someone misses the first oath ceremony.

Thanks.

moti

Oct 24, 2012
hey guys,

did you not check the e cas online ?? or it was not updated and no info.online that you would be invited for test ? ::)

supercarp

Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
any updates, guys? I also received this letter today and asked to provide a reason for why having missed the test. not sure if my reason of falling sick by an influenza virus C and bad fever abroad during that period could be counted as a valid one. really panic if cic will close my file due to my unfortunate illness before the test date.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
supercarp said:
any updates, guys? I also received this letter today and asked to provide a reason for why having missed the test. not sure if my reason of falling sick by an influenza virus C and bad fever abroad during that period could be counted as a valid one. really panic if cic will close my file due to my unfortunate illness before the test date.
I'd guess that your illness is a very valid reason. Maybe they give you a hard time for not letting them know but if you were really sick then I'm sure they will accept it.