waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Hey all-

Because I "no showed" for a medical appt, Monday July 30th and didn't give the required at least 48 hrs notice, the Drs office sent a bill for 50.00 and a threat that, "Copies of this letter and all upaid invoices will be forwarded to Immigration Canada as per their rcommendations."

THE SCOOP:

I confirmed the appt the Friday before and ending the call, I confirmed all that was needed and was told 5 pictures were needed (when I was told earlier in the week only 3 were needed and 3 is what I got, in the meantime, from Walmart). So, as soon as I hung up, I called Walmart. The closest Portrait studio I knew off on the way to Saskatoon didn't open until 10, apparently all of them don't open until 10 (I called 3 others) and my appt was at 10:30. (I live 3 hrs ways from Saskatoon) I knew I wasn't going to make that appt.

After waiting for lunch time to check with hubby, we realized we couldn't go on Saturday, the next day, to get additional pictures. When I called the Dr office back to see if I could re-schedule/cancel, their office was closed and their answering service told me, "we don't take cancellations. Their office opens at 8 on Monday."

So, I, in good faith, DID try to cancel my appt with well over 48 hrs notice. Yesterday I called the office manager, who signed the letter, and explained this to him via voicemail.

What would you suggest I do? Call CIC and let them know? I don't think I should have to pay the 50.00 because they don't allow people to cancel Monday appts with 48 hrs notice via their answering service.

BTW-I did get another appt with a different Dr, 1 hr closer to me, later in the day that Monday, so I was able to get the additional pics. MEDICALS DONE AND PASSED!! Now, just waiting for marriage cert to arrive and we can send out apps in!!!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
The cancellation fee I can't comment on, but CIC won't care that you missed the medical. It only matters if you were not excessive-medical demand exempt, which as a spouse you are, so missing a medical appointment won't matter one way or another, so long as you do get the medical done in time to be submitted with your application.

montrealsnow

Jan 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
AOR Received.
10-07-2012
File Transfer...
03-08-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
CharlieD10 said:
The cancellation fee I can't comment on, but CIC won't care that you missed the medical. It only matters if you were not excessive-medical demand exempt, which as a spouse you are, so missing a medical appointment won't matter one way or another, so long as you do get the medical done in time to be submitted with your application.
Yeah, I agree. Don't worry about CIC. The doc is probably only doing it in order to scare you into paying the cancellation fee, which is pretty crappy of them. I'd probably talk to them once more but if they keep insisting, I'd pay the 50$ (you can't really expect them to take cancellations over voicemail on the weekend) but then have the exam done somewhere else. And maybe name the doctor in this thread so that other people can avoid them.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
It is common that they charge for missed appointments it's happening everywhere now-a-days.... I don't think CIC will do anything but I would to pay it as I wouldn't want it turned into collection agency... he is with-in rights to do that. glad you got the medical done elsewhere... but how do you know you passed? they are not supposed to say anything regarding the exam itself.... I been flipping cus I ain't heard anything so I am hoping it's good news since it's been 4 months since having it done... anyways GL!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I wouldn't pay it! You got your service elsewhere. See how much effort (if any) they will put into chasing fifty bucks!

biometrix

Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
I wouldn't pay it! You got your service elsewhere. See how much effort (if any) they will put into chasing fifty bucks!
You'd be surprised on the ton of effort they might put in.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
That's cool! Let them surprise you, no point in giving money away. That $50 will be down to $20 if they send it to a collection agency, minus a dollar for every letter they send you on postage.

biometrix

Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
That's cool! Let them surprise you, no point in giving money away. That $50 will be down to $20 if they send it to a collection agency, minus a dollar for every letter they send you on postage.
Don't forget what the matter going to the collection agency will cost.....VERY BAD CREDIT RATING.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
For only $20?? That entry can "easily" be removed from your Equifax report at a later date. Easily!!

biometrix

Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
For only $20?? That entry can "easily" be removed from your Equifax report at a later date. Easily!!
You obviously don't have an idea of what your talking about so I will leave it at that. "Removed at a later date" when the damage has already been done? Is Loosing points on your credit score worth it for 20 bucks? Maybe it's just because I pick my battles thats why I would suggest settling things before they get too complicated. It's not worth it creating battles for yourself. Just so you know when you file a dispute on your credit report, the credit bureau investigates the matter. They don't just REMOVE IT FROM YOUR REPORT BECAUSE YOU WANT IT REMOVED. If from their investigation they find that the doctor was well in his rights to have charged the amount due to bridge in terms, that dent stands and will always smile at you in your credit report irrespective of what you want and think. The question is would it be worth it to go through all the roller coaster events or just find a way to settle it? The only way around it is if she left a voice mail 48hours before the actual date of the medical stating that she was canceling the appointment. Then it's all good, if not, it's very bad. ignorance of the hospitals policy is no excuse. Due deligence on the clients part regarding the cancellation policy is required.Of course one might call the bluff of the Dr and see what happens. But I have seen companies use a collection agency for lesser amounts. Do I think it's crazy, yes but that doesn't stop the world from spinning around.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
biometrix said:
You obviously don't have an idea of what your talking about so I will leave it at that. "Removed at a later date" when the damage has already been done? Is Loosing points on your credit score worth it for 20 bucks? Maybe it's just because I pick my battles thats why I would suggest settling things before they get too complicated. It's not worth it creating battles for yourself. Just so you know when you file a dispute on your credit report, the credit bureau investigates the matter. They don't just REMOVE IT FROM YOUR REPORT BECAUSE YOU WANT IT REMOVED. If from their investigation they find that the doctor was well in his rights to have charged the amount due to bridge in terms, that dent stands and will always smile at you in your credit report irrespective of what you want and think. The question is would it be worth it to go through all the roller coaster events or just find a way to settle it? The only way around it is if she left a voice mail 48hours before the actual date of the medical stating that she was canceling the appointment. Then it's all good, if not, it's very bad. ignorance of the hospitals policy is no excuse. Due deligence on the clients part regardind the cancellation policy is required.Of course one might call the bluff of the Dr and see what happens. But I have seen companies use a collection agency for lesser amounts. Do I think it's crazy, yes but that doesn't stop the world from spinning around.
Well it also depends on where the doc's office is at. If it is in the applicant's home country and they don't plan on settling there as a couple, then it wouldn't matter as much since your home country's credit score doesn't follow you to Canada. ;) Not saying they shouldn't pay it, but just something to keep in mind. If it were me though, I'd pay it to just avoid a headache.

biometrix

Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aerogurl87 said:
Well it also depends on where the doc's office is at. If it is in the applicant's home country and they don't plan on settling there as a couple, then it wouldn't matter as much since your home country's credit score doesn't follow you to Canada. ;) Not saying they shouldn't pay it, but just something to keep in mind. If it were me though, I'd pay it to just avoid a headache.
Very true...it's not worth the headache. I believe the person involved is in Saskatchewan, canada or surroundings. I wrote what I did with that in mind. I might have been wrong.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
from the post it's obvious the exam was done in Canada... and I was thinking about it alittle more... the DMP's (designated medical practitioners) must have some kind of agreement they are appointed by the CIC right? maybe they could attach something to the file? saying they owed 50 bucks for not showing and maybe they can with-hold the CoPR or visa until it's paid... is it really worth finding out the hard way? I would pay it, if not just to keep clean credit.... just my opinion....

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Creampop said:
from the post it's obvious the exam was done in Canada... and I was thinking about it alittle more... the DMP's (designated medical practitioners) must have some kind of agreement they are appointed by the CIC right? maybe they could attach something to the file? saying they owed 50 bucks for not showing and maybe they can with-hold the CoPR or visa until it's paid... is it really worth finding out the hard way? I would pay it, if not just to keep clean credit.... just my opinion....
Visas are withheld for lack of payment of the RPRF, that is the only fee that can hold up a visa issue. As long as she has a valid medical from another DMP, they are not going to withhold her visa because some DMP says she made an appointment with me and didn't show and I charged her a cancellation fee that she didn't pay. That is between her and the doctor, not CIC, seeing as they didn't send her specifically to that doctor, nor is CIC paying for the exam.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
How stupid of the doctor!

If you didn't sign a contract, you don't owe them a dime. They can't charge for a cancellation fee unless you have agreed to it in writing. Anything else is just BS and you needn't worry about it.

Send them $50 of monopoly money...scammers suck.

FS