+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misrepresentation

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Hello,

I would like to find out if my husband can be in trouble for misrepresentation. When he applied for his trv he stated he was coming for a visit to see a friend for 10 days. He gave copies of his work vacation letter and proof of home ownership, however he was coming here to get married and apply for PR with no intention of leaving....right before coming here he quit his job and rented out his apartment. Can this be used as misrepresentation. Also, he got married just 2 weeks after arriving, and had an affair and asked for divorce 3 weeks after obtaining PR.

Can he be in trouble for misrepresentation on his visitor visa? If so, what could that result in? Can he also be in potential trouble for marriage of convenience?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

I would like to find out if my husband can be in trouble for misrepresentation. When he applied for his trv he stated he was coming for a visit to see a friend for 10 days. He gave copies of his work vacation letter and proof of home ownership, however he was coming here to get married and apply for PR with no intention of leaving....right before coming here he quit his job and rented out his apartment. Can this be used as misrepresentation. Also, he got married just 2 weeks after arriving, and had an affair and asked for divorce 3 weeks after obtaining PR.

Can he be in trouble for misrepresentation on his visitor visa? If so, what could that result in? Can he also be in potential trouble for marriage of convenience?

Thanks!
Yes, it's possible that if the relationship with a sponsor was effectively already finished when he became a PR (as implied by the affair and divorce request) he committed misrepresentation by landing as a sponsored spouse.

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Yes, it's possible that if the relationship with a sponsor was effectively already finished when he became a PR (as implied by the affair and divorce request) he committed misrepresentation by landing as a sponsored spouse.
Can he also have problems with misrepresentation for lying about his purpose of visit when applying for his visitor visa?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Can he also have problems with misrepresentation for lying about his purpose of visit when applying for his visitor visa?

Thanks!
Not really for the purpose of visit but possibly if he misrepresented himself at the PR landing. I'm assuming that he was sponsored by a spouse for PR?

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Not really for the purpose of visit but possibly if he misrepresented himself at the PR landing. I'm assuming that he was sponsored by a spouse for PR?
Yes he was. He had been having multiple affairs throughout the marriage as well as being violent, for which he has now been arrested and charged with domestic assault

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes he was. He had been having multiple affairs throughout the marriage as well as being violent, for which he has now been arrested and charged with domestic assault
Depending on the charges and conviction/punishment, he might be stripped of PR status and deported anyway.
Misrepresentation might be the least of his worries.

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thanks!
Did you report him 3 weeks after getting married as a marriage of convenience? How did he have PR if you just married he and had not sponsored him?

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Did you report him 3 weeks after getting married as a marriage of convenience? How did he have PR if you just married he and had not sponsored him?
No he had married and then started his process, it was not to my knowledge it was a marriage of convenience, only when I found out about the multiple affairs and he left the second he received residence has it all set in.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No he had married and then started his process, it was not to my knowledge it was a marriage of convenience, only when I found out about the multiple affairs and he left the second he received residence has it all set in.
Has it been a long time since he left? It does appear that you lived together for a year and may have dated before that so proving marriage of convenience may be difficult. He didn’t commit misrepresentation when he applied for his TRV. Would report him but the chances are not great.