+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misrepresentation

olusede

Jan 27, 2016
Please I need advice on this:

I moved to Canada in 2012 for my MSc and then invited my wife over in May 2013. My wife made a mistake of not including her siblings information on her application then. In 2016 we applied for PR and asked an immigration officer if we should include the siblings information or not but She told us the application would be denied due to misrepresentation so we didn't include it. Our PR application was approved in 2018 and early this year, one of my wife's siblings wants to apply for Express Entry and we were wondering if my wife should call CIC and explain to them before he submit the application. Please can someone advice us based on this?

Thanks.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
An immigration officer told you not to correct an earlier misrepresentation, and in effect to continue the misrepresentation?

You have a large issue on your hand. You should consult a lawyer. If your wife's sibling tells the truth when asked if there are any relatives in Canada, your wife's misrepresentation will be discovered. If your wife's sibling lies, then she will be misrepresenting.

No immigration officer would have told you to continue to lie.

Imm007CA

Apr 21, 2019
An immigration officer told you not to correct an earlier misrepresentation, and in effect to continue the misrepresentation?

You have a large issue on your hand. You should consult a lawyer. If your wife's sibling tells the truth when asked if there are any relatives in Canada, your wife's misrepresentation will be discovered. If your wife's sibling lies, then she will be misrepresenting.

No immigration officer would have told you to continue to lie.
I agree with you, but I've heard of so many stories where applicants hid material facts such as previous refusals or no siblings and have a PR now. It seems like Officers don't even bother searching if the applicant ever applied in the past or confirming if there's any records of siblings.

Seems like IRCC does not look deep into applicants and their siblings and specifically misrepresentation (majority of the time). They look into it if its seriously fishy orif they're tipped off, poison letters ect ect. Leaving their job to the public.

Funny part is, these new immigrants who intentionally misrepresented, gloat about their misrepresentation and laugh at our system, how easy it is to slip through.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The OP did not talk to a visa officer. They will catch this misrepresentation.

No visa officer would tell an applicant to continue to lie.

Imm007CA

Apr 21, 2019
The OP did not talk to a visa officer. They will catch this misrepresentation.

No visa officer would tell an applicant to continue to lie.
Good chance they won't catch it unless someone tips IRCC off.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2018/2018canlii129883/2018canlii129883.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAWTWlzcmVwcmVzZW50ZWQgc2libGluZwAAAAAB&resultIndex=19

This case is a lot more complex, but the key point is they investigated because of a tip, not because the officer was doing background checks.

But misrep is misrep and can come back to haunt you after 10 yrs.

Whoisthis1489

Nov 4, 2021
Hello

It would be kind of you if you could advise me in my dilemma.

I am an international student in Canada and will be applying for a coop work permit soon, my parents are separated but not divorced. They live in 2 different countries, my mother has 2 of my siblings while my father has 3 including me. Despite the family being broken up, we were not in contact for more than 11 years, I didn't mention my 2 siblings who was with my mother at the time in my study permit application.

However, after comming to canada realize that I should have mentioned them regardless. Now I want to apply for my work permit and the thought of misrepresentation is killing me? What do I do? Do I submit the application with all the correct details and wait for IRCC to contact me regarding the matter or do I submit my application along with a letter of explanation as to why their names were not mentioned?

MandyB95

Dec 21, 2023
Hello

It would be kind of you if you could advise me in my dilemma.

I am an international student in Canada and will be applying for a coop work permit soon, my parents are separated but not divorced. They live in 2 different countries, my mother has 2 of my siblings while my father has 3 including me. Despite the family being broken up, we were not in contact for more than 11 years, I didn't mention my 2 siblings who was with my mother at the time in my study permit application.

However, after comming to canada realize that I should have mentioned them regardless. Now I want to apply for my work permit and the thought of misrepresentation is killing me? What do I do? Do I submit the application with all the correct details and wait for IRCC to contact me regarding the matter or do I submit my application along with a letter of explanation as to why their names were not mentioned?
Hey. What did you do in regarding this? Please help