+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

misrepresentation of siblings

prem2091

Jul 7, 2017
Hi, I need your help regarding one question. My friend while applying study permit didn't show his real brother in his profile. Now he got the ITA and applying for PR, he doesn't want to hide anything and wants to show is full family detail. So, is there any possibility that his PR would be rejected on the basis of misrepresentation during his study permit? Kindly help.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Good idea to not hide it. That is misrepresentation and could haunt him forever. Hard to say if IRCC will do anything about his previous omission, but I doubt it.

Imm007CA

Apr 21, 2019
Do not misrepresent, lie, ect ect. Read the forms carefully and answer honestly. Otherwise there's always the risk of it haunting you later in life.

Recently, IRB squashed a woman's appeal to an exclusion. She didn't mention her sister in a spousal sponsorship application, namely part of her PR app. The sister who she didn't mention, made a refugee claim. Some 3rd party tipped IRCC about the misrepresentation. End result deportation.

You can read the decision here:
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2018/2018canlii129883/2018canlii129883.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAWTWlzcmVwcmVzZW50ZWQgc2libGluZwAAAAAB&resultIndex=19

Lesson is, don't lie and double check you're telling the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: k.h.p.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do not misrepresent, lie, ect ect. Read the forms carefully and answer honestly. Otherwise there's always the risk of it haunting you later in life.

Recently, IRB squashed a woman's appeal to an exclusion. She didn't mention her sister in a spousal sponsorship application, namely part of her PR app. The sister who she didn't mention, made a refugee claim. Some 3rd party tipped IRCC about the misrepresentation. End result deportation.

You can read the decision here:
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2018/2018canlii129883/2018canlii129883.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAWTWlzcmVwcmVzZW50ZWQgc2libGluZwAAAAAB&resultIndex=19

Lesson is, don't lie and double check you're telling the truth.
Not encouraging anyone to lie about family members. The case posted is way more complex. The woman likely committed immigration fraud during her first marriage. Not sure how she was able to retain PR after only living with her husband for 3 months although it seems she may have stayed another year and not admitted it. Assume she will ask for a judicial review and will then have another Canadian child. I hope the verdict sticks because the extent of her lying is ridiculous and she has been able to sponsor a 2nd husband pretty soon after she got divorced from the 1st one and will have 2 Canadian children. Not sure how she got approved for the 2nd marriage.

alimoullim91

Oct 23, 2017
Me and my parents aren't in good terms with my sister due to difference in opinions and lifestyle. As a result there was no relation, no contact, no connection nothing between us and her. Previous applications with IRCC (study, work permit) I did not mention about her thinking no existence of her in our lives. Speaking with experts and group of people for my PR application I got to know that I have to mention her regardless, which I did in my PR application along with a letter of explanation. I submitted my application yesterday and the thought of misrepresentation is killing me.

What will happen?

Reactions: Whoisthis1489

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Me and my parents aren't in good terms with my sister due to difference in opinions and lifestyle. As a result there was no relation, no contact, no connection nothing between us and her. Previous applications with IRCC (study, work permit) I did not mention about her thinking no existence of her in our lives. Speaking with experts and group of people for my PR application I got to know that I have to mention her regardless, which I did in my PR application along with a letter of explanation. I submitted my application yesterday and the thought of misrepresentation is killing me.

What will happen?
ok CIC does not care about your relationships. Listing your siblings even if they have criminal records or would be inadmissible in Canada will have no negative impact.
Your problem is that you already did commit a misrepresentation and now you want to correct it.
Of course you cannot commit another one just to keep the situation seems to be the same and you shall declare her and explain it. Because not doing it can cost you PR even citizenship in the future.

In this specific case I would suggest to check the lawyer how to deal with this situation. It is really hard to tell how immigration will react.
Good luck there.

cyrus smith

Oct 10, 2020
Hi, we came as a visitor and filed for work permit after landing canada. my wife mentioned her real siblings in our application but she has a step sister in canada and my consultant never told me to include her in our TRV. In our express entry, my iimmigration consultant told me to include her name. Now we got our ITA and have to file for PR application and but when we checked , her step sister did not mention my wifes name in her PR application as she was her step sister. When we asked for documnets from her sister, she told us that she never gave her step sisters name in her pr application. We dont know what to do now. As we dont want to do any misrepresantation in our pr application. Can u suggest something? Can we decline ITA and go back in the pool and correct the information?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doof

cyrus smith

Oct 10, 2020
ok CIC does not care about your relationships. Listing your siblings even if they have criminal records or would be inadmissible in Canada will have no negative impact.
Your problem is that you already did commit a misrepresentation and now you want to correct it.
Of course you cannot commit another one just to keep the situation seems to be the same and you shall declare her and explain it. Because not doing it can cost you PR even citizenship in the future.

In this specific case I would suggest to check the lawyer how to deal with this situation. It is really hard to tell how immigration will react.
Good luck there.

Hi ali, i m also in a similar situation. can u please tell me what happened about ur application? what was the result?

Jaspreet13

Star Member
Dec 24, 2017
First of all while filing for study permit they do not ask for sibling information so I don’t know how that person has caused misinterpretation

Reactions: Ash05

Prakash39965

Apr 24, 2021

What will happen?
What happened?

Richy2

Star Member
May 13, 2019
Well my issue has to do with TR to PR. So am obviously working more than the allowable 20hr per week for international student. i went ahead to apply and i reduce my actual working hours in the application. will ircc find out? and if they do, will that be a misrepresentation? Should i withdraw my application since i havent received confirmation of receipt of my application. Kindly advice.