+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misinterpretation of VV to WP

Sweetneha93

Dec 5, 2019
Hello Friends,

My boyfriend came to Canada on visitor visa from US and he was suppose to stay here for 6 months after which he thought of applying for WorkPermit.
During the 6month period he was consulting a immigration consultant who was going to handle this file for him.
The consultant Delayed the Work Permit and applied for it after 1 day so in total my boyfriend stayed here for 6months 1 day (one extra day )

the immigration came back asking questions as to why he stayed here for that extra day and by that time the immigration company that was handling my boyfriends profile had shut down his office.

Long story short, now he is having court dates to prove himself and he is paying a lot of money on lawyers but we are not sure if he will either get his work permit or will he be deported back to India.

The next court hearing is in January and we are very tensed.

I will appreciate if anyone can suggest or share any similar experience so that we know if the decision can be in our favour or no.

regards,
Neha

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Friends,

My boyfriend came to Canada on visitor visa from US and he was suppose to stay here for 6 months after which he thought of applying for WorkPermit.
During the 6month period he was consulting a immigration consultant who was going to handle this file for him.
The consultant Delayed the Work Permit and applied for it after 1 day so in total my boyfriend stayed here for 6months 1 day (one extra day )

the immigration came back asking questions as to why he stayed here for that extra day and by that time the immigration company that was handling my boyfriends profile had shut down his office.

Long story short, now he is having court dates to prove himself and he is paying a lot of money on lawyers but we are not sure if he will either get his work permit or will he be deported back to India.

The next court hearing is in January and we are very tensed.

I will appreciate if anyone can suggest or share any similar experience so that we know if the decision can be in our favour or no.

regards,
Neha
Your post is confusing and does not provide full details - so difficult to answer your questions.

On what basis did you boyfriend apply for a work permit? Staying in Canada for more than six months does not entitle someone to apply for a work permit. Did he have a job offer from an employer in Canada and an approved LMIA? If not - on what basis did he qualify for a work permit? Did he apply to extend his visitor status in Canada at the end of the six months to make sure he wouldn't fall out of status?

What is the court date about? Who is it with? Is it with CBSA? IRCC?

Sweetneha93

Dec 5, 2019
Your post is confusing and does not provide full details - so difficult to answer your questions.

On what basis did you boyfriend apply for a work permit? Staying in Canada for more than six months does not entitle someone to apply for a work permit. Did he have a job offer from an employer in Canada and an approved LMIA? If not - on what basis did he qualify for a work permit? Did he apply to extend his visitor status in Canada at the end of the six months to make sure he wouldn't fall out of status?

What is the court date about? Who is it with? Is it with CBSA? IRCC?

I am sorry for confusing you. Yes, he had a valid job offer letter with LMIA.
So the immigration has raised multiple questions to him for staying one extra day illegally and told him to provide details as to how and why he came to Canada from USA etc.

The next court date is with CBSA where his lawyer is going to give them proofs of all his previous study documents and other proofs like who was paying his bills when he was not working here (so it will be his real sis ) so we will show documents of her sisters job to prove that he was paying for him from the time he is here.

Any response/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am sorry for confusing you. Yes, he had a valid job offer letter with LMIA.
So the immigration has raised multiple questions to him for staying one extra day illegally and told him to provide details as to how and why he came to Canada from USA etc.

The next court date is with CBSA where his lawyer is going to give them proofs of all his previous study documents and other proofs like who was paying his bills when he was not working here (so it will be his real sis ) so we will show documents of her sisters job to prove that he was paying for him from the time he is here.

Any response/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
He was out of status in Canada at the time he applied for a work permit. There was never any chance the work permit was going to be approved.

There's really no advice any of us can offer - other than to make sure he's working closely with his lawyer. He should be prepared for the very real possibility that he will have to leave Canada.