04-04-2014
File Transfer...
11-04-2014
Med's Done....
17-02-2014
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
Hello!

I am currently compiling the paperwork for my husband's PR application, and I had a few questions:

First off, we are applying from Syria (we're currently living together in Damascus, and I am a Canadian citizen/Syrian resident).

- What are the requirements for the medical exam? Do we need to go to an embassy approved doctor? If so, where could I find that information?

- My dad is ready to write a letter for us stating he is expecting us, and we'll be staying with him upon arrival. Is there any specific information otherwise that should be included in such a letter?

- As my husband is Syrian, it is my understanding that he is required to do his biometrics. Do these need to be done before we submit all the paperwork? How can I get information on where we need to do this?

- Do we submit our sponsorship application along with the application for residency? Are there documents that can be submitted AFTER we submit the sponsorship/PR forms (such as police record, medical exams, etc)?

- Before the embassy closed in Damascus, visa applications for Syrians were being expedited. Does anyone know if Syrian family sponsorship is still being expedited? If not, would including a letter discussing our situation be helpful in speeding up the paperwork? The situation here is getting worse by the day, and while it was our mistake not to file earlier (we didn't plan to move to Canada) we are now desperate to get to Canada. According to the CIC website, current processing time from Beirut is 21 MONTHS.

- According to the CIC website, applications for permanent residency are being processed through Amman, not Beirut. I was under the impression that all Syrian applications were going through Beirut. Does anyone have any information on this? It is nearly impossible/super dangerous for us to go to Amman. If this IS true, is there no way to deliver the files to the office in Beirut and have them send it to Amman?

I am so lost on how to do all of this, and the only quotes I've gotten from agencies were for around $4000 which is WAY too much for us. We just wanna get to Canada :(

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
angryrectangle said:
- What are the requirements for the medical exam? Do we need to go to an embassy approved doctor? If so, where could I find that information?
He needs to do an upfront medical and submit along with the application. List of approved doctors you can go to are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx

My dad is ready to write a letter for us stating he is expecting us, and we'll be staying with him upon arrival. Is there any specific information otherwise that should be included in such a letter?
Just have him say he is going to support you financially if needed. He should include his full name, job title, address, phone number, email, etc (not that CIC will contact him, but just to make the letter look more official).

As my husband is Syrian, it is my understanding that he is required to do his biometrics. Do these need to be done before we submit all the paperwork? How can I get information on where we need to do this?
I think this will be part of medical exam?

- Do we submit our sponsorship application along with the application for residency? Are there documents that can be submitted AFTER we submit the sponsorship/PR forms (such as police record, medical exams, etc)?
For an outland application EVERYTHING is submitted upfront and together. The entire package is ALWAYS sent first to CPC-Mississauga, and they will then send to the appropriate visa office.

- Before the embassy closed in Damascus, visa applications for Syrians were being expedited. Does anyone know if Syrian family sponsorship is still being expedited? If not, would including a letter discussing our situation be helpful in speeding up the paperwork? The situation here is getting worse by the day, and while it was our mistake not to file earlier (we didn't plan to move to Canada) we are now desperate to get to Canada. According to the CIC website, current processing time from Beirut is 21 MONTHS.
You are free to write what you want in a cover letter, but there is really nothing you can say that will speed up your application. It will still be put in a large line-up of other applications, and will be processed according to when it was received.

Best way to speed up an app is to make sure it is complete with no errors or omissions, has all medical and police checks included, and you pay the RPRF fee upfront.

According to the CIC website, applications for permanent residency are being processed through Amman, not Beirut. I was under the impression that all Syrian applications were going through Beirut. Does anyone have any information on this? It is nearly impossible/super dangerous for us to go to Amman. If this IS true, is there no way to deliver the files to the office in Beirut and have them send it to Amman?
You mail the package to CPC-Mississauga in Canada. Not the local visa office.

angryrectangle

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
11-04-2014
Med's Done....
17-02-2014
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
Rob_TO said:
He needs to do an upfront medical and submit along with the application. List of approved doctors you can go to are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx

Just have him say he is going to support you financially if needed. He should include his full name, job title, address, phone number, email, etc (not that CIC will contact him, but just to make the letter look more official).

I think this will be part of medical exam?

For an outland application EVERYTHING is submitted upfront and together. The entire package is ALWAYS sent first to CPC-Mississauga, and they will then send to the appropriate visa office.

You are free to write what you want in a cover letter, but there is really nothing you can say that will speed up your application. It will still be put in a large line-up of other applications, and will be processed according to when it was received.

Best way to speed up an app is to make sure it is complete with no errors or omissions, has all medical and police checks included, and you pay the RPRF fee upfront.

You mail the package to CPC-Mississauga in Canada. Not the local visa office.
Thanks so much for the reply! Actually I JUST did a bit more browsing, and found that biometrics (fingerprints, eye scans) are done AT the visa office if you submit your application in person.

A couple other q's:
- There are no humanitarian grounds to speed up the application? Like, that our lives our at risk?
- We can't submit his completed application in person to the nearest visa office (Beirut) instead of mailing it to Canada (that way we'd be able to do the biometrics, as well)?

angryrectangle

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
11-04-2014
Med's Done....
17-02-2014
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
OH!! and - would it be possible to apply for some sort of visitor visa for my husband so he could come to Canada while we're waiting for his PR application to finish?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
angryrectangle said:
- There are no humanitarian grounds to speed up the application? Like, that our lives our at risk?
No. There is no reason they would process your appliciation faster then other people applying from the same region.

- We can't submit his completed application in person to the nearest visa office (Beirut) instead of mailing it to Canada (that way we'd be able to do the biometrics, as well)?
No. You MUST mail the application to CPC-Mississauga. Biometric info is not required for PR apps.

would it be possible to apply for some sort of visitor visa for my husband so he could come to Canada while we're waiting for his PR application to finish?
He can always apply for a TRV to visit Canada, and it won't impact the PR application. However there is a very high chance of refusal for this as they could feel he would simply stay in Canada after the visa expires as he wouldn't want to return back to Syria.