+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minors moving to Canada

MNB14

May 10, 2019
I am a permanent resident live in Canada with my Canadian baby boy. I have two daughters from previous marriage live outside of Canada with their father. One is born in 2002, the other is born in 2005. The father of my daughters decided to send my daughters to live with me in Canada. They are permanent residents, however their PR cards are expired. I have received a VoS for both of them confirming that they are still permanent residents. My question is: what are the options to bring them to Canada directly and not through the land boarders? Do they have a chance with a temporary travel document, highlighting the fact the both of them are minors? Who is the best to comple the needed application, myself from inside Canada or their father from outside Canada?
Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A PRTD can only be applied for from outside Canada . If your ex is not comfortable with the application then I guess you could fill out the application and mail it to him to finish off to submit it. Given the children have failed the residency obligation then you would probably need to include an H&C case why they failed , assume due to fact they were living with their father. Others can comment as well but guess you might need to sort out official custody arrangements and authority to travel, at least for the 14 year old, at the same time so maybe need to get some legal advice as opposed to a forum just to ensure every angle is covered.

Reactions: MNB14

MNB14

May 10, 2019
A PRTD can only be applied for from outside Canada . If your ex is not comfortable with the application then I guess you could fill out the application and mail it to him to finish off to submit it. Given the children have failed the residency obligation then you would probably need to include an H&C case why they failed , assume due to fact they were living with their father. Others can comment as well but guess you might need to sort out official custody arrangements and authority to travel, at least for the 14 year old, at the same time so maybe need to get some legal advice as opposed to a forum just to ensure every angle is covered.
my x-husband has already transferred the custody to myself. it will be included with all the papers. what is the chance that my daughters receive denial for PRTD? would the immigration officer take into consideration that they are minors i.e. they live with their guardian (wherever he wish to live) and they can't decide to stay in Canada? in case of PRTD rejection, would it result in revoking their PR status? can i sponsor them instead? is there another option to get them to Canada other than PRTD?
thank you so much

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
my x-husband has already transferred the custody to myself. it will be included with all the papers. what is the chance that my daughters receive denial for PRTD? would the immigration officer take into consideration that they are minors i.e. they live with their guardian (wherever he wish to live) and they can't decide to stay in Canada? in case of PRTD rejection, would it result in revoking their PR status? can i sponsor them instead? is there another option to get them to Canada other than PRTD?
thank you so much
No one can tell you if the PRTD will be approved or not. They have a better chance because they are minors but no guarantees. If the PRTDs are refused, they lose their PR status. You could then sponsor them.

The other option is for them to go to the US and enter by land.

Reactions: MNB14

MNB14

May 10, 2019
No one can tell you if the PRTD will be approved or not. They have a better chance because they are minors but no guarantees. If the PRTDs are refused, they lose their PR status. You could then sponsor them.

The other option is for them to go to the US and enter by land.

I appreciate your great feedback. Can i consult you on one last thing, can my daughters apply by themselves? or their father should apply for them?
also we could not figure out one possible document to provide as an evidence to why they had to leave Canada and not meet the residency obligation... I mean they were 2 and 5 years old when they left, and their father is the one who decided to leave back for his work.....
thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I appreciate your great feedback. Can i consult you on one last thing, can my daughters apply by themselves? or their father should apply for them?
also we could not figure out one possible document to provide as an evidence to why they had to leave Canada and not meet the residency obligation... I mean they were 2 and 5 years old when they left, and their father is the one who decided to leave back for his work.....
thank you
There isn’t really a good excuse. Imagine you got divorced and he got custody so the children moved with him. It looks like it has been around 10 years since they have been in Canada. As long as you meet your RO you can sponsor them again if necessary.