+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor with Study Permit

jayson2006

May 18, 2019
Hello,
I have a 12 years old nephew (sister's son) that has been living with me since he was 6 years old. I intended to adopt him but at the time his biological father was in prison in another country. His mother is really struggling and cannot afford to support him financially, emotionally or otherwise. Everything happened so quickly and I really never get around to do the formal adoption. I came to Canada in 2015 and it was the longest haul without my "son" I finally got him to visit Canada in 2017 and he started going to school. I did not want him to spoil his visa so I sent him back just before the six months. He was so heart broken when I told him he was going back has he really liked it here and started to develop strong friendships with my neighbours children. I took him back over the summer and sponsored him as an international student in a private school. He is really enjoying here and our bond is now stronger than ever. I am trying to figure out how I can sponsor him to become a permanent resident. I tried to go the adoption route but the process seems too long all of 28 months at which time he will be 15, and he has to be residing in the country I am adopting him from. Moreover, he is already settled in school doing extremely well socially and academically. I do not have any kids of my own, neither I'm I married my mother visits Canada but she is not a PR or citizen. Could I do a compassionate case? What are the alternate options?