+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

minor travelling alone to canada to study

hez2451

Sep 4, 2014
Hi all,

Wondering on the requirements for our nephew to come to Canada to study (from Brasil), without his parents. We are aware of the custodial papers required, but have found on the website (help centre) the following:

cic.gc.c a/english /helpcentre/ answer.asp?q=488&t=15

Can a minor child go to school in Canada without a study permit?

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if:

one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or
one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or
neither parent is physically in Canada.

So.... does he need a study permit or not? (to attend high school)
I thought he would, but then found this, so now we are completely confused!!
Thanks for your help!

nettoyant

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
If the minor doesn't have Canadian citizenship or permanent residency, then he needs a permit. I could be wrong, but I believe those exceptions are only applicable when the parents have status in Canada.

Independent of his immigration status, because he's a minor, he needs a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to take responsibility for him while in Canada.

hez2451 said:
Hi all,

Wondering on the requirements for our nephew to come to Canada to study (from Brasil), without his parents. We are aware of the custodial papers required, but have found on the website (help centre) the following:

cic.gc.c a/english /helpcentre/ answer.asp?q=488&t=15

Can a minor child go to school in Canada without a study permit?

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if:

one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or
one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or
neither parent is physically in Canada.

So.... does he need a study permit or not? (to attend high school)
I thought he would, but then found this, so now we are completely confused!!
Thanks for your help!

nettoyant

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Also refer to this:

Exceptions: Studying without a study permit
In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

minor children attending kindergarten;
minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.
When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

This being said, I believe that help topic could not be worded correctly.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The help topic is worded incorrectly. He will need a study permit. He will also have to pay around $13K in tuition per year assuming he attends a public high school. If he attends a private high school, tuition will be more.

hez2451

Sep 4, 2014
Thanks all! I appreciate the help! We are aware we would need to sign as custodians, so that's not a problem. I hadn't considered the fees to attend public school though. In reading the requirements for the high school he would be attending, it simply asks for transcripts (translated of course), copy of his passport and proof of address (from us).

Scylla... any ideas where I can find info on the expected tuition fees? (I haven't seen anything anywhere on this, and to be honest, hadn't thought of it. Private school here is approx $13K so if we are going to pay out of pocket.......)

nettoyant

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
You have to search for the school board of the district/city where the child is going to attend.
For instance, Toronto is the Toronto School Board. Once there you have to find the international student section of the website.

Something like this:
http://www.tdsb.on.ca/AboutUs/InternationalStudents.aspx
and
http://www.tdsb.on.ca/Portals/0/AboutUs/International/docs/Fee%20Schedule%20and%20Refund%20Policy%20ENGLISH%2014-15.pdf

Remember that not all high schools are ready for receiving international students. You have to check with the board/school first.