+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Study Visa

vkb2207

Dec 16, 2022
Hello All,

I am a Canadian Citizen and willing to call upon my Nephew (11 year) here for study.

My queries are?

- Can I sponsor his studies? I mean in terms of financial proof can I submit mine instead of his parent's?

- Sister is divorced, how we should be getting the documents translated. Whether translation notarized acceptable or we need to do anything else?

- As she is divorced now, and the legal rights got transferred to her for this kid whether step dad need to sign on application forms etc.

His parents are willing to stay in India and don't wanted to come.

Thanks

Regards
VK

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

I am a Canadian Citizen and willing to call upon my Nephew (11 year) here for study.

My queries are?

- Can I sponsor his studies? I mean in terms of financial proof can I submit mine instead of his parent's?

- Sister is divorced, how we should be getting the documents translated. Whether translation notarized acceptable or we need to do anything else?

His parents are willing to stay in India and don't wanted to come.

Thanks

Regards
VK
Yes, you can try to be the sponsor in his study permit application. Assume that you will need to pay 15k per year in tuition for him to attend a public school.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks much!!

Can you please help with my other query?
She will need proof that she has full custody with father having no rights. If not, both parents need to approve passport and travel outside country.

Also not only will parents (and you) have to pay tuition but also show a minimum of $10k per year for living expenses. So for one year, you want to show cash of around $25k. Income doesn’t count. So funds must not only be in the bank but bank funds need to support other family members (spouse, children etc.). Your funds may or may not be considered.

vkb2207

Dec 16, 2022
Thanks for response!!

That means my funds can't be considered? Are you sure about it?

His father has government job, but not sure if their funds be relevant if I am sponsoring his education

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for response!!

That means my funds can't be considered? Are you sure about it?

His father has government job, but not sure if their funds be relevant if I am sponsoring his education
You are not his parents. You are his guardian in Canada and not considered an immediate or extended family member. IRCC may want to see that they can afford to send their child to another country by being able to support his education. Parents funds are relevant. Just because you want to support his education doesn’t mean that IRCC will consider it. What would happen if you lost your job and cannot support the child as his guardian? It would not matter because his parents have the funds to pay for his education.

Last edited:
Reactions: Copingwithlife