+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor mistake

NinaInOT

May 20, 2016
Hey everyone! so I just noticed that in my very descriptive response to question 9 "How did your relationship develop" I constantly referred to my common law partner as my spouse, and not the former.... I also did this on every cover sheet. Is it worth the effort of correcting? Will CIC think I'm being deceptive? We are applying as common law and nothing more, however I don't want CIC to think I purposely did that. It was subconsciously done. I've printed out well over 50 cover sheets and not to mention my 10 page letter on how our relationship developed... it's way too much lol

I know it seems trivial but I don't want to ruin our chances

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spouse

A spouse is a life partner in a marriage, civil union, domestic partnership or common-law marriage.

Since all common-law applicants are applying through the Spousal Sponsorship stream, I can't imagine this being a problem.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I agree. Your common-law partner can also be called your common-law spouse, so shortening it to 'spouse' shouldn't raise any concerns. If anything, it makes you look more committed to each other. Much better than calling each other 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend'!

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
Ponga said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spouse

A spouse is a life partner in a marriage, civil union, domestic partnership or common-law marriage.

Since all common-law applicants are applying through the Spousal Sponsorship stream, I can't imagine this being a problem.
Technically yes, but in CIC documentation we always see "spouse" and "common-law or conjugal partner" separately. There might be a problem if the sponsor selected "Spouse" under "Relationship to principal applicant". In the letter it probably doesn't matter, and if questioned you can just truthfully answer that is what "spouse" means to you.