+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor landed immigrant seeking PRTD

marianhk

May 27, 2017
I was a minor 6 years old back in 1997 when I accompanied my parents to Canada as an immigrant. My parents could not continue with their intention to settle down in Canada due to pressing need to return to Karachi in Pakistan after just 3 weeks to stand by my grandparents and aunts who were anxiously needing them. They could not since then return to Canada. I had applied for a study permit which was turned down saying that I have the status of a permanent resident and need to apply for a PRTD or relinquish my status of a landed immigrant. I reapplied for a PRTD on a humanitarian and compassionate ground on the basis that I was a minor when my parents came back from Canada. I seek to know whether my application will be accepted or refused. Has anyone with same status as mine applied for a PRTD? If my application is refused will I have the right to appeal? Thanks for your assistance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I was a minor 6 years old back in 1997 when I accompanied my parents to Canada as an immigrant. My parents could not continue with their intention to settle down in Canada due to pressing need to return to Karachi in Pakistan after just 3 weeks to stand by my grandparents and aunts who were anxiously needing them. They could not since then return to Canada. I had applied for a study permit which was turned down saying that I have the status of a permanent resident and need to apply for a PRTD or relinquish my status of a landed immigrant. I reapplied for a PRTD on a humanitarian and compassionate ground on the basis that I was a minor when my parents came back from Canada. I seek to know whether my application will be accepted or refused. Has anyone with same status as mine applied for a PRTD? If my application is refused will I have the right to appeal? Thanks for your assistance.
It depends, how old are you now? If just around 20 yrs old and under, you probably have a good chance to get PR TD approved on H&C grounds.

If over 20, the chances of PR TD rejection and your PR status being revoked will be much higher.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The math suggests you are about 26 now. I think the opportunity for H&C as a minor has passed. You can still appeal, but unless you were in Canada in the last year, there is no requirement for them to Issue a PRTD to return to Canada for the appeals process.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018

Hey, do you have any update? I have a very similar situation:

This is my query: ( Long Post - asked to apply for PRTD by Bangalore embassy)
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.

jignesh72

Sep 28, 2017
Hey, do you have any update? I have a very similar situation:

This is my query: ( Long Post - asked to apply for PRTD by Bangalore embassy)
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.
hi!
can you give me your e mail address.?