+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Citizenship requirements

Jorela

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Hello, my minor stepdaughter has not lived in Canada for 730 days, but she’s coming this year to stay here permanently. She is already a PR. Will she be eligible to apply for citizenship with my spouse at the same time?

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello, my minor stepdaughter has not lived in Canada for 730 days, but she’s coming this year to stay here permanently. She is already a PR. Will she be eligible to apply for citizenship with my spouse at the same time?
To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor:
must be under 18 years of age on the day you sign the application
must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period, if required under the Income Tax Act
Find out if you need to file your taxes
can’t already have a Canadian parent
can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status
can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds

Jorela

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor:
must be under 18 years of age on the day you sign the application
must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period, if required under the Income Tax Act
Find out if you need to file your taxes
can’t already have a Canadian parent
can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status
can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds
No, this is if the minor applies on their own. My spouse will include her in his application. She doesn’t need to have been here 1095 days. I think it’s 730 ( residency obligations) but I’m not sure. I read somewhere that they need to tell if they’re going to fulfill them in the future. I’m unclear about that. But it’s not what you posted. Thanks anyway.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
No, this is if the minor applies on their own. My spouse will include her in his application. She doesn’t need to have been here 1095 days. I think it’s 730 ( residency obligations) but I’m not sure. I read somewhere that they need to tell if they’re going to fulfill them in the future. I’m unclear about that. But it’s not what you posted. Thanks anyway.
You're right..

I think it's this one:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/minors.html

Reactions: Jorela

Jorela

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Thank you. That’s what i don’t understand. It’s not required 3/5 years, but it doesn’t say anything about 2/5, at least here. I’m trying to understand if the child doesn’t meet the 730 days ro, will be eligible to apply at the same time as the parent for citizenship.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Physical presence is not required for concurrent and Non-current Minor applications under 5(2). The only requirement is minor should be a PR.

Reactions: Jorela