+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Citizenship Application : Question 15 : Passport Expired- Currently No Active Passport

Adi2005

Sep 23, 2021
Hi Experts,

I am applying for my daughter Citizenship along with the family. Her passport expired in Julu-2021.
Can I apply for the Citizenship without a valid passport.
If Yes, do I need to send some extra documentation in the application addition to the one liner space it has in the application itself ? Please suggest...

We don't want the hassle to apply in this COVID times and don't have any plans for international travel in nearby future

Thanks in advance !
Adi...

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi Experts,

I am applying for my daughter Citizenship along with the family. Her passport expired in Julu-2021.
If Yes, do I need to send some extra documentation in the application addition to the one liner space it has in the application itself ? Please suggest...

We don't want the hassle to apply in this COVID times and don't have any plans for international travel in nearby future

Thanks in advance !
Adi...
On Question 14 of the application form, there is a field to explain your situation:

If you do not have a passport or travel document that was/is valid during your five (5) year eligibility period, tell us why in the explanation box.

But I am not sure how it is going to impact the application. In my opinion, it was not a good idea to let the passport expire. Maybe it is better idea to give a call to IRCC and seek advise whether you should submit citizenship application with the current status or should first obtain passport and apply later. Just my opinion. We could wait to hear from experts on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adi2005

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Experts,

Thanks in advance !
Adi...
You'll have to explain why you did not renew her passport in the explanation box. Technically, having a valid passport isn't one of the requirements for citizenship application.

Adi2005

Sep 23, 2021
You'll have to explain why you did not renew her passport in the explanation box. Technically, having a valid passport isn't one of the requirements for citizenship application.
Thanks rajkamalmohanram for your reply ! Does explanation needs to be very elaborate and technical or simple explanation on the similar lines as above i.e. Covid + no plans to travel would be sufficient for IRCC.

Thank Again !
Adi...