+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

minor citizenship application 5(2)

Richahemant

May 31, 2021
Hello
i am applying for my minor son's citizenship under section 5(2). It says that the child does not need to meet the physical presence requirement however in the application, it asks whether the child was outside Canada for 730 days and asks for its details.
Am really confused. please provide inputs.

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hello
i am applying for my minor son's citizenship under section 5(2). It says that the child does not need to meet the physical presence requirement however in the application, it asks whether the child was outside Canada for 730 days and asks for its details.
Am really confused. please provide inputs.
Yes you are correct Minors do not need to meet physical presence criteria but you will still provide the details of the time the child spent away from Canada.

If the Child is more than 14 years of age then you will also need to provide Police certificates.

Richahemant

May 31, 2021
Yes you are correct Minors do not need to meet physical presence criteria but you will still provide the details of the time the child spent away from Canada.

If the Child is more than 14 years of age then you will also need to provide Police certificates.
Thanks a lot.
Can you please share the link where it says that they need to get police certificate as I cannot find the requirement
Thanks

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Thanks a lot.
Can you please share the link where it says that they need to get police certificate as I cannot find the requirement
Thanks
Yes you are correct there is no PCC requirement anymore for minors above 14 years of age, so you will just fill in the details if the minor left Canada for a total of 730 days or more in the past five (5) years or since becoming a permanent resident.

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
@Richahemant I gather while the minor does not need to meet the physical residence requirement of 1,095 days to qualify for citizenship application, his/her parent must fulfill that requirement in order for the minor's application to be accepted. I assume you have met the requirement?

Richahemant

May 31, 2021
Dear members
Has anyone got their child's citizenship if the child was not physically present in Canada for 3 out of 5 years but has a valid PR card under section 5 (2).
One of the parent has met the requirement and is applying with the child.

Please respond...
Thanks and Regards

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Dear members
Has anyone got their child's citizenship if the child was not physically present in Canada for 3 out of 5 years but has a valid PR card under section 5 (2).
One of the parent has met the requirement and is applying with the child.

Please respond...
Thanks and Regards
Following this post.

muralie krishna

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
I applied for citizenship for my son as a minor. After I got Canadian Citizenship, I got a job offer in the US and moved to the USA with my wife and son who landed with me. I was not planning to get Canadian Citizenship for them at that time since my son is US Citizen and my Green Card was in process when i moved to the USA. Now my son wanted to go to the University of Toronto and before he turned 18 i applied for his Citizenship from the USA. They said that we have to be in Canada before they will schedule him for the oath. So currently in Canada and in quarantine. We came to Canada on 6/13 and submitted the immigration stamp (requested the border official to stamp his passport) as proof of us coming to Canada and now his status has changed to Decision Made from in progress. Hoping his oath will be scheduled in the next 2 weeks.

Richahemant

May 31, 2021
I hope your son is a Canadian citizen also by now.
Just wanted to clarify that in the past 5 years, did your son stayed in Canada for 730 days to maintain his PR status.
One of the conditions in 5 (2) is that the PR status of the child must be maintained. So I am confused
Please let me know ASAP
Warm Regards
Richa

muralie krishna

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
Yes, my son became a Canadian Citizen this week. We did not get a chance to come to Canada after we moved to the US and this was his first visit nearly after 13 years. But since he was staying with me, Canadian Citizen, to meet that requirement for PR eligiblity.

Richahemant

May 31, 2021
Thanks for your reply dear.
I hope this applies in my case as well. Good luck to your son for his future endeavors

tvutex

Feb 20, 2022
Hello Richahemant,

I have the same question like yours, wonder how it has been going with your child's application? Thanks !

Thanks for your reply dear.
I hope this applies in my case as well. Good luck to your son for his future endeavors