+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor child visitor visa IMM5646

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hi all
My nephew , 10 years is applying for visitor visa along with his parents and intends to visit Canada for a short duration in the summer travelling along with parents. Do we need to fill and submit the IMM5646 form?
minor does not intend to study in Canada

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all
My nephew , 10 years is applying for visitor visa along with his parents and intends to visit Canada for a short duration in the summer travelling along with parents. Do we need to fill and submit the IMM5646 form?
minor does not intend to study in Canada
That is for a custodian declaration for a study permit. So no.

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
That is for a custodian declaration for a study permit. So no.
Thank you! They were using a consultant to submit the application and it didn't sit right with me about filling this document when their intent is purely to visit for barely a month and go back to their jobs and schooling in their home country.

Need some guidance on 2 questions:
  • Should they mention they are visiting family even though I am not immediate "family" by definition ? I did provide them an invitation letter saying inviting my sister, brother in law, nephew and such.
  • Based on above insights, in case I want to show my financials as sponsoring their travel and stay, would that be a red flag and potential for refusal? Their personal finances are probably not strong enough on paper for visitor visa but they do have strong ties back to home country (jobs, schooling, property, etc.)
Thank you

PS: I thought I selected the generic Visitor Visa forum, didn't realize I actually choose Moving to Canada from US forum. Apologies.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you! They were using a consultant to submit the application and it didn't sit right with me about filling this document when their intent is purely to visit for barely a month and go back to their jobs and schooling in their home country.

Need some guidance on 2 questions:
  • Should they mention they are visiting family even though I am not immediate "family" by definition ? I did provide them an invitation letter saying inviting my sister, brother in law, nephew and such.
  • Based on above insights, in case I want to show my financials as sponsoring their travel and stay, would that be a red flag and potential for refusal? Their personal finances are probably not strong enough on paper for visitor visa but they do have strong ties back to home country (jobs, schooling, property, etc.)
Thank you

PS: I thought I selected the generic Visitor Visa forum, didn't realize I actually choose Moving to Canada from US forum. Apologies.
1. So visiting extended family.
2. This is a a red flag. A family need to show that they can afford to come to Canada. It raises issues about them staying and looking for work. A month is a long visit so they need to show funds for airfare and expenses. Their ties are not as strong if they are travelling as a family. They have no family ties.

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
1. So visiting extended family.
2. This is a a red flag. A family need to show that they can afford to come to Canada. It raises issues about them staying and looking for work. A month is a long visit so they need to show funds for airfare and expenses. Their ties are not as strong if they are travelling as a family. They have no family ties.
In this case should I show my financials and declare that I will be sponsoring they stay and travel?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
In this case should I show my financials and declare that I will be sponsoring they stay and travel?
If you want, You can show your financials but you are not related by blood and it will weaken their profile. It shows they cannot afford to travel to Canada. IRCC doesn’t even have to consider your funds. Your invitation letter can say that they are staying with you. They need to show their own funds.