+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor child for a work permit holder

Mdj0218

Feb 16, 2021
Anyone here submitted a study permit for a minor child (mine is 11) without an acceptance (LOA) from the school? How was it? Was the application approved?

Mdj0218

Feb 16, 2021
I had the same problem...mine is 3 years old... anyone can share their experience?
This is a strange form to complete given if we plan to enroll my child in a public school. We need to be in Canada and find a place since they use the Catchment system in public schools and you can’t enroll a child unless you are there

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
I believe you can just apply for visitor visa for your child. The local school board will take care of the enrollment with your proof of address. You can also confirm this with the school board you intend to go to

Reactions: Mdj0218

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For some reason some VOs are requiring study permits and not TRVs. Just explain that you can't register because you don't know what catchment area you will be living in.

nitination

Jan 8, 2022
Anyone here submitted a study permit for a minor child (mine is 11) without an acceptance (LOA) from the school? How was it? Was the application approved?
Hey were you able to find an answer. I am preparing to apply for my 8yr daughter. I am in Canada on a study permit and wife already has visitor visa. Not sure what to submit in letter of acceptance at this point.

Also does a child that join a percent later on still called an Accompanying child?

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
Hey were you able to find an answer. I am preparing to apply for my 8yr daughter. I am in Canada on a study permit and wife already has visitor visa. Not sure what to submit in letter of acceptance at this point.

Also does a child that join a percent later on still called an Accompanying child?
Study permit is not required for primary and secondary school if parents are on WP or Study Permit
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=488&top=15

nitination

Jan 8, 2022

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
That's not correct as far as acquiring a visa is concerned. Until a child already has a visitor visa every child between 6-18 years of age must apply for study permit in order to enter Canada. A visitor visa application is rejected by IRCC.
Nope.. that's a incorrect notion. I have multiple examples of my colleagues's children with and without study permit where either parent is on WP. It's not needed for visa application. For school, it's optional based on exception criteria..

nitination

Jan 8, 2022
Nope.. that's a incorrect notion. I have multiple examples of my colleagues's children with and without study permit where either parent is on WP. It's not needed for visa application. For school, it's optional based on exception criteria..
So it depends upon the purpose of visa. A parent with study or work permit must apply for a child's study permit. I being a parent in Canada and am facing this situation.

This link will help you clarify the mis-notion https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children.html#toc3

Although I did find a resolve now. IRCC is promoting a new term they started using in new portal. It's called Open study permit.

I also understand that IRCC must improve their documentation as there is a subtle difference between child entering Canada and child entering school. Both terms often get mixed.

nitination

Jan 8, 2022
Ok so when I say problem with the documentation on that Canada govt web page it reads:

Minor children who want to study in Canada...

But a child entering Canada for long term say 4 years cannot be expected to not study. This is a case of 179 purpose of visit rejection.

The second problem with that web page is:

If they’re coming to Canada with parents...

So this was a bummer that I learnt. Even if they are coming to Canada to their parents already in Canada on work or study permit would still qualify for an Open study permit.

Nevermind I spent last 2-3 weeks dealing with this situation and am currently taking the brunt.

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
This link will help you clarify the mis-notion https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children.html#toc3
Ok so when I say problem with the documentation on that Canada govt web page it reads:

Minor children who want to study in Canada...

But a child entering Canada for long term say 4 years cannot be expected to not study. This is a case of 179 purpose of visit rejection.

The second problem with that web page is:

If they’re coming to Canada with parents...

So this was a bummer that I learnt. Even if they are coming to Canada to their parents already in Canada on work or study permit would still qualify for an Open study permit.

Nevermind I spent last 2-3 weeks dealing with this situation and am currently taking the brunt.
No, it's pretty straight forward, although you may find conflicting information all over the place.
  • If the child is outside Canada, apply TRV with reason as "Accompanying parent on WP/SP"
  • If the child is inside Canada, study permit is optional. There is an exception for WP/SP holders' children

The above link contains another link to "apply for a study permit" and look for "Who doesn’t need a permit to study in Canada" under 2. Who can apply