+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor application : Is the child legally adopted ?

Ace2000

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Hi everyone,
I sent my application with my two children last month, In the minor's application section 4 it is asked:
A) The person applying is the Parent or Guardian - I checked 'Parent'
B) Is the child minor legally adopted ? No - Yes

I left subsection B) unanswered as my child is not adopted and I am a biological parent and thought this subsection is for guardians or for those who have adopted.
On page 3 they ask for all the details of both parents and also whether the minor's parents are biological or adoptive parent, for which I checked 'biological' for both parents and also attached copy of their birth certificates.
Please advise will they return our applications as 'B' was left unanswered ?
If yes, what should I do now ?
Thank you.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I saw a similare case on Facebook group today someone also left that question 4 B unanswered and just received his application back. I also submitted my application with my son's one, to be honest that question is confusing and took me 10 mins before I picked no to question 4 B, as I am a biological father.

Ace2000

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
I saw a similare case on Facebook group today someone also left that question 4 B unanswered and just received his application back. I also submitted my application with my son's one, to be honest that question is confusing and took me 10 mins before I picked no to question 4 B, as I am a biological father.
Yes I saw that post as well and than realised my mistake but that person also did not answered whether he is Natural / biological or adoptive parents, but I did ...not sure what to do ?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Yes I saw that post as well and than realised my mistake but that person also did not answered whether he is Natural / biological or adoptive parents, but I did ...not sure what to do ?
But still the unanswered question 4B was underlined in yellow. When did you send your application ?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
August 17th
This is just my suggestion, send new applications with a LOE. If they send your first applications back, they can still process the second one. If the first one is good they will just send back or ignore the second one.

Ace2000

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for your suggestion, my case is a bit complex as I sent my app with my minor a few weeks before his 18th birthday and filled out minor application form and also included original police certificates in the package. Now I if I redo it, I have to fill out the adult form and also arrange new PC's. feeling frustrated... Do I have a chance as I made it clear on the next page that I am the biological parent not adoptive on the next page ? Is there any thing else I can do like calling, web form etc. ? or just leave it there hoping they will accept it ?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Now it's taking 5-6 months before you hear anything from IRCC.You sent your application just in August, you can wait and see how it will go. Start getting all the paperwork for your adult son/daughter ready just in case they will send your applications back.It's your decision to make if you want to wait or resend new applications.
Good luck!

Reactions: Ace2000

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
A complete application has to be received by IRCC no later than 3 months after it was signed. In case you decide to simply wait to hear from them, and your application is sent back to you, I'm not sure you can just add a tick and send it back, you will be past the 3 months... Maybe others who were in this situation can shime in?

Clarify this with IRCC by phone maybe?

Also, if you decide to send another application, especially because of your kid's situation, , it does no harm probably to add a cover letter stating what you did, that could help the IRCC agent working on your application to sort things out.

In all cases, good luck :)

Reactions: Ace2000

Aasia

May 10, 2020
Hi Everyone, I am applying for Citizenship with three Minors but my elder one did not receive his PR card yet, i did receive his COPR in 2021 but never received his PR card. so what should I add in his 2piece of ID in the application.