+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor application for citizenship (below 14 years)

karthicktalk

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
I am planning to submit minor application for citizenship for my kid (i am a canadian), my question is, should the minor be in canada at the time of submitting the application (or) can the application submitted when the minor is outside canada(living with canadian) ?

What is the processing time ? Do i need to submit copy of all the pages of passport ?

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I am planning to submit minor application for citizenship for my kid (i am a canadian), my question is, should the minor be in canada at the time of submitting the application (or) can the application submitted when the minor is outside canada(living with canadian) ?

What is the processing time ? Do i need to submit copy of all the pages of passport ?

Thanks in advance.

1. Has to be in Canada, but doesn't have to meet RO.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Thanks in advance.
Are you a Canadian citizen by birth or naturalisation (i.e. not by descent)? Child born recently to you (after you got citizenship)?

Without getting overly complicated - if it's your child and you're a citizen by birth or naturalization, then (probably) the child is a Canadian by right (by birth) and you just need to register/demonstrate it.

There are cases where the child is not born a citizen (eg you were a citizen by descent or child was born before you got citizenship); the child could request a grant of citizenship but not from abroad.

Hope I've not overly complicated things (and stated this accurately).

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Thanks in advance.
I dont see a requirement for the child needs to be inside Canada while sending the application.
Give mailing address in canada so that you can receive communication if any, even though nowadays its all in email(except for final certificate of course).
So just send the application with current home address and give it a shot. Nothing to loose as you are not lying about anything hence you can see if you need to really travel to make an application(i doubt that would be necessary).

Also for sure, they will ask at the end to know when the child will travel to canada for oath as i have seen posts for the same as we cannot take oath outside.

No idea about processing time but for adults it varies from 1-2 years, depends on officer, officer, files complexity etc.

Follow instructions and submit necessary documents rather asking over here as rules change all the time.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
As armoured said, i assume you are citizen by naturalization hence you are now applying for your child.

Last edited:
Reactions: karthicktalk

karthicktalk

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
I dont see a requirement for the child needs to be inside Canada while sending the application.
Give mailing address in canada so that you can receive communication if any, even though nowadays its all in email(except for final certificate of course).
So just send the application with current home address and give it a shot. Nothing to loose as you are not lying about anything hence you can see if you need to really travel to make an application(i doubt that would be necessary).

Also for sure, they will ask at the end to know when the child will travel to canada for oath as i have seen posts for the same as we cannot take oath outside.

No idea about processing time but for adults it varies from 1-2 years, depends on officer, officer, files complexity etc.

Follow instructions and submit necessary documents rather asking over here as rules change all the time.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
As armoured said, i assume you are citizen by naturalization hence you are now applying for your child.
Thank you all for the reply.

I am citizen via naturalization, now, i am applying for my kid (4.5 years old), so, i don't think, there is oath ceremony for minor less than 14 years old(as they don't have oath, test, biometric etc..)

If i understand correctly, i can do an online application submission, provide canadian mailing address & wait for that to complete. I will try to apply from canada, if whatever reason, if i end up applying outside canada, i should be covered (that is what i was checking).

Anyone who recently submitted minor application, please share your feedback on processing time(what documents they asked before finalizing all the steps)...

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am citizen via naturalization, now, i am applying for my kid (4.5 years old), so, i don't think, there is oath ceremony for minor less than 14 years old(as they don't have oath, test, biometric etc..)
So your child was born before you became a citizen? What's the child's status in Canada now? What was the child's status in Canada when you were naturalized?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

If i understand correctly, i can do an online application submission, provide canadian mailing address & wait for that to complete. I will try to apply from canada, if whatever reason, if i end up applying outside canada, i should be covered (that is what i was checking).
Like armoured noted, you need to clarify on child status.
Is your child a PR now? This is the main requirement, apart from you being a citizen.

Oath: I am not sure how it works for minor applying alone. Lets wait for others to comment.

Yes, just apply for citizenship.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Like armoured noted, you need to clarify on child status.
Is your child a PR now? This is the main requirement, apart from you being a citizen.

Oath: I am not sure how it works for minor applying alone. Lets wait for others to comment.
Oath: not required for children under 14. I believe it is an option for those younger than that who wish.

But as far as I can tell from the little info above, child cannot be eligible for citizenship without being PR and residing in Canada. Repeat, though, several points of clarification needed from the OP.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oath: not required for children under 14. I believe it is an option for those younger than that who wish.

But as far as I can tell from the little info above, child cannot be eligible for citizenship without being PR and residing in Canada. Repeat, though, several points of clarification needed from the OP.
Correct. op needs to tell more about the situation to see if child is eligible.

But i dont see that one needs to be present inside Canada in the instructions or in the form.
When i applied last year for me and my son, we dont even have option to enter outside address as home/mailing address(even though there was no instruction to make it mandatory to make me to be inside while applying). Now they have even updated both adult and child forms to include the country and mentioning as prov/state instead of mentioning just province. As they removed the intent clause few years ago, they are slowly updating things i guess.

So I dont see the address is a problem but we are already facing delays (for few among whoever mentioned as not staying inside) is another problem by officers intent on placing the file on hold. I dont know how they will treat the minor application who is not residing is whole another issue to deal with.
Surely there was another member who had US address and the officer didnt delay for sure. So this seems to be depending on very few officer.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Correct. op needs to tell more about the situation to see if child is eligible.

But i dont see that one needs to be present inside Canada in the instructions or in the form.
When i applied last year for me and my son
It's a fair point, I'm not 100% certain of this - although I'd note yours is a slightly different case from the OP (OP already a citizen).

But key point: again, kid needs to be PR, and certainly actually landed as a PR, not just approved. (Not clear from OP's posts)

Reactions: harirajmohan

Ahv

Mar 13, 2016
Hello, I have a question about Date when we sign the application.
Can I use two different dates on my kid (minor 7yrs) form and my form. I am sending both application in one envelope
My form - 2021-11-26
Kid form - 2021-11-28

Please advise

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I have a question about Date when we sign the application.
Can I use two different dates on my kid (minor 7yrs) form and my form. I am sending both application in one envelope
My form - 2021-11-26
Kid form - 2021-11-28

Please advise
Won't matter.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When i applied last year for me and my son, we dont even have option to enter outside address as home/mailing address(even though there was no instruction to make it mandatory to make me to be inside while applying). Now they have even updated both adult and child forms to include the country and mentioning as prov/state instead of mentioning just province. As they removed the intent clause few years ago, they are slowly updating things i guess.

So I dont see the address is a problem but we are already facing delays (for few among whoever mentioned as not staying inside) is another problem by officers intent on placing the file on hold. I dont know how they will treat the minor application who is not residing is whole another issue to deal with.
I was thinking about this and yes, it may be difficult in law to have some requirement minors must reside in Canada.

But if they don't, it renders the whole structure of several parts of citizenship law/policy over the years absurdly irrelevant.

Take, for example, the citizenship-by-descent structure (assuming there is no residency requirement) - a citizen born abroad can't pass on citizenship. BUT, that same citizen can sponsor children, land them as PRs, depart the next day and then apply for citizenship.

And THOSE children will be citizens by naturalization and, therefore, eligible to pass citizenship on to their children, whether or not they ever spend any time in Canada again.

[I hate to compare but at least the USA treatment of this is at least somewhat coherent: for the most part to pass on citizenship, one of the parents must be a citizen who meets a residency requirement in the USA (some number of years above age of 14) - and that resdiency requirement applies to citizens by birth as well. Warning, this is an extremely simplified summary and I'm certain I have some of it wrong, or doesn't apply in all cases, etc.]

Last edited:
Reactions: harirajmohan

karthicktalk

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
Sorry for the late reply, my daughter (4.5yrs) is a PR(landed immigrant, recently became), she was in a visitor visa(when I became naturalized citizen/her PR application was in process), so when I submit her application along with the asked documents, I will get AOR, then, after few/many more months later, I will receive her citizenship in mail, right?

i. Will there be any interviews or asking all pages for minor passports?- anyone who got minor citizenship, please share your thoughts.
ii. Mailing address has to be inside Canada, right?(no US or international address allowed?)
iii. If I apply from city1, for some reason, if I move to city2(say different province(not moving to quebec), it doesn't matter, right?

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry for the late reply, my daughter (4.5yrs) is a PR(landed immigrant, recently became), she was in a visitor visa(when I became naturalized citizen/her PR application was in process), so when I submit her application along with the asked documents, I will get AOR, then, after few/many more months later, I will receive her citizenship in mail, right?

i. Will there be any interviews or asking all pages for minor passports?- anyone who got minor citizenship, please share your thoughts.
ii. Mailing address has to be inside Canada, right?(no US or international address allowed?)
iii. If I apply from city1, for some reason, if I move to city2(say different province(not moving to quebec), it doesn't matter, right?

Thanks.
Yes, I think that's the process.

1. Can't answer, but don't think there's any reason they should ask for all of that.
2. Don't know, but probably better if mailing address in Canada.
3. Doesn't matter, just update address.

Reactions: karthicktalk