+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MINOR APPLICATION 5(2)

criscanada

Jan 31, 2015
Dear Experts,

I am a Canadian Citizen by Naturalization. My minor children are in my home country with my wife. My Children are PR and PR is valid until June 2020. They lived here for 1 year. I missed to apply for citizenship for them when I applied for mine ( I feel like a stupid)

I understand I can apply for "Application for Canadian citizenship – Minors (under 18 years of age) applying under subsection 5(2)".

1. Please someone confirm that this subsection 5(2) is still Valid ( not repealed - I read in a website)
2. Both of my Children's passport have expired. Can I still submit them.
3. Both of them currently do not live in Canada. Is this ok? Will there be any Issue?
4. Can I use School Id from my home country as ID proof?

Kindly share your experience and knowledge.

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Dear Experts,

I am a Canadian Citizen by Naturalization. My minor children are in my home country with my wife. My Children are PR and PR is valid until June 2020. They lived here for 1 year. I missed to apply for citizenship for them when I applied for mine ( I feel like a stupid)

I understand I can apply for "Application for Canadian citizenship – Minors (under 18 years of age) applying under subsection 5(2)".

1. Please someone confirm that this subsection 5(2) is still Valid ( not repealed - I read in a website)
3. Both of them currently do not live in Canada. Is this ok? Will there be any Issue?

1- yes
details:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html

This application is meant for those who:
  • are minors under 18 years of age,
  • are permanent residents (landed immigrants) of Canada,
  • meet the citizenship physical presence requirements.
  • do not already have a Canadian parent
  • are not applying for citizenship at the same time as their parent or who wish to qualify on their own

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
This form for an application under subsection 5(2) is intended for minors (persons under the age of 18) who are permanent residents of Canada who are applying at the same time as their parent or who already have a Canadian parent.

2- yes

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents of your child (valid and cancelled) for the relevant five (5) year period immediately before the date of your application or since the child became a permanent resident.

3- subsection 5(2) doesn't ask for time living in Canada. However, subsection 5(1) does...
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html
meet the citizenship physical presence requirements.

4- it needs photo

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#CIT0003E4

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-minors-subsection-5-11.html

Two (2) pieces of personal identification
Both pieces of identification should show the name and date of birth of the minor. One must have the minor’s photo on it.

Examples include:

• Identity card issued by a provincial/territorial/federal government
  • Social services card
  • a Canadian driver’s license
  • a Canadian health insurance card
  • School ID card
  • a copy of the biographical page of a passport/travel document, etc.
If there is information on both sides of the personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

Note: Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards, bank cards and credit cards are not acceptable pieces of identification.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Dear Experts,

I actually called CIC call center regarding this before I turned in my citizenship application because I have the same situation just like you have with your children because my daughter is going to school in the US. At that time, the call center agent checked with her supervisor and informed me this. Although the minor does not need to meet the residency requirements like the adults do (1095 days out of 5 years to be eligible for citizenship), the minors do need to live in Canada for at least 730 days out of 5 years in order to keep permanent residency. She said, "in order for the minors to be eligible for citizenship, they must not have had any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status." If your children lived here for only one year, they still need to come live here one more year until they accumulated 730 days within 5 years.

"Minor children must not:

• be subject to any prohibition under the Citizenship Act (see section 11 of the application form CIT 0003); and/or
  • have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status; and/or
  • be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada). "

Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
Dear Experts,

@k300k3 @criscanada do you know if applying alone for a kid under 5(1) or 5(2) require the kid to be in Canada for any step during the process?