+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor application 5(2) from abroad

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
Hi, I plan to apply for me first as my daughter will be out of Canada.

1. Once I become citizen, can I apply for my daughter alone under 5(2)? She is a PR, and will meet PR RO at that time. She is under 14.
2. Can she be outside Canada for her whole application since she won’t need to take oath?

Many thanks.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, I plan to apply for me first as my daughter will be out of Canada.

1. Once I become citizen, can I apply for my daughter alone under 5(2)? She is a PR, and will meet PR RO at that time. She is under 14.
2. Can she be outside Canada for her whole application since she won’t need to take oath?

Many thanks.
Better apply when you doing it. Her physical presence does not matter.

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
Better apply when you doing it. Her physical presence does not matter.
If I apply for her along side me, then when I take oath, does she need to be in canada too? That’s the main reason I consider having her applied later as it might be difficult to fly her over in a short notice.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
If I apply for her along side me, then when I take oath, does she need to be in canada too? That’s the main reason I consider having her applied later as it might be difficult to fly her over in a short notice.
Kids are not needed for oath. Your and kids oath will happen at the same time and she need not be in Canada during that time too.

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
Kids are not needed for oath. Your and kids oath will happen at the same time and she need not be in Canada during that time too.
Oh thanks for your info. Is there somewhere they say the kid doesn’t have to be in Canada during my oath?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Oh thanks for your info. Is there somewhere they say the kid doesn’t have to be in Canada during my oath?
I don't think IRCC will ever write something like that because the general expectation is younger kids usually reside with parents but expectational situation makes kids living apart in different country with other parent. That does not stop them from getting citizenship if you can manage sending the cut PR card to IRCC. You can even apply for passport in Canada in there absence.

Reactions: stnguyenvn

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't think IRCC will ever write something like that because the general expectation is younger kids usually reside with parents
^^I think this part at least is correct.

I do not know, and am less confident, that it is automatic that it will get approved if the child is clearly not living in Canada. They can delay things - either because they think the intent of the provisions is different, or because they don't honestly know and it's not covered in internal manuals, etc., and they have to go through internal approval processes to check. Maybe it's like some other things that they don't really like but the laws/regs don't forbid, so they do approve but ... reluctantly. I just don't know.

For those with kids in Canada: it's a bureaucratic process that seems (from my experience anyway) to be quick (by IRCC standards, anyway).