+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Alone 5(2) Applications

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
I applied for my child under 5(2) - (minor application with a Canadian Parent)- on August 2023, and so far no update to the application. AoR received on Sep 2023. Had a few calls and one GCMS note. There have been no updates so far. Is there anybody with a child-alone application from August or even before? What is the normal processing time for minor applications? Thanks in advance.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I applied for my child under 5(2) - (minor application with a Canadian Parent)- on August 2023, and so far no update to the application. AoR received on Sep 2023. Had a few calls and one GCMS note. There have been no updates so far. Is there anybody with a child-alone application from August or even before? What is the normal processing time for minor applications? Thanks in advance.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There are not very many of these types of applications - I did one, and I've seen a few others posted here. They seem to take less than the regular citizenship applications (because for minors, hence no tests, checkign of residency obligation, security quicker, etc). But the ones I've seen have been 5-10 months, if I remember correctly.

stnguyenvn

Aug 23, 2020
There are not very many of these types of applications - I did one, and I've seen a few others posted here. They seem to take less than the regular citizenship applications (because for minors, hence no tests, checkign of residency obligation, security quicker, etc). But the ones I've seen have been 5-10 months, if I remember correctly.
@armoured @sri88 any update?

Does the kid need to be in canada any time during the process?

many thanks.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
@armoured @sri88 any update?

Does the kid need to be in canada any time during the process?

many thanks.
no updates to my application. We are waiting for further updates..

l am not sure about the kids physical presence. All I know is they do not need 3 yr physical presence obligation, if anyone of the parent is a Canadian at the time of application. Separate applications for kids ( non group)under 5(2) takes time as CPC-S is the processing office ..

Reactions: stnguyenvn

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Dear all, I have an update for the 5(2) - non-concurrent ( Minor with a Canadian parent application). I applied for my child after acquiring my citizenship under 5(2).

Timeline and comments:
  • 4th Aug 2023- Application filed ( Minor 5(2)- non concurrent - Online application with e-certificate)
  • 12th Sep 2023- AoR - 2 days after was able to link the application in the status portal. Everything except Oath and Test: in progress. (note: the applicant is a minor, so not required)
  • Sep 2023- April 2024- Complete Silence in between requested a couple of GCMS notes, and there was no progress.
  • 4th April 2024 ( 8 months after filing) - received an email from " Client Information" with "Subject: Destruction of PR card "
" Please be advised that we have finalized your grant application, and an eCertificate will be issued to you.
Upon receiving your Citizenship Certificate, you must destroy your permanent resident (PR) card by cutting it in half. Destroy your card even if it is expired or damaged to protect the privacy and security of your personal information."

comments:
  • No status change in the application Portal
  • No e-certificate download instruction email
  • Application processed completely at CPC Sydney ( Niagara Falls Secondary office)
I made a trial to download the certificate using my IRCC account, and it worked. So, in summary, I received the email above and, on the same day, was able to download the e-certificate from my (parents' ) IRCC account.

I hope this will help non-concurrent minor applicants. Thank you

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Dear all, I have an update for the 5(2) - non-concurrent ( Minor with a Canadian parent application). I applied for my child after acquiring my citizenship under 5(2).

Timeline and comments:
  • 4th Aug 2023- Application filed ( Minor 5(2)- non concurrent - Online application with e-certificate)
  • 12th Sep 2023- AoR - 2 days after was able to link the application in the status portal. Everything except Oath and Test: in progress. (note: the applicant is a minor, so not required)
  • Sep 2023- April 2024- Complete Silence in between requested a couple of GCMS notes, and there was no progress.
  • 4th April 2024 ( 8 months after filing) - received an email from " Client Information" with "Subject: Destruction of PR card "
" Please be advised that we have finalized your grant application, and an eCertificate will be issued to you.
Upon receiving your Citizenship Certificate, you must destroy your permanent resident (PR) card by cutting it in half. Destroy your card even if it is expired or damaged to protect the privacy and security of your personal information."

comments:
  • No status change in the application Portal
  • No e-certificate download instruction email
  • Application processed completely at CPC Sydney ( Niagara Falls Secondary office)
I made a trial to download the certificate using my IRCC account, and it worked. So, in summary, I received the email above and, on the same day, was able to download the e-certificate from my (parents' ) IRCC account.

I hope this will help non-concurrent minor applicants. Thank you
Thanks for sharing! Question - do you know if the parent needs to stay in Canada during the time the child application is under processing? For example, the parent living in the US for employment opportunities while the application is in process?

war1000

Apr 4, 2024
I registered just so could understand your approach. I got the PR card destruction email for my minor kid today too. I tried to create an account with my email but I do not see any applications in the account. It has the option to link an application but the options seems to be an application for myself. Would you kindly provide some additional info on what exactly you did to get the ecert for your kid? Thank you!

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
I registered just so could understand your approach. I got the PR card destruction email for my minor kid today too. I tried to create an account with my email but I do not see any applications in the account. It has the option to link an application but the options seems to be an application for myself. Would you kindly provide some additional info on what exactly you did to get the ecert for your kid? Thank you!
https://portal-portail.apps.cic.gc.ca/signin?lang=en

try this. This is the portal I used to download my certificate. If you don't have an account, you may have to wait for the invite code. Login, click on the "Download e-certificate link, and enter the child's application number, UCI and date of birth.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Thanks for sharing! Question - do you know if the parent needs to stay in Canada during the time the child application is under processing? For example, the parent living in the US for employment opportunities while the application is in process?
I am not sure. But I assume it's not an issue. All we need is to provide the document for parents' citizenship at the time of application.

Reactions: ccaallvviinn

war1000

Apr 4, 2024
May i ask how did you get your certificate? electronic version or paper version?
I have not received the cert yet. I applied online for my kid and only got the pr destruction email today. but no instructions on the ecertificate

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
I have not received the cert yet. I applied online for my kid and only got the pr destruction email today. but no instructions on the ecertificate
I meant about the parent. If the Parent got Canadian Citizenship by Naturalization , what option did you provide? If parent has an account for downloading e-certificate, you can use it to download the minor as well. If the parent doesn't have an account, wait for IRCC to send instructions to download the minor's certificate.