+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum wage for Manitoba 12.25

soccer12o

Dec 17, 2012
12.25 is the legal minimum wage rate. However, for students who want to work 40 hours instead of 20 hours, what is the wage rate for them? Since it would be illegal to work 40 hours.

Furthurmore, DO STUDENTS GET PART TIME JOB IN MANITOBA EASILY? I MEAN, IN A STORE, AS A SHOPKEEPER etc..If, for students who are not allowed to work in canada like without a workpermit, then what is the minimum/approx minimum wage rate?

ANY EXPIERENCED STUDENT MIGHT ANSWER IT WELL :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
soccer12o said:
12.25 is the legal minimum wage rate.
Minimum wage in Manitoba is $10.25 (not $12.25).

http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standards/doc%2Cminimum-wage%2Cfactsheet.html

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
soccer12o said:
12.25 is the legal minimum wage rate. However, for students who want to work 40 hours instead of 20 hours, what is the wage rate for them? Since it would be illegal to work 40 hours.

Furthurmore, DO STUDENTS GET PART TIME JOB IN MANITOBA EASILY? I MEAN, IN A STORE, AS A SHOPKEEPER etc..If, for students who are not allowed to work in canada like without a workpermit, then what is the minimum/approx minimum wage rate?

Any one working more than the allowed limit would be considered breaking the rules and their student permit can be revoked. similarly, anyone employing a student who is breaking the law and working illegally will also be penalized.

Be very wary of those who know you will be working illegally (more than allowed hours or under the table) as it can lead to a few things:
1. you get paid less than the minimum wage
2. you will probably not be treated fairly
3. you will probably have to do more work for less money
4. the employer may even screw you on the money they owe you for the work done

I have seen this happen where someone would employ a student and promise to pay under the table, the student works for a month and the employer tells them to forget the $$ or they will report them to the authorities.

so in any case, its a lose-lose situation for you.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

soccer12o said:

1. Before asking wages for cash based job, you may like to read it

http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/09/22/two-female-nigerian-students-in-canada-face-deportation-for-violating-their-work-permit-order/
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/13/nigerian-students-face-deportation-for-walmart-mixup

tiger007

Champion Member
soccer12o said:

Hi,

If you want to save yourself from possible exploitation (often by one's own community people), possible deportation (if you get caught working illegally)... then settle down, make some contacts, volunteer, join clubs, committees, hobby classes ( eg. martial arts classes etc.), gym.. anything to network with "Canadians", make friends.. and then after 6 months, when you actually get a valid Off Campus Work permit, apply for SIN, then try to find a "valid & Legal" part time job where not only receiving the minimum wage will be your right but also, if you start to see yourself as victim of cheating, racism, sexism or any other prejudice... you can immediately take action within your full legal rights and complain to the authorities. So.. really makes no sense earning few dollars illegally under the table... when there's so much at risk.
Hope u get the point.

**All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too

soccer12o

Dec 17, 2012
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Yes Amir, I shall be going winnipeg but not ICM, I would directly apply to University of Manitoba instead of ICM.

ICM is useless!