+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum stay requirement for minor.

konut1

Apr 18, 2016
Hello folks,

As an adult requires 2 year in every 5 year to stay in Canada to maintain PR and 3 year prior to applying for citizenship. please inform what are the norms for accompanying minors.

tried via google with no luck

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
konut1 said:
Hello folks,

As an adult requires 2 year in every 5 year to stay in Canada to maintain PR and 3 year prior to applying for citizenship. please inform what are the norms for accompanying minors.

Thanks in advance.
why would you think was any different to an adult.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
konut1 said:
Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.
Why do you expect there can be a difference in requirement?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
konut1 said:
Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.
It's actually 4 years of residency required for citizenship. Bill C6 hasn't been passed as of yet, and there is no guarantee that it will in its current form.

konut1

Apr 18, 2016
Bs65 said:
why would you think was any different to an adult.
I came across one of the thread here on the forum.. unable to link it, I have quoted the same below.

"To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement."

just confused.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
konut1 said:
I came across one of the thread here on the forum.. unable to link it, I have quoted the same below.

"To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement."

just confused.
Interesting as per here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp an adult can apply for citizenship as long as they are 4 years (1460 days) out of a 6 year period in Canada and providing the child is under 18 they can apply for citizenship for the child at the same time. According that link the adult must have been in Canada at least 183 days in each the preceeding 4 years again minors excluded from that. Still think that minors need as with adults to meet the 2 out of 5 year residency requirement to maintain PR but CIC is not clear on that. Otherwise what would stop a minor landing at 10 years old getting PR leaving the country to live with another parent until 17 then coming back to still have PR and citizenship, maybe thats allowed CIC just not clear maybe everything is linked to the PR parent in Canada so if they do not meet residency requirement then by default the child does not either whether they in the country or not. I cannot comment on that.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR children have to meet the RO just like adult PR's. However, if a PR child were to lose their PR based on not meeting the RO, they or their parent can appeal based on the minor child not having made the decision to leave Canada or if the PR parent is living in Canada and meets the RO themselves, they can sponsor the child again.

A PR child's status is protected if they are outside Canada accompanying a parent who is a Canadian citizen or who is a PR who has been transferred outside of Canada by a Canadian employer.

As has been stated here already, it used to be 3 years required to apply for citizenship and now it's 4. Children do not have to meet that requirement but they do need a parent to apply for them.

cv07

Nov 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23rd July, 2014
Nomination.....
27th Nov, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Application started processing on 5th Feb, 2015
Med's Request
11th March, 2015
Med's Done....
20th March, 2015
Passport Req..
1st May, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
9th May, 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 31, 2016
Need expert advice on stopping child benefits

My family (my spouse+my son+myself) have a valid Canadian PR and we had landed in Canada on 31st Jan 2016. Due to an emergency we had to come back to India on April 19. We had already applied for CCTB, UCCB in the first month. The combined amount for which (3 months) was credited to my wife's Canadian bank account on April 20. While we were in Canada, we had not received any communication from CRA regarding this but the letter came when we had already left for India. Now I have following queries:
1. How do we stop CCTB+UCCB for the time we are in India and till be come back to Canada. It may take us another year to return to Canada and we do not want to take undue advantage of benefits provided by Canadian govt.. We had tried calling CRA via phone and the agent suggested to send them filled form NR73. However, I tried searching on internet and people have suggested not to fill this form unless under expert guidance.
What other options do we have? If we do not get the payments stopped, it might reflect negatively on our records, which we do not want.

2. Only my wife has received her PR card while in Canada, while my son and myself had to resend our photographs. So our PR cards are still to be dispatched. Will our returning to India and the above case play a negative role in getting the PR cards.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

cv07

Nov 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23rd July, 2014
Nomination.....
27th Nov, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Application started processing on 5th Feb, 2015
Med's Request
11th March, 2015
Med's Done....
20th March, 2015
Passport Req..
1st May, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
9th May, 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 31, 2016
Re: Need expert advice on stopping child benefits

Any expert advice?

cv07 said:
My family (my spouse+my son+myself) have a valid Canadian PR and we had landed in Canada on 31st Jan 2016. Due to an emergency we had to come back to India on April 19. We had already applied for CCTB, UCCB in the first month. The combined amount for which (3 months) was credited to my wife's Canadian bank account on April 20. While we were in Canada, we had not received any communication from CRA regarding this but the letter came when we had already left for India. Now I have following queries:
1. How do we stop CCTB+UCCB for the time we are in India and till be come back to Canada. It may take us another year to return to Canada and we do not want to take undue advantage of benefits provided by Canadian govt.. We had tried calling CRA via phone and the agent suggested to send them filled form NR73. However, I tried searching on internet and people have suggested not to fill this form unless under expert guidance.
What other options do we have? If we do not get the payments stopped, it might reflect negatively on our records, which we do not want.

2. Only my wife has received her PR card while in Canada, while my son and myself had to resend our photographs. So our PR cards are still to be dispatched. Will our returning to India and the above case play a negative role in getting the PR cards.

Thanks in advance for your advice.