+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum ielts score to apply for Express Entry Canada.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi, my spouse and I are applying for express entry. My wife is the 2nd applicant in the application and I will be the main applicant, what is the minimum ielts score she should get in order to apply with me to the Express entry? She has two bands scores less than 5 while the other two are 7's. Is that okay? Our crs score together (with her terrible ielts grades) is 471. While on the other hand, if she doesn't do ielts at all, our crs score is 467. Any suggestions? Thanks.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
There's no minimum requirement for spouses.
Hi! thank you for your reply!
1-So this question was asked in the express entry application (Will your spouse or common-law partner come with you to Canada?), and I answered yes. Does this mean she is accompanying me as my spouse or is she considered as dependent family?
2- She basically got good grades on listening and reading and bad grades on writing and speaking ( writing 4 and speaking 3.5). Are you sure its not a problem and that we can go forward with the application since our crs score is high? thanks!

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi! thank you for your reply!
1-So this question was asked in the express entry application (Will your spouse or common-law partner come with you to Canada?), and I answered yes. Does this mean she is accompanying me as my spouse or is she considered as dependent family?
2- She basically got good grades on listening and reading and bad grades on writing and speaking ( writing 4 and speaking 3.5). Are you sure its not a problem and that we can go forward with the application since our crs score is high? thanks!
If you would like to claim and gain additional CRS points from your spouse’s education, work experience, and English language proficiency, your spouse will also need to validate this by getting a WES evaluation and IELTS General test results.

If your CRS score is higher than the current cutoff on your own credentials, you don’t need additional points from your spouse, and, therefore, they won’t need a WES evaluation or IELTS test results.

Make sure you add her as accompanying in your application if you are claiming points for her.
Good luck!

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
There's no minimum requirement for spouses.
Sorry for bothering but I just want to know how can I make sure that there is no minimum ielts score for secondary applicants in express entry applications? Are there some sort of guidelines or a statement on the IRCC website that states this? Thank you! Stay safe!