+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum bedrooms for family of 3?

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Hi
We are family of three with my child aged 1 year.
I wanted to know if there is any restriction as to the number of bedrooms that a family need to rent?
For example because we are a couple + child do we need by law to rent 2 bedroom apartment?
Can we rant bachelor or basement? Are there any restrictions by the law.
Thanks

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no restriction by law for families. You can rent a basement or bachelors...however most bachelor suites are very small....you might be good in one bedroom apartment. The rent will vary with the city and location.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks
I know that in some countries in USA you have that restriction, as if there is inspection they might fine you or your landlord so I wanted to make sure if that applies in Canada

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We have restrictions here too....mostly in place by the landlords and rental agencies...but couples are allowed in one bedroom apartments and since you have a baby it shouldnt be a problem.
Bachelors might be difficult though.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Hi vermanaman
I don't really understand your last post.
Can family of 3 stay in 1 bedroom apartment? Can we stay in bachelor or basement?
Is having a baby with you a problem?
Thanks

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like i said couples with a baby (family of 3 ) have no problems getting one bedroom apartment.
You can get one bedroom basement as well. However, bachelor suites might be difficult to get for a family of 3.

Baby is not an issue.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for the info
I was looking through various ads.
In your or anyone else opinion if in the ad there is "Adults only building" does that means they don't accept families with babies?
Also in http://www.rentfaster.ca/, there is section "Under 18 not allowed" does the same implies?

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
You are thinking about it too much. Laws or no laws if the landlord does not like your situation they will just rent to someone else as there is low rental vacancy in big cities, especially Calgary.

I would advise you against basement apartments, however. This is no place for a baby to grow up. There is barely any light in these places.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks mrbeachman
What about choosing apartment in a building or house.
I am interesting about the heating. Most of the ads says the utilities (water and heat) are included. About heating, they are using gas? Is there any central system for heating in Calgary as you pay flat rate for heating and everyone get the same service or you are just connected to the city pipeline and you pay as you spend.
If the second is true then I am asking this because even though the heating is included and if you rent apartment in house, meaning you will live under the same roof with the owner, he might decide to save on heating and turn in off during the night or not containing the proper temperature for a baby.
Does anyone has any thought about this?

As I said, I am coming alone I wont care much, but because I am coming with 1 year old baby I really want to make no mistake as in winter the temperatures might drop til -40C.
Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Vancouver, heat are generated either by electricity or gas. I think Calgary would be similar.