+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Military Service Visitor Visa HELP!!

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
I am helping my dad with his visitor visa application. He is from Russia and back in the days, the military service was mandatory there. He served one year in the army, however he was like an engineer there, never participated in any operations, conflicts, wars etc. He was just stationed in his native city. So there is a question in the application “have you ever served in any military, militia, civil defence unit, served in a security organization or police force (including non obligatory national service, reserve or voluntary units).”
Should he answer Yes or No? Is there a way they can find out about this service?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
He needs to answer yes.

Just as you (and most Russians) know that military service was mandatory when your father was younger, so too will the visa officers in Moscow/St Petersburg/Vladivostok... the visa officers local to each country would know facts like this.

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
He needs to answer yes.

Just as you (and most Russians) know that military service was mandatory when your father was younger, so too will the visa officers in Moscow/St Petersburg/Vladivostok... the visa officers local to each country would know facts like this.
Thank you, so do you think they will be running some extra background checks? Or this shouldn’t cause any issues?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
They will do extra background checks, typically. You have to provide details of the service, and they will try to verify it as best they can.

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
They will do extra background checks, typically. You have to provide details of the service, and they will try to verify it as best they can.
Also, he will be applying online, so It’s hard to say whether the application will go to the local office

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Also, he will be applying online, so It’s hard to say whether the application will go to the local office
For online applications, the majority of the application can be reviewed by any office, yes. But country specific information is always at least reviewed in the local office - and you can assume that there will be a review in a Russian visa office.

Lying about military service would be a bad idea, even if you are calculating risk percentages that a Canadian office does the processing....

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
For online applications, the majority of the application can be reviewed by any office, yes. But country specific information is always at least reviewed in the local office - and you can assume that there will be a review in a Russian visa office.

Lying about military service would be a bad idea, even if you are calculating risk percentages that a Canadian office does the processing....
I don’t want to lie, just don’t want for him to be stuck in background checks forever.
He doesn’t remember the details, nor has any documents regarding his service either.
So in case they ask for proof or extra details etc, it will be very hard to provide one.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Unfortunately, that isn't an excuse to say "no" to military service, especially when he was young in a time when military service was mandatory.

Reactions: bellaluna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In general if it is low level military service a long time ago it shouldn’t add a long time to background check. Unfortunately you don’t really have a choice. Risking a 5 year ban is your other option. Since mandatory military service is well known you are asking for the ban if you misrepresent.

Reactions: k.h.p.

aj0x14

Apr 1, 2023
I don’t want to lie, just don’t want for him to be stuck in background checks forever.
He doesn’t remember the details, nor has any documents regarding his service either.
So in case they ask for proof or extra details etc, it will be very hard to provide one.
Hey there can i know did you declare yes for his service or no. Because I am in same situation for father in India . He served for central reserve force in year 1992 and quit in 2 years. Doesn’t possess any proof. Just remembers the details. What happened to your father case. If declared yes how long did the verification take?

marinapinky

Apr 26, 2023
Curious about what hhappened too. I applied for my dad but i though military service they meant if you worked in the army and i answered no. Its taking forever to process his application. I hope this is not the issue. Should i send a webform maybe adding this information?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Curious about what hhappened too. I applied for my dad but i though military service they meant if you worked in the army and i answered no. Its taking forever to process his application. I hope this is not the issue. Should i send a webform maybe adding this information?
Definitely send a webform to correct this information if your father answered incorrectly. Otherwise he's risking a refusal and misrepresentation ban.

marinapinky

Apr 26, 2023
Definitely send a webform to correct this information if your father answered incorrectly. Otherwise he's risking a refusal and misrepresentation ban.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Surprisingly Visa office in Rome has been extremely helpful throughout the whole process. They helped me fix my email issues, and guide me how to do it and informed me about the status of my application without even asking.

I sent a webform and an updated imm5256b_1 including the mandatory service, explaining that I misunderstood the question and I would much rather add more information than needed rather than not include information. I explained that completing an application on your own can be quite overwhelming and complex but I have completed it to the best of my knowledge and ability.
I also told them if they need further information or clarification in anything to contact me.

Fingers crossed we won't have a problem.

Reactions: scylla