+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Migration to Canada - First Steps

Kubisek9

Sep 17, 2019
Hey all,

I am a British citizen who wants to migrate to Canada to work and potentially settle down in the future – I am interested in Ontario or Quebec provinces. I am an experienced professional with 3 years of experience in the IT industry as a Consultant, QA Analyst and Business Analyst. I have got my Master's from university in United Kingdom in 2016. I am currently 26 yo. I will be a single applicant and I also have basic knowledge of French.

I appreciate that there are plenty of threads on this forum and I have seen many posts regarding various visa programs, however I am still not sure which one is best to choose in my situation? Could someone please recommend something based on experience? That would be highly appreciated!

I have a couple of general questions regarding migration.

Could someone speak from the experience and advice whether it is better to have my permit and then apply for jobs, or apply for jobs then permit, or do it simultaneously?

Which would be best Visa to apply for? Express Entry? Work Permit? Province nomination? Federal Skilled working program? IEC Visa? Please help!

Is it better to apply on your own or use agencies?

Can someone please explain me IELTS rules? I have read that even if you are native you would still need to provide them with language test results, is that true?

How long does normally the process take?

Also how willing are Canadian companies to hire British people?

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well you can start by estimanting your score for express entry and if 460 plus then apply for EE. If not then look at PNP given the other option of an employer sponsored LMIA very difficult to get. Maybe also look at the Atlantic immigration pilot program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Everyone needs to do IELTS even native English speakers

Almost impossible to secure a job from outside Canada in advance unless you have some unique skill not readily available in Canada. Same applies if someone has been approved for PR but not yet landed in the country, employers are simply not wanting to waste time if they have resident applicants in country.

You can do it on your own it is not that difficult if you take your time. All agents will do is to help fill out forms they have no influence on the result

At 26 you still qualify for IEC which would give you possibility upto 2 years Canadian work experience which can help to get PR. This years program closed but 2020 may open Dec/Jan.

Personal view but nationality irrelevant for job applications over experience, qualifications and communication skills, the usual stuff for any job anywhere.

Average times here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ezenwa

Kubisek9

Sep 17, 2019
Thank you! These are helpful!

I have done couple of different Score Estimations but they differ on different websites from 411, 469 and 485. It seems that a job offer can boost it massively.

IEC for young professionals looks good too!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! These are helpful!

I have done couple of different Score Estimations but they differ on different websites from 411, 469 and 485. It seems that a job offer can boost it massively.

IEC for young professionals looks good too!
Note that to include the 50 job offer points, you don't just need a job offer from an employer but generally also an approved LMIA. The LMIA process is quite long and expensive for employer - generally speaking it's very difficult to find employers willing to go through this process. I would strongly recommend calculating your score without including points for a job offer. Chances are very high you won't have one that meets the requirements.

Reactions: ezenwa

Kubisek9

Sep 17, 2019
Note that to include the 50 job offer points, you don't just need a job offer from an employer but generally also an approved LMIA. The LMIA process is quite long and expensive for employer - generally speaking it's very difficult to find employers willing to go through this process. I would strongly recommend calculating your score without including points for a job offer. Chances are very high you won't have one that meets the requirements.

I see, would you recommend then to apply for EE and once I got permit just go and look for the job? It seems that landing a job before that may be quite challenging. My score without job offer is in that range anyway I have done it wrong for the first one so it is either 469 or 485.

I don't mind waiting longer time to receive permit, just want to ensure I will be doing it in the right way - not going longer way where I could get it earlier.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see, would you recommend then to apply for EE and once I got permit just go and look for the job? It seems that landing a job before that may be quite challenging. My score without job offer is in that range anyway I have done it wrong for the first one so it is either 469 or 485.

I don't mind waiting longer time to receive permit, just want to ensure I will be doing it in the right way - not going longer way where I could get it earlier.
I'm not sure what you're referring to by "permit". If you apply for EE and are approved, you receive permanent residency. Not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Kubisek9

Sep 17, 2019
I'm not sure what you're referring to by "permit". If you apply for EE and are approved, you receive permanent residency. Not sure if that's what you're referring to.
Yes, my CRS score seems to be 475 points, I will create my profile for EE and wait. With PR I can freely go and look for the Job inside Canada correct?
Thanks

Successtrong

Sep 26, 2019
I am applying for Canada visa TRV and I need to fill the application and write the names of my half-sisters, I really do not have any connection with them I don't know anything about them, please advise if that's okay if I didnt write their names ? Will the officers find out about that? I can only write my real sisters and brothers.

I really dont know anything about them.

Please advise

Appreciate your help here

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am applying for Canada visa TRV and I need to fill the application and write the names of my half-sisters, I really do not have any connection with them I don't know anything about them, please advise if that's okay if I didnt write their names ? Will the officers find out about that? I can only write my real sisters and brothers.

I really dont know anything about them.

Please advise

Appreciate your help here
It doesn't matter if you don't know them. You need to write their names.

Reactions: Successtrong

Successtrong

Sep 26, 2019
What if I didnt write about them? What could happen? Because if I write about them Then I will be asked to write information and if I don't have information, then I need declaration letter to the officer why I dont have information.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What if I didnt write about them? What could happen? Because if I write about them Then I will be asked to write information and if I don't have information, then I need declaration letter to the officer why I dont have information.
It's misrepresentation.

It's perfectly fine to say that you don't have the info because you aren't in contact with them.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The reason they care is to identify family ties. For example if they want to immigrate later and use you tog gt points. Do not worry, they do not care about anything more about them. So just get their names, dates of births and where they live now and thats it.

Successtrong

Sep 26, 2019
It's misrepresentation.

It's perfectly fine to say that you don't have the info because you aren't in contact with them.
They would say she doesn't have connection with her half sisters because may be they are having problems!so they will not give me a visa they would think that this woman has no respect and love to her sister, so how can they give a visa to someone like me has no good for her sisters then she would not do good for anyone, then they will give them this wrong impersion about my application

Successtrong

Sep 26, 2019
The reason they care is to identify family ties. For example if they want to immigrate later and use you tog gt points. Do not worry, they do not care about anything more about them. So just get their names, dates of births and where they live now and thats it.
I do not know their birth of dates because they are elder and I was not there when they were born and I do not where they live or even if they are alive or not! What do you think? Could this give an image about me that I am not good because I have no connection with my sister? My visa would be rejected because of this even if they did not say this reason.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
They would say she doesn't have connection with her half sisters because may be they are having problems!so they will not give me a visa they would think that this woman has no respect and love to her sister, so how can they give a visa to someone like me has no good for her sisters then she would not do good for anyone, then they will give them this wrong impersion about my application
No idea what you're saying here. IRCC doesn't care about your family relations or lack thereof - no one will deny you a visa because you say you're not in contact with your sisters.

Quite simply, if you don't answer the questions honestly, you will be committing misrepresentation and this may come back to bite you later.