Migrating to India with Canadian citizenship

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada does not allow parents to renounce their children's Canadian citizenship for them. I think India allows children born in another country that acquires the other citizenship to keep both until they reach the age of 18, when they would then have six months to choose which citizenship they want to keep.
Hi,

Do you have any reference for this? If it is true, I will keep Indian citizenship for my kids till they turn 18.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Those who are reading this post, kindly please answer the exact process. We have a child who is born in Canada and received Canadian citizenship. We are Indian parents holding Indian passports and we wish to settle back to India soon with our child. To stay in India for a Canadian born child, what are the requirements to be done by us so that our child can do his education and work in India? Does the child require Indian passport? Does Canada allows dual citizenship? Does India also provide dual citizenship or not? Should we register our son's Canadian passport as Oversees Citizenship of India(OCI) so that he can travel back and forth to Canada and India after he turns to 18 years of age?

Appreciate any other additional information on this regard.

Thanks.
A similar query - will colleges (& may be schools) ask for higher fees from students with OCI cards? I am assuming they will be considered NRIs & will have to pay fees as per NRI quota fees?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
A similar query - will colleges (& may be schools) ask for higher fees from students with OCI cards? I am assuming they will be considered NRIs & will have to pay fees as per NRI quota fees?
Seems OCI is being treated same as citizens. I think that some colleges may try to charge more money as still confusion due to long years of treating oci as NRI but looks like many colleges will agree for normal fee.
https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/oci-not-same-nris-can-write-entrance-exams-under-general-quota-k-taka-hc-100140
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/oci-students-eligible-for-admissionto-professional-courses-high-court/article26800322.ece
https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/karnataka/2020/dec/16/oci-students-eligible-for-govt-quota-seats-hc-2236810.html
"Since OCI holders found themselves in an ambiguous state, having only been loosely considered to be citizens and largely shelved into the same category as NRIs, a lot of confusion arose. In some instances, including applying for college, they were considered only under the NRI quota and not the general quota for Indian nationals. “The laws are ambiguous, and that’s something we are working on solidifying,” explains Naren. "

Reactions: softwaretesting

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,

Do you have any reference for this? If it is true, I will keep Indian citizenship for my kids till they turn 18.
https://www.mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/ic_act55.pdf

Under Paragraph 4, section 1A.
However, it seems in order to have made your kids eligible for Indian citizenship, you needed to have registered them with the Indian consulate within one year of their births, and in order to register them, you need to declare that they do not have a foreign passport. I would check with the consulate and verify these rules if I were you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

No, its not possible to keep both citizenship as per the consular. Its a political mess to penalize even the kids who are are not given option to keep till 18 unfortunately. The politicians dont want to update the system and procedures which is additional administrative expense and headache hence they avoid simply by denying dual citizenship.

Email response from Indian consular for my question:
-----------------------------------------------
Government of India does not allow dual citizenship as yet. If your child is getting Canadian citizenship, you may go ahead and acquire it, however, you need to surrender his Indian passport, procedure and fee for the same is provided on the Consulate’s website – www.cgitoronto.gov.in

As regards taking a decision at 18, your son can decide whether he would like to have Canadian or Indian citizenship. The provisions of Indian Citizenship Act amended from time to time are attached for your reference.
-----------------------------------------------

The only option: One can stop using Indian passport for travel and surrender the passport after few years after all the transition work in India is finished. Even you can use the passport but we end up paying fine but there is no need to surrender immediately (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php).