+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Migrate to Canada during school year

artur_ka

Aug 26, 2019
Hi everyone,

Did any of you recently migrate to Canada from the USA with kids during the ongoing school year? I have a daughter who just started second grade in the USA and boy in kindergarten (he is 5yo).

How difficult was to "transfer kid" to Canadian school?
Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you
Artur

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Did any of you recently migrate to Canada from the USA with kids during the ongoing school year? I have a daughter who just started second grade in the USA and boy in kindergarten (he is 5yo).

How difficult was to "transfer kid" to Canadian school?
Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you
Artur
Very easy. Your children are young. The only slight bump in the road is switching to a all French school in Quebec but little kids adapt very quickly. If you do move to Quebec your children will have to go to French schools.

artur_ka

Aug 26, 2019
VThe only slight bump in the road is switching to a all French school in Quebec but little kids adapt very quickly. If you do move to Quebec your children will have to go to French schools.
Thank you for your quick answer.
We will be migrating from an English speaking country to Ontario. The language will not be a problem.
What is the school registration process in Canada?
  • Do I have to reach out to school before I move and make sure school have a space available for my kids in school and kindergarten?
  • Can a school refuse place for the kids due to lack of free space in classes?
  • Based on my research, the mandatory age for kids to go to school is 6 yo, can someone confirm it?
  • If I want to send my kids to pre-k at age of 4 (I know Ontario provides early education) - do I have to pay for it or it is covered by the Province government?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your quick answer.
We will be migrating from an English speaking country to Ontario. The language will not be a problem.
What is the school registration process in Canada?
  • Do I have to reach out to school before I move and make sure school have a space available for my kids in school and kindergarten?
  • Can a school refuse place for the kids due to lack of free space in classes?
  • Based on my research, the mandatory age for kids to go to school is 6 yo, can someone confirm it?
  • If I want to send my kids to pre-k at age of 4 (I know Ontario provides early education) - do I have to pay for it or it is covered by the Province government?
You register when you arrive and have proof of your permanent address which would determine the catchment area. They are supposed to make arrangements for you to go one of the schools in your catchment area. Your child could end up in one of the schools if your preferred one has no room. Canada has junior kindergarten and kindergarten. Whether your child qualifies for junior kindergarten will depend on when they turn 4. You can look up those details. If you don’t qualify yes you’ll need to pay for daycare/preschool. Spots are difficult to find so if your child needs a spot look from the UK. The other issue is if both spouses work you’ll need to find a d pay for care after school and perhaps before school.

Reactions: artur_ka