+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Middle Name difference between my Phil passport and PR Card and other ID's

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hi everyone!

I am in the midst of finishing my citizenship application. However, I am bothered with my Middle name difference between my ID's and passport. In the Philippines, when single, Middle Name is the Mom's maiden surname. Once married, the original middle name is dropped, and her new Middle name will be her previously last name, and the new last name will be the husband's surname.

For example:
A. CoPR (Before marriage)
Given Name: Andrea Irah
Middle Name: Santos
Last Name: Reyes

B. Passport and Driver's License (Married):
Middle Name: Reyes
Last Name: Cruz

C. PR Card and Health Card (Married):

I have my Phil passport, Driver's License, Health Card and PR Card all updated now under my married name. But my middle name is my issue here. Both PR Card and Health Card are still under my Mom's maiden name (when I applied for renewal, they said need to do the legal name change process if insist to use "Reyes"). The Last name "Cruz" has been updated (my hubby's last name).

Here are my questions:
1. Which 2 pieces of ID's should I submit despite this Middle Name difference? Passport(Reyes) + PR Card & Health Card (Santos)? OR Passport and Driver's License (Reyes for both)?
2. For question 4a - "Your full name as shown on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card). "

I am using my CoPR for my name back when I was single (see item A above)

Then 4b, I answer "YES" if I have changed my name since becoming PR since technically, the second PR Card I have is the renewed one (following complete names as illustrated on item C)

Am I doing the right thing for these 2 questions?

3. If anyone has the same dilemma as me, please share your experience and what was your successful approach?

Thanks much!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone!

I am in the midst of finishing my citizenship application. However, I am bothered with my Middle name difference between my ID's and passport. In the Philippines, when single, Middle Name is the Mom's maiden surname. Once married, the original middle name is dropped, and her new Middle name will be her previously last name, and the new last name will be the husband's surname.

For example:
A. CoPR (Before marriage)
Last Name: Reyes

B. Passport and Driver's License (Married):
Middle Name: Reyes

C. PR Card and Health Card (Married):

I have my Phil passport, Driver's License, Health Card and PR Card all updated now under my married name. But my middle name is my issue here. Both PR Card and Health Card are still under my Mom's maiden name (when I applied for renewal, they said need to do the legal name change process if insist to use "Reyes"). The Last name "Cruz" has been updated (my hubby's last name).

Here are my questions:
1. Which 2 pieces of ID's should I submit despite this Middle Name difference? Passport(Reyes) + PR Card & Health Card (Santos)? OR Passport and Driver's License (Reyes for both)?
2. For question 4a - "Your full name as shown on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card). "

I am using my CoPR for my name back when I was single (see item A above)

Then 4b, I answer "YES" if I have changed my name since becoming PR since technically, the second PR Card I have is the renewed one (following complete names as illustrated on item C)

Am I doing the right thing for these 2 questions?

3. If anyone has the same dilemma as me, please share your experience and what was your successful approach?

Thanks much!
I think you should go with your current name and provide documents that show your current name.

Get your COPR amended with the correct name (You should apply for Verification of status with a name change request and provide documentary proof). You need this document later in life (for example, when requesting for old age benefits etc).