+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MHA or MPH

Dr Astro

Nov 27, 2019
Hi all ....
hope your all doing well ....

I’m actually in a dilemma ....
my Crs score for me and my wife wasn’t very satisfying ....
we're only getting 430s even with 7778 ielts score ....
so we’re are planning to migrate through students visa ....
I’m a bds grad and my wife is an mbbs grad ....
So I’m planning to enroll my wife for health related courses like MPH or MHA .... I’ve heard me being the spouse would also be able to travel with her and stay there during the duration of her courses ....

So my questions are

Which course do you all think would be helpful to fast track a PR ? MHA or MPH ...?
Which course has more scope in Canada to land a good job that can eventually lead to a PR ...?

Your help would be highly appreciated....
thank you ....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Neither. It would be difficult to get a job in either. Would go for an MBA or other masters in general administration or big data/tech related course. A spouse isn’t guaranteed a visa to accompany a spouse who is an international student but there is a better chance if you have the finances to support yourselves, even if nobody works, and you are doing a more advanced degree. With a surplus of dentists in Canada and a huge difficulty in getting licensed an international physician you may want to rethink whether Canada is the right option for you both.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/glut-of-dentists-causes-aches-in-canadas-big-cities/article36322773/ (Has only gotten worse in the 2 years since this article was published)

Dr Astro

Nov 27, 2019
Neither. It would be difficult to get a job in either. Would go for an MBA or other masters in general administration or big data/tech related course. A spouse isn’t guaranteed a visa to accompany a spouse who is an international student but there is a better chance if you have the finances to support yourselves, even if nobody works, and you are doing a more advanced degree. With a surplus of dentists in Canada and a huge difficulty in getting licensed an international physician you may want to rethink whether Canada is the right option for you both.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/glut-of-dentists-causes-aches-in-canadas-big-cities/article36322773/ (Has only gotten worse in the 2 years since this article was published)

Actually we did come to know it was going to be difficult for IMGs and dentists .... but we have made up our mind to settle down in Canada ....

So with a medical background , MPH or MHA are the options talked about here ....
So can you be more specific as to why my wife shouldn’t opt for neither of these two courses ...?
Is the market too dull ....?

And about the spouse thing , I’ve gathered info that id also be able to get a work permit through out the duration of my wife’s course ....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are a limited amount of public health jobs but it is a popular degree. There have been other IMGs on this forum who have had to return to do a nursing practionner degree after not finding employment in Public health. I’m not saying it is impossible but it is very saturated. Canada has a public health system so there isn’t huge management structures in hospitals like in private health systems. Most management has had hands on experience as a Canadian healthcare worker and then progressed to management. A much more general management degree would open you up to non-healthcare related jobs or else there is the option of trying to retrain in another healthcare role. Some try to get into nursing, ultrasound/radiation tech, etc. programs although those are all competitive programs as well.

Spouses of international students are allowed to apply to accompany a spouse when they study. Some get approved some don’t.

What was the goal in coming to Canada? Were you both trying to start practicing? What is your wife trained as? You seem to be a the very beginning of the process if you don’t know about the landscape for dentists or IMGs in Canada. You can still look at other countries. If your wife wants to practice medicine I would say don’t come to Canada. Such a small fraction get licensed and it’s getting harder.

Oct 16, 2019
Hi all ....
hope your all doing well ....

I’m actually in a dilemma ....
my Crs score for me and my wife wasn’t very satisfying ....
we're only getting 430s even with 7778 ielts score ....
so we’re are planning to migrate through students visa ....
I’m a bds grad and my wife is an mbbs grad ....
So I’m planning to enroll my wife for health related courses like MPH or MHA .... I’ve heard me being the spouse would also be able to travel with her and stay there during the duration of her courses ....

So my questions are

Which course do you all think would be helpful to fast track a PR ? MHA or MPH ...?
Which course has more scope in Canada to land a good job that can eventually lead to a PR ...?

Your help would be highly appreciated....
thank you ....
Hey dr.astro
I'm a medical graduate as well. Applied for a spouse open work permit and waiting for the approval.
I did an online certification program in clinical research. Apparently they need people with medical background in pharma industry and these job don't require any licenses. The only hurdle would be finding an employer who is willing to over look you're past work experience and hire you. Linked in is where you should start looking for recruiters. Though I strongly recommend find a CRA job in India get experience learn French if you can .And apply for express entry under this noc code 4165.
All the best.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey dr.astro
I'm a medical graduate as well. Applied for a spouse open work permit and waiting for the approval.
I did an online certification program in clinical research. Apparently they need people with medical background in pharma industry and these job don't require any licenses. The only hurdle would be finding an employer who is willing to over look you're past work experience and hire you. Linked in is where you should start looking for recruiters. Though I strongly recommend find a CRA job in India get experience learn French if you can .And apply for express entry under this noc code 4165.
All the best.
Also a possibility. Will be interesting to see what job opportunities you able to get with just an online certification in clinical research? Do you have a lot of experience in clinical research as well? Clinical research jobs are pretty competitive especially in Toronto where most of the jobs will be. Canada doesn’t have a huge pharma industry. Qualifying to move to Canada and whether people should actually immigrate are very different things.

Oct 16, 2019
Do you want my resume?
Here is my profile:
Bachelor's in medicine and survey.
Masters in Chinese medicine.
Advanced certification in acupuncture.
Certification in clinical research.
Worked in China as a research associate for 2 years.
Learning french in France right now.
And we are moving to Montreal which is another pharma hub.
Problem with most IMGs is that they only prefer to work as physicians. Which I agree it's almost impossible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you want my resume?
Here is my profile:
Bachelor's in medicine and survey.
Masters in Chinese medicine.
Advanced certification in acupuncture.
Certification in clinical research.
Worked in China as a research associate for 2 years.
Learning french in France right now.
And we are moving to Montreal which is another pharma hub.
Problem with most IMGs is that they only prefer to work as physicians. Which I agree it's almost impossible.
Yes one of the other centres of pharma but unfortunately has seen a big decline over the past 15 years. Many jobs have moved elsewhere. I am just pointing out that getting a job may still be challenging. I see many pharmacists immigrating to Canada planning on continuing their work in pharma. They seem unaware that the industry is significantly smaller than in India. You are moving to Canada to be with a spouse not because you want to leave your country. You also seem to have done a lot of thoughtful preparation knowing that practicing as a physician is likely to be difficult. Learning French is also a very smart idea. Many do not and have no desire to ever learn French even when working in Quebec. I constantly see IMGs who have done zero research on becoming a doctor in Canada as an IMG. They are so focused on immigrating they don’t do a simple google search. They would find a large number of IMGs who regret moving to Canada. They have done little preparation for a second career. Consultants tell them to do an MPH, MHA or other college health admin course. They maybe under the false impression that wait times meant need for doctors. Wait times are mostly budget issues. Even if someone has invested a bit of time and maybe a bit of money people can change their mind about immigrating to Canada. If I was a practicing physician and liked being a doctor I would look at moving elsewhere where I could actually practice medicine. Families and communities emphasize immigrating so much that people don’t actually research whether it actually makes sense for them to immigrate or choose to immigrate to Canada.

Reactions: dr.shahbaazshareef
Oct 16, 2019
Well said. I agree with you. It's true my country mates always seem to have this idea. Let's immigrate to Canada and start work.
Apart from research there are jobs in regulatory affairs and medical science liaison.
Just forget working as a physician. They need doctors it's true but the government doesn't want spend budget on hiring new doctors especially IMgS.
Because training them will cost them money and time.
They other field you can look into is social work.its a good field as well.
Just look for different options. Which are not regulated and don't require any licensure

Dr Astro

Nov 27, 2019
Hey dr.astro
All the best.

Hi sir .... thank you for replying .... I dont exactly know what a CRA job is ....

but the thing is actually I’m working as a consultant at VIDAL HEALTH INSURANCE at present .... I deal with insurance policy’s of employers working at SCORPIO and MAERSK tankers ..... Theyr UK based companys ....

so does my current job carry any similarities with that of a 4165 NOC ...? I read the job descriptions and that says they’re health policy researchers and consultants etc ....

If so I’d have a 3year experience before I travel to Canada .....

Oct 16, 2019
Yes it falls under the category. But your employer has to provide the details of your job responsibilities.

CRA work for the pharma companies. As monitors. There job is to make sure investigators are following the gcp guide lines. And report to the sponsors.
CRA job duties. Google this.
And your previous work I think it's related to medical science liaison. So 4165 fits the category.
Choose Nova Scotia or Saskatchewan.
I've read these provinces are easiest for immigration. I may be wrong you have to do your own research.
Where are you from if I may ask?

Dr Astro

Nov 27, 2019
Yes it falls under the category. But your employer has to provide the details of your job responsibilities.

CRA work for the pharma companies. As monitors. There job is to make sure investigators are following the gcp guide lines. And report to the sponsors.
CRA job duties. Google this.
And your previous work I think it's related to medical science liaison. So 4165 fits the category.
Choose Nova Scotia or Saskatchewan.
I've read these provinces are easiest for immigration. I may be wrong you have to do your own research.
Where are you from if I may ask?

Hi sir .... ok sir ...! I’ll have a look at them ....
I’m at present working in Bangalore, India ....
So your wife is going there for studies ...? Is she also a medical grad ....?

Oct 16, 2019
Im from Hyderabad, my wife is going to study agronomy and environmental sciences.
She is French. In Quebec she can study for really cheap since both countries have bilateral agreements.
I'm tagging along to get some experience. In future I plan to get a diploma in sonography. Then move to Australia.
UK, Canada, Australia are lacking sonographers and it's a good field you should also look into that. Algonquin college offers a p.g diploma but different provinces in Canada have different requirements for the license.
You have different options. But I strongly recommend you to learn French you will improve your crs score.

Dr Astro

Nov 27, 2019
Im from Hyderabad, my wife is going to study agronomy and environmental sciences.
She is French. In Quebec she can study for really cheap since both countries have bilateral agreements.
I'm tagging along to get some experience. In future I plan to get a diploma in sonography. Then move to Australia.
UK, Canada, Australia are lacking sonographers and it's a good field you should also look into that. Algonquin college offers a p.g diploma but different provinces in Canada have different requirements for the license.
You have different options. But I strongly recommend you to learn French you will improve your crs score.

Ohhh ok sir ... thanks a lottt .... will definitely look into it ....