Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-09-2022
Hi everyone,

First time poster,

I have a few questions; but I have already sent in my application for my wife and her under 18 year old dependent child, and I am looking to quell some of my fears. Our Sponsorship/ Spousal application was received at the CPC-Mississauga Office on September 15, 2022.

Question 1:

On https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp, I see that because my wife has is a Mexican Citizen with a Mexican Passport, I see this in the special instructions:

Mexico – Instruction(s) for documents
  • Official documents issued by this country must be government-certified true copies (copies certified as authentic by the issuing governmental authority, signed and sealed).
She gave me her and her dependent childs official Birth Certificate from the Mexico Consulate, I had the photocopies of the original certified by a Notary in Canada as authentic and then had them translated by a certified translator on a second copy. Is this sufficient based on the requirement as mentioned above? If not, do I risk having the application returned, or will they still accept?

Question 2:

This is a run off from question one. My wife is a single mother of her under 18 year dependent. She had the Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada form [IMM 5604] completed by the father, but was never married or even in common law and there are no existing custody documents from the courts in Mexico. Is this a problem? The father never supported her or his child. For the ID requirement with a signature, she received a copy of the CURP card (I believe?)- does this require certification or translation? I did not have either done. Will this be a problem as well? It looks like a drivers license with a photo and signature.

Question 3:

My wife is here on Implied status for a visitor record application, after her initial six month stay ended earlier this year, and their old passports that she used on her visitor record extension have since expired, but she has received her new passports from the Mexico Consulate already. Will they message us and ask us if we have updated documents to provide in relation to this?

Thank you all, I appreciate all your valuable inputs, I have attempted to research all three of these questions on the forums already, but to no avail.

Thank you!

Last edited:

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Q1. Yes this is sufficient and you followed the correct procedure for certification and translation. So these special instructions exist because, technically, all certificates of any kind in Mexico are not "originals." All copies we get from the Mexican Civil Registration are government-certified true copies. So even though in our minds we think we have the "original" is just a certified copy.

Q2. Any document that is not in English or French has to be accompanied by a translation and a certified copy. If the Officer wants to see this they will contact you.

Q3. I'm not sure about this one, but I guess that yes, they will contact you to provide an updated passport. But I don't get it, if you just applied this September 15 did your wife get her passport after your Spousal sponsorship application was received? I don't understand what was the timeline.

Reactions: stevsom

stevsom

Sep 25, 2022
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-09-2022
Thank you @yoli85 , some very great information indeed! ;)

Would I be able to follow up to your answers if it's possible?

For your answer 1, I forgot to include Passports. Because the Mexico passport is both in Spanish and English, I do not believe this requirement applies.

For your answer 2, I'm just afraid that they will reject my application before the AOR phase because I forgot to translate the CURP card of my wifes' son's father - if that makes any sense, but it looks like more of a Canadian Drivers' License, which I know is no excuse.

My question is will my application get returned because of this? Or will I still get my AOR with this document as it is?

For your answer 3:
I applied for the Spousal Sponsorship on the 15 of September (received at CPC-M) but for the Visitor Record, I had her apply back in April - as she was closing in on her 6 month initial stay. But her passport expired in September, but she picked up a new passport at the beginning of this Summer from the Mexico Consulate. She is still here in Canada, so my best guess is that they will look for an updated copy of their passport. Their new passport is in the Spousal application as well.

Since it takes more or less than 200 days for the IRCC to process these (visitor records), at this point in time I'm waiting for three applications: The Visitor Record, the OWP and the Sponsorship.

Q1. Yes this is sufficient and you followed the correct procedure for certification and translation. So these special instructions exist because, technically, all certificates of any kind in Mexico are not "originals." All copies we get from the Mexican Civil Registration are government-certified true copies. So even though in our minds we think we have the "original" is just a certified copy.

Q2. Any document that is not in English or French has to be accompanied by a translation and a certified copy. If the Officer wants to see this they will contact you.

Q3. I'm not sure about this one, but I guess that yes, they will contact you to provide an updated passport. But I don't get it, if you just applied this September 15 did your wife get her passport after your Spousal sponsorship application was received? I don't understand what was the timeline.

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
For your answer 1, I forgot to include Passports. Because the Mexico passport is both in Spanish and English, I do not believe this requirement applies.
Yeah, that's not a problem

My question is will my application get returned because of this? Or will I still get my AOR with this document as it is?
I can't give a definitive answer, but if you're lucky maybe it will be accepted as-is by the officer. Wait until you hear from IRCC for either a returned application or an AOR.

For your answer 3:
I applied for the Spousal Sponsorship on the 15 of September (received at CPC-M) but for the Visitor Record, I had her apply back in April - as she was closing in on her 6 month initial stay. But her passport expired in September, but she picked up a new passport at the beginning of this Summer from the Mexico Consulate. She is still here in Canada, so my best guess is that they will look for an updated copy of their passport. Their new passport is in the Spousal application as well.
Ok, I think I wasn't understanding the situation. So your concern is about the visitor record. I think that by the point they get to review they will ask for the new passport details. If I were in the same position, I'd send the scanned new passports now via Webform, since you already have the application number for the Visitor record, there are good chances the Officer(s) will be able to attach the new copies to the application.

There are no guarantees the same officer will see the new passport details but keep a printout of the Webform submittal for your records. I've read in this forum that people often have to submit additional documentation several times until the IRCC officers can finally put two and two together.

Reactions: stevsom

stevsom

Sep 25, 2022
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-09-2022
Thank you again @yoli85 for your help! ;)

Would there be anyone else be able to chime in or have experience with the IMM 5604 form and this requirement from question one?

Thanks!

Yeah, that's not a problem

I can't give a definitive answer, but if you're lucky maybe it will be accepted as-is by the officer. Wait until you hear from IRCC for either a returned application or an AOR.

Ok, I think I wasn't understanding the situation. So your concern is about the visitor record. I think that by the point they get to review they will ask for the new passport details. If I were in the same position, I'd send the scanned new passports now via Webform, since you already have the application number for the Visitor record, there are good chances the Officer(s) will be able to attach the new copies to the application.

There are no guarantees the same officer will see the new passport details but keep a printout of the Webform submittal for your records. I've read in this forum that people often have to submit additional documentation several times until the IRCC officers can finally put two and two together.