+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mexican grandaughter wants to move to Canada and work. What are the steps?

wtexan

Feb 6, 2019
I am Canadian by birth, my wife is PR, her grandaugther is a Mexican National, who has completed college in Mexico, is 23 years old.
We 3 will be flying to Toronto the first week of April from Cancun . I need help in the way of what steps this girl needs to take to be able to work in Canada . My current plan is to have her arrive as a visitor. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am Canadian by birth, my wife is PR, her grandaugther is a Mexican National, who has completed college in Mexico, is 23 years old.
We 3 will be flying to Toronto the first week of April from Cancun . I need help in the way of what steps this girl needs to take to be able to work in Canada . My current plan is to have her arrive as a visitor. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
If she wants to be able to work in Canada, the first step is to find an employer in Canada willing to give her a job offer. The next step is for that employer to apply for and obtain an approved LMIA. This process requires the employer to advertise the job first for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role and also pay a $1000 fee. Once she has the job offer and the employer has obtained the approved LMIA, she can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

If she happens to get a job offer in an occupation that falls under CUSMA, then the employer does not need to get an approved LMIA and she can apply directly for the closed work permit with the job offer. For this to be possible, her education and any work experience would need to match the occupation of the job offer. You can find the occupation list here: https://www.canadavisa.com/nafta-professionals.html

Either way, first step is to secure a job offer with a Canadian employer who is willing to go through the process of hiring a foreign worker.

When she flies to Canada, make sure she has a return ticket since she is only entering as a visitor and is not permitted to live in Canada or to move here.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Just to add, she needs an approved LMIA when the employer cannot find a Canadian/PR to do the job. Only she has the work skills and education. Make sure she has IELTS and ECA. Don’t know if she is eligible under CUSMA because those are for specific professions - law, engineer etc.