+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MENTAL ILLNESS & CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

Lean01

Feb 22, 2018
I am a permanent resident in Canada who had just suffered traumatic events for the last 2 months which involved both of my babies who got very ill in the hospital and unexpectedly my father's passing afterwards. I am feeling depressed, stressed and traumatized about these occurences happening recently in my life. I would like to seek help from my family doctor about what I am going thru right now but I am afraid that this might affect my eligibility to apply for Canadian Citizenship in May 2018. We arrived in Canada in March 27, 2015 and according to the citizenship calculator, we would be eligible to file on May 5, 2018 which would comply to the 1095 days out of the 3/5 yr period required for residency (we were out of the country for 40 days in 2017 out of the 3 yr period).

I am not convicted in any crime and have a clean criminal record. Currently, I am on leave because of the stress that I have.

Would mental illness ( depression or post traumatic disorder) affect my eligibility to apply for the citizenship though I would be able to submit all the requirements and pass the citizenship exam? I am afraid to be refused because they may think that I am not fully functioning as an individual if they would look into my medical file.

Does someone have the same experience or know anyone that had this but was able to acquire their citizenship despite of the illness?

Thank you and I would really appreciate your help.

Reactions: qorax

ohhhhusa

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
I'm sorry to hear about your issues.
That's not gonna affect you citizenship application. If you were applying to be a PR, it would be a different story.
Will you be able to study the book and pass the citizenship exam? That's a question only you can answer.

Reactions: Lean01 and qorax

Chai_to_Double-double

Nov 22, 2017
You're thinking too much.... Canada protects all individuals inside of Canada having government health coverage (like OHIP in Ontario) regardless of their residency status.

Think of this way- if you continue to remain a PR wouldn't Canada keep you or will they cancel your PR ?

As long as you don't commit a crime, you are eligible to apply and get a citizenship.
(provided you pass the test too)

Mental illness or any other type of illness doesn't impact citizenship application.

Reactions: Lean01 and qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi Lean01, as others replied - you'll face no issues with your citizenship application. To further help you relax let me tell you the case of my own family member:
~ Diagnosis: Takayasu disorder and Bi-Polar, migrated to Schizophrenia
~ Physical abuse case proceeded with Ontario Justice of Peace
~ Pardoned under MHA and kept on probation
~ Treatment proceeded with William Osler and placed under CTO
~ Citizenship application approved without knowledge test (waived under special jurisprudence)

Please have faith in yourself and seek medical help IMMEDIATELY.

All the best ma'am!

Lean01

Feb 22, 2018
Thank you so much everyone for helping me answer the worries that I have. @qorax: May I ask if your other family members were able to get their citizenship first before the other one who was diagnosed got his? Thanks.

Reactions: qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thank you so much everyone for helping me answer the worries that I have. @qorax: May I ask if your other family members were able to get their citizenship first before the other one who was diagnosed got his? Thanks.
We had submitted all papers ourselves. There were questions asked - which we replied. And everything was completed in 'normal' time. All went for the oath together.

Kavesana

Oct 17, 2017
My son has schizophrenia, we applied for Canadian citizenship as family, he is 23 years. Recently they asked for his fingerprints to complete the application, he is refusing to go for fingerprints and I know that this is because off illness, he doesn’t trust anyone even me as mother, it’s hallucinations. Does anyone knows or direct me what to do, we have been given 90days and a month is gone.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My son has schizophrenia, we applied for Canadian citizenship as family, he is 23 years. Recently they asked for his fingerprints to complete the application, he is refusing to go for fingerprints and I know that this is because off illness, he doesn’t trust anyone even me as mother, it’s hallucinations. Does anyone knows or direct me what to do, we have been given 90days and a month is gone.
Unfortunately as an adult you can't force him to go and do biometrics. Would suggest speaking to an immigration lawyer about potential options or you may need to wait until he is better stabilized to pursue citizenship.